SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
Comments by Leno

Consistent with the collectible factor of the ZR1, Barrett Jackson confirms that Corvettes are getting the top results right now. The novelty factor will surely be a great aspect of this car.

Jay Leno has some great things to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymR4w...eature=related

Second link if need be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku9e5...eature=related
Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 AM

2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
I'd get a Z06 and save the rest for something else. The ZR1 will be fast but personally I'd rather have a Vette w/o a supercharger. The GTR is fast too but way too ugly, personally, for that kind of money.

Whoever says Corvettes can't turn are obviously tools. That was funny like ten years ago. The Z06 and its cousins the C5R and C6R have proven otherwise.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 AM
NSM

SL65
The guys who say vettes don't turn spend zero time at road courses...

Thinking back, I've seen exactly one MB on the track in the last 6 open track days. And that was an old 60's vintage racer (really nice). I don't track my MB either, have other cars better suited for it.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
When I got the Z06, I got it for a whollllle bunch of reasons.
1) Price: I got it for $8,000 under sticker.
2) Looks: The thing looks like the batmobile and I love how sinister and exotic it is. The widebody on the Z06 is pretty menacing.
3) 7 Liters: Once again, just badass. A 427 V8 thundering down the highway does it for me.
4) Moddability: Believe it or not, the Z06 in it's n/a form can be modded into a complete street animal.
5) Chicas: Girls dig it. It definitely gets their approval.
6) Fellas: Guys are jealous as hell and idolize me.
7) Manual: I want to own a manual transmission car at least once in my life.
8) Raw: It was a pretty big contrast from my old Mercedes. I wanted something pretty hardcore that I could beatup day and night. I could've gotten an AMG or a used M6...but this thing is an experience.
9) Drivability: Not gonna lie, this thing is much softer and civil than I expected. I knew I needed a car that I could drive anywhere, but my expectations were greatly exceeded. This thing is just about as livable as an SL.
10) It's so me...
ummmm, not to offend - but does the Z06 also help compensate for a really small *****?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by novabenz
ummmm, not to offend - but does the Z06 also help compensate for a really small *****?
Sorry, don't have that problem...but I guess the answer to that depends on the driver.

I'm sure that if you owned one it might give you a temporary mental fix for that tiny wee-wee you see in the mirror. Or maybe your SL55 already does the job?

What a world we live in...
Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
I though this was a question based thread not a size difference thread
Old 05-03-2008, 01:46 AM

05 E500
does the Z06 also help compensate for a really small *****?
And you're stating others are acting like "12 year olds"?

What a shame that in this MB forum (where one would think that civil maturity would be in greater supply) one has to witness this degree of petty antics, and in this case from those that said that this thread sucks and shouldn't even be here if they are that discontent. Instead, they stay around to throw insults at others.

Can't we merely utilize the forum for insightful exchanges and productive interaction? We might disagree on things, but that's what healthy interaction is about about. But these personal digs should be beneath us. So juvenile.

What a world we live in...
Sad but true.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by c2jones

What a shame that in this MB forum (where one would think that civil maturity would be in greater supply) one has to witness this degree of petty antics, and in this case from those that said that this thread sucks and shouldn't even be here if they are that discontent. Instead, they stay around to throw insults at others.

Can't we merely utilize the forum for insightful exchanges and productive interaction? We might disagree on things, but that's what healthy interaction is about about. But these personal digs should be beneath us. So juvenile.

Sad but true.
Andrew Jackson series on HBO that's where the sentence structure and wording your using is coming from. I wonder if andrew invented the first vette?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:04 AM

05 E500
Andrew Jackson series on HBO that's where the sentence structure and wording your (you're) using is coming from.
Never heard of the person. You know, it might not be totally out of the realm of reality that the reason you see similar patterns between some writers is because we have the same original source. English class. Imagine that.

Glad it entertains you, however; you might even gain something.

Be good.

Last edited by c2jones; 05-03-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:13 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Never heard of the person. You know, it might not be totally out of the realm of reality that the reason you see similar patterns between some writers is because we have the same original source. English class. Imagine that.

Glad it entertains you, however; you might even gain something.

Be good.
Not only did you take the wrong english class (old english) but you must not of attended history class http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/aj7.html
Old 05-03-2008, 07:23 PM

Sad but true.

