SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Pano roof how much does it weigh?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
Pano roof how much does it weigh?

Someone posted that the Pano Roof on my SL65 adds 80 Lbs. I was looking at the pano roof as compared to my SL55 without it and the only difference I can see is the glass and shade which are not 80 lbs..

Is there more structural metal or somthing that I am missing that add that much weight?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM

M Cars, old Corvettes, other old Detroit Muscle, etc.
Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
Is there more structural metal or somthing that I am missing that add that much weight?
76.5 lb (34.7 kg) net difference due to very thick glass and other structural mods.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:06 PM

SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
The glass is very thin! Only 3/16 (5mm)

On my SL65 the glass is very thin only 3/16 inch and is approx 7 sq ft. At 2.5 lbs per foot that is 17.5 lbs. I spent about 20 minutes closely examining the two SLs and the entire top and all mechanisms look identical on both.

I think that the 76 lbs that you are quoting is the entire upper top assembly with the Pano roof being only slightly heavier then the standard roof..

I am not saying that I want the extra weight in the absolute wrong place but I dont think that it is anywhere near 76 lbs heavier..
Old 04-15-2008, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
CLK55, CL500, Q45
Dont forget all the rails and reinforcements between the sheet
metal and the headliner which must be added to compensate
for the glass. You cant have the pressure from body roll go
thru the glass or it will crack and spiderweb, so reinforcements
are put to take the pressure around the glass to the other side.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 X5 4.4i
Originally Posted by rajah996
Dont forget all the rails and reinforcements between the sheet
metal and the headliner which must be added to compensate
for the glass. You cant have the pressure from body roll go
thru the glass or it will crack and spiderweb, so reinforcements
are put to take the pressure around the glass to the other side.
I have no idea re the weight of the pano roof, but as an interesting note re the above post, believe it or not the glass in cars (especially the windshield) is structural, and (especially in convertables) serves to stiffen the car against torsional loads around the longitudinal axis of the vehicle. As it turns out, depending on the load vector, modern auto-glass is incredibly strong stuff.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:40 AM

The roof panels are not structructural.

The SL roof panels are 2 separate panels mounted to a top frame similar to a convertible top bows. The frames is where the added structural support is achieved. The roof panels are all rubber supported and add only a little bit of rigidity or structuaral support when the top is up.

I examined the glass in the Pano roof very carefully and it basically just replaces the aluminum tops cut out center panel. The glass is bonded to the roof panel at the MB factory and the glass cannot be ordered separately. Plus the Pano roof even comes factory painted (your chassis # or paint code is required) while the standard roof panel comes only primed.

Yes you are also correct that glass (especially tempered glass) can add structural support and is often considered in buildings as load bearing or shear rated to a degree. Except in the case of glass block which has full structural and load bearing ratings that are very high.

The bottom line is that the Pano roof IMHO only adds about 15-18 Lbs over the standard roof.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:00 AM

Bentley Arnage Red Label
The SL roof panels are 2 separate panels mounted to a top frame similar to a convertible top bows. The frames is where the added structural support is achieved. The roof panels are all rubber supported and add only a little bit of rigidity or structuaral support when the top is up.

I examined the glass in the Pano roof very carefully and it basically just replaces the aluminum tops cut out center panel. The glass is bonded to the roof panel at the MB factory and the glass cannot be ordered separately. Plus the Pano roof even comes factory painted (your chassis # or paint code is required) while the standard roof panel comes only primed.

Yes you are also correct that glass (especially tempered glass) can add structural support and is often considered in buildings as load bearing or shear rated to a degree. Except in the case of glass block which has full structural and load bearing ratings that are very high.

The bottom line is that the Pano roof IMHO only adds about 15-18 Lbs over the standard roof.
I looked into this a while back and I feel the same way as you that the number thrown around is the total weight of the top pieces and the pano may be a few lbs different but thats about it. I didn't see anything that was any different in the mechanism either.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Juice it
I looked into this a while back and I feel the same way as you that the number thrown around is the total weight of the top pieces and the pano may be a few lbs different but thats about it. I didn't see anything that was any different in the mechanism either.
Here is the answer from the AMG people:

Lou,

The added weight of the panoramic roof is 17.38 lbs more than the normal roof for the SL 55 (230).

Best Regards,
AMG Private Lounge Team
Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 PM

I GUESSED THAT IT WEIGHED 15-18LBS MORE... EXACTLY THE WEIGHT OF THE GLASS ONLY!

I hate being that good...

I examined the top and the only difference I could see was the glass and sun screen. I estimated 15-18 Lbs and was dead on! (17.4 lbs)

Not that I want the extra 17 lbs up at the highest point, but I like the Pano roof and adding only and extra 17 lbs is definately worth having the rare option.

Plus the SL65 is already a super heavy weight (4,465 lbs) and 17 lbs (2 gallons of fuel) will never be noticedon any of the R230s!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL 600 640bhp/1000Nm
Not that I want the extra 17 lbs up at the highest point,
But when You fold the top that extra weigth get over the rear wheels. That must mean more traction?
Maybe I should get some sandbags in the trunk