I left my350z because of that, but whee, I found it here. I guess no matter what income bracket you are at, you will always find tools associated with a car brand.

So what did the OP purchase?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:24 PM

05 E500
Not only did you take the wrong english class (old english) but you must not of (have) attended history class
My goodness you are aloof in your ways. I was referring to that HBO show you cited, silly, in which I thought that there was a character with the same name doing the show, for which I said I had never heard of that person. Meaning, I have never even heard of that program nor the person doing the show, which I thought was a person also named Andrew Jackson, due to the way you (improperly) worded your statement with no break in the sentence.

Of course I am very familiar with THE Andrew Jackson who won the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812 and became president of the United States. His face is also on every $20.00 bill I have ever handed out, naturally.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:54 AM

CLS63, GLK350
My goodness you are aloof in your ways. I was referring to that HBO show you cited, silly, in which I thought that there was a character with the same name doing the show, for which I said I had never heard of that person. Meaning, I have never even heard of that program nor the person doing the show, which I thought was a person also named Andrew Jackson, due to the way you (improperly) worded your statement with no break in the sentence.

Of course I am very familiar with THE Andrew Jackson who won the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812 and became president of the United States. His face is also on every $20.00 bill I have ever handed out, naturally.
You really need to come out of the closet
Old 05-04-2008, 01:06 AM

CLS63, GLK350
C2 i finally figured it out you like vettes because they must be easy to pickup guys in
Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 AM

05 E500
finally figured it out
Nope. You don't seem to ever figure things out.

I have never owned a Corvette. However, I am considering getting on the list for a ZR1. I believe I will be successful and elated to do so. I have owned many MB's and will continue to. I am a longtime member of MBCA. I have said all this about a million times now.

I don't associate "picking up" anyone with regards to what vehicle I may choose. They are totally unrelated. If you deem them related, this speaks only of your own desperate, needy and ego-challenged existence that looks for outside devices to substitute the person whom you clearly are not.

Real simple. Grow up.

Should you ever finally "figure this out," you will see how foolish you sound now. My wife would be surprised that I even responded to the likes of you. Actually, honestly, I was hoping you might gain something and I was trying to help you. You need plenty of it.

Enough of the trivialities.

Last edited by c2jones; 05-05-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 AM

2009 C63
I like sticking around this thread - it's fun!
Oh, and c2jones - its very well known that male Corvette drivers = undersized *****.
I must have hit a nerve with you, considering your response..
Old 05-05-2008, 01:21 PM

05 E500
I like sticking around this thread - it's fun!
Just earlier you said that this thread sucks with your little graphic. Now you say its fun. In other words, like a child, you don't know what you want. You truly need to grow up. You said others were acting like 12 year olds, when in fact, just browsing your postings exposes you for the woefully immature person you are - almost every single posting you show this.

No, no nerve was stricken. I am far more confident within myself for that, unlike your vain self hiding behind your car while you state this of others. Its very clear with you. You are fathoms beneath me. I have no further desire for this petty exercise with you. Go down and volunteer at the juvenile delinquency center. Perhaps they will give you weekend activities with others like you. That will keep you busy with those like-minded to you.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 PM

2009 C63
Sticks and stones.....
Haha C2 - keep it up!
You remind me of a bitter old queen who must always get the last word in.
I'll revise my earlier statement's about ***** size as same would relate to you.
Given your posting I'm convinced you are almost ready for your sexual reassignment to fully female.
The estrogen shots must be taking their toll on your mind, but once they remove your ********* you should be all set to continue as the nagging b*tch you are.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 PM

600Hp Z06, Passat W8, BMW 850ci, Acura TL A-SpecSL500 sold, LS430(sold), C6 Z06(sold), Sierra Denali
I have a c6 Z06 and Sl500

The ZR1 will be fast, I odnt see how it can get the power down when my Z06 has trouble getting it down. Sl65 is awesome but not for $195K, buy a used one of them for $88K and enjoy the ride and quietness. My Z06 I drove cross country, i bought it from Hennessey Performance, and drove 1400 miles. It sucked. The Z06 is fun in town for about 10 minutes but otherwise its a piece of **** with a sweet motor, fast as hell, blow away 99.5% of cars out there. my next car will be a SL55 or SL65
Old 05-05-2008, 08:24 PM

05 E500
Nova,

Who's "nagging" whom? You are obviously a little kid who's searching for an identity. Go find an old episode of Ninja Turtles to watch and leave the brain cell interactions to those that aren't still shedding baby teeth.

And, to the contrary, as has been covered here before, the more performance oriented the car, the more it is generally associated with a bigger *****, not a smaller one. You have the whole "well known" stereotype all wrong. For instance, Vipers and Shelby Cobras, being raw and wild, are considered big ***** cars. Meaning, it takes more man to tame them. Z06 would also be in this segment. Not SL's that have all those driver aids. Many guys with the potent cars say SL's are for girls (not my words). You would know.

Guys like you bring shame to this forum and are the poster children for the ego-deficient that need your cars to elevate yourselves. Pathetic. Grow up.

Last edited by c2jones; 05-05-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:40 PM

05 E500
The ZR1 will be fast, I odnt see how it can get the power down when my Z06 has trouble getting it down.
ZR1 will be more civilized, believe it or not, than Z06, reportedly. It will have the highly acclaimed Magnetic shock system and the all aluminum frame and advanced composites are said to make the overall experience much more refined. ZR1 shares technology with supercars costing many times more (even Veyron) and has technology that Ferrari and BMW and others are licensing.

That's all been covered here in this thread.

If you think Z06 / ZR1 has troubles getting the power down, then you will not be bettering that with 65. The power breaks loose and does not hook up any better (probably worse). At the strips at least, the 600's were routinely beating the 65's for the longest time, likely still are.

And if you got your Corvette from Hennessey Performance, then this was probably highly modified for added performance? (That's typically the case with them.) If that's the case, of course it will not have the creature comfort daily driver aspect of a MB luxury car. MB's have automatics standard and electric by-wire braking, etc. Not the same targeted buyer, naturally.

If you want advanced supercar like characteristics with advanced composites like ZR1, and yet the refined element of SL, you may want to look into the SL65 Black Series. Will cost at least twice as much as ZR1, but it will give you the more ginger feel you're looking for.

Last edited by c2jones; 05-05-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 PM

05 E500
More on the Draxlmaier Interior

Originally posted by Germancar1: “The supplier in question is only supplying GM with the basics like the leather finish and stitching.”
From the Winter 2007 Corvette Quarterly’s report (pgs. 43-49) on the Corvette’s upgraded interior: “The console components were also manufactured by Draxlmaier.” The article then goes on to described in detail Draxlmaier’s hydrographic process for manufacturing said console components. So the notion that Draxelmaier is “only supplying GM with the basics like the leather finish and stitching” is, again, materially false, figuratively and literally.

A word on the leather finishing, again from Corvette Quarterly’s report, “Draxlmaier worked with another German supplier, Bader, to provide a very special leather with a consistent grain pattern for the Corvette application. The leather is taken from the backs of special German bred cows that were raised in Mexico. Because the leather-wrapped components are actually bonded to the standard instrument and door panels, the leather had to be very pliable in order to neatly fit into crevices and corners and not affect clearances for door openings or other operational surfaces.” The article further notes that the pieces are all “hand sewn.” So, as Draxelmaier is the company doing interiors on MB, Maybach and others, as well as Corvette (with the upgraded interior package), the gap is closing considerably, despite the latter not being a luxury car.

The STS-V has the same supplier and yet its interior doesn't match an E63 or CLS63 AMG either. Motor Trend, Car and Driver and others have pointed this out over and over.”
Car and Driver ran two tests of the STS-V, a preview test in February 2005 and a comparison test in January 2006. Of the STS-V’s interior Car and Driver has this to say from their preview test, “Inside, the STS-V gets a luxurious leather-wrapped instrument cluster, suede-like seat inserts, olive-ash burled-wood trim, and various accents. The look definitely works for us, but we won't get a chance to drive the car until late spring.” I have not noticed further comments from those magazines implying the STS-V did not "match" those MB models, nor have others I've corresponded with, but as they say the former "works for them," without any disclaimer or clarification, I think its safe to say they deemed all presentations relatively on par with each other.

From their later comparison test in January 2006 Car and Driver noted that, “Inside, the STS-V is richly appointed with enough leather to clothe a small herd of Black Angus — hides on the door panels and dashboard, as well as the seats. The latter have suede inserts to help keep occupants centered in hard cornering, although more bolstering would help. Cadillac enlisted Dräxlmaier for the V's interior décor. The same outfit did the Maybach, and if the Caddy has no granite trim option, it does have olive-stained ash. The whole package is tasteful, roomy, and arguably the most comfortable in this threesome, thanks to the relatively creamy ride and best control layout of the bunch.” Said threesome included notably, a 2006 Mercedes CLS55.

In their February 2005 review Road and Track described the STS-V as having, “An attractive and sumptuous cabin.”

Autoweek’s review noted that, “We love the seats, finding them spacious and comfortable but highly supportive at the same time. Many like how the entire interior feels tied together from a design standpoint, and appreciate the high-quality materials and flawless fit-and-finish throughout. To a staffer we feel particularly grateful for the simple, no-nonsense instrumentation.”

For their part, Motor Trend said of the STS-V’s interior in comparison to a CLS55, “Both have fine, stitched-leather instrument panels. GMPD contracted Drexel Meyer (sic), which also does Maybach's leather, to handle the leather and suede hides on the STS-v's dash, seats, and door panels. And it has heated rear seats, while the Benz has them only up front.” The article notes that the authors thought the Mercedes’ seats to be more comfortable for the long haul and that they wished Draxlmaier had been there from the ground up but described Draxlmaier’s work as “admittedly good” and then adds that one problem for Cadillac’s interior in the comparison was that “Mercedes is rebounding on interior quality.” Rebounding? One would think they had never dropped off, given assertions that MB never dropped the ball anywhere else than mechanical gremlins, etc. Fit and finish was said to be the mainstay. On point, the assessment that MB is improving while Corvette is not, is incorrect. Both are improving, but the former most dramatically, to its credit (and yes, overdue).

So once again, the assertions that reviewers have “pointed out over and over” supposed lesser standards of Draxlmaier’s work with Cadillac and that “This isn't news to me, Cadillac made a big deal about it with the STS-V only to have the same old complaints about GM's interior being cheap come right back,” are, again, repeatedly incorrect. These assertions do, however, speak to the adamant notions (and overly pronounced partisanship) of some critics who, were apparently never totally aware of these facts in the first place, continue a “research by proclamation” approach in the hope that something, anything, will be readily believed by a supposedly (GM) gullible audience. I don't buy it. I am prone to finding this suggestive that you, like some others (most), were then (and remain now) unaware of those relevant details.

Originally posted by Germancar1 : “Please don't try to suggest that a Corvette's interior is on part with a Bugatti or anything else of the ilk because any sane person knows it isn't. It isn't even close.”
Would not go that far of course; are we not talking million dollar cars here? It was simply noted that they do share the same interior supplier whose work (noting actual reviews above as opposed to your wayward implications of same) remains exemplary both in the Corvette’s (upgraded leather option) interior and that in Bugatti’s. You are looking to dismiss this with notions of inequality with interior applications from one make over another. What is especially clear is that modern Corvette interiors with advanced leather option (for those that require this in a supercar as you would, on the idea of a $100K car looking like one inside), is quite adequate all things considered, and certainly a long way from the "same" as Malibu and Cobalt, and other skewed remarks of this kind.

Just making a point that old perceptions are just that. That's all.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ferraribuysell
The ZR1 will be fast, I odnt see how it can get the power down when my Z06 has trouble getting it down. Sl65 is awesome but not for $195K, buy a used one of them for $88K and enjoy the ride and quietness. My Z06 I drove cross country, i bought it from Hennessey Performance, and drove 1400 miles. It sucked. The Z06 is fun in town for about 10 minutes but otherwise its a piece of **** with a sweet motor, fast as hell, blow away 99.5% of cars out there. my next car will be a SL55 or SL65
Hennessey has a history of complaints, especially for unfinished work... hopefully they didn't ruin your car
Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 PM

05 E500
Hennessey has a history of complaints, especially for unfinished work...
So true. The Viper guys especially could tell horror stories. Some say Hennessey is improving, but this might not be saying much. Maybe the numerous suits are making a difference.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 AM

2009 C63
c2jones:

Didn't know how sexy you looked dressed up!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2009 Vette ZR1 or 2009 Benz SL65???