SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: For those interested in 2009 SL's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GTR Roadster, 2020 GT63S
Smile For those interested in 2009 SL's

The 2009 SL's are now on the MBUSA web site "Build Your Own."
Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
You still can't build yet though, it isn't updated.

M
Old 05-02-2008, 08:56 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
srice, curious what your impression of SL63 030 brake pedal feel was during your LV track time last wk....

Was able to briefly drive a colleague's SL63 030 a couple days ago, and both of us agreed that our immediate and significant disappointment w/SL63 dynamics is sloppy brake pedal feel...too much pedal travel before bite...

We each have driven CL63 030 for past ?10-12mos and actually view CL's excellent brake pedal feel as notably better than SL's....

Was wondering if this is a one-off variation....perspective of an S63 driver would be helpful....TIA
Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by WSH
srice, curious what your impression of SL63 030 brake pedal feel was during your LV track time last wk....

Was able to briefly drive a colleague's SL63 030 a couple days ago, and both of us agreed that our immediate and significant disappointment w/SL63 dynamics is sloppy brake pedal feel...too much pedal travel before bite...

We each have driven CL63 030 for past ?10-12mos and actually view CL's excellent brake pedal feel as notably better than SL's....

Was wondering if this is a one-off variation....perspective of an S63 driver would be helpful....TIA
WSH:

I have been driving a "Launch Edition" SL63, which includes the 030 package, for two days, now. The S63 has been relegated to the garage - at least for the time being. I have put about 150 miles on it. That's in addition to the track time in Las Vegas. I think the problem you are describing is a one-off issue. This is the fourth SL63 I have driven, and I never noticed any issue with the brakes. I would not call them "tight," but they are certainly not "sloppy."

I have to admit that I am surprised and amazed with the performance of the SL63. I expected it to be great, having driven it in Las Vegas, but that somewhat sterile setting does not give you an appreciatioin of how incredible it is on the road. The Launch Edition paint is terrific, and the color is perfect in combination with the red interior. More important is the performance and handling. My wife has an SL550, and any difference between that and the SL63 is purely coincidental.

The big new differences are the MCT transmission, the multiple "modes" (Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and manual) for the suspension, a great new steering wheel, new wheels and, of course, the revised styling. Don't put your foot down, unless you mean it. I was cruising along at 75, went to pass a car, and was doing 100+ in a flash. The suspension can give you anything from a Sunday "cruiser" ride, to stiffness that is ready for an Autocross.

I have to admit, the SL550 might have to go - an SL63 might just replace it.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by srice
I have been driving a "Launch Edition" SL63, which includes the 030 package, for two days, now. ... I have put about 150 miles on it. That's in addition to the track time in Las Vegas. ...
- an SL63 might just replace it.
srice, what (maybe who?) allows you to drive the SL63 for 2+ days without having bought or leased it?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:26 AM

I should have been more clear. Picked it up on a Lease.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:15 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
WSH:

I have been driving a "Launch Edition" SL63, which includes the 030 package, for two days, now. The S63 has been relegated to the garage - at least for the time being. I have put about 150 miles on it. That's in addition to the track time in Las Vegas. I think the problem you are describing is a one-off issue. This is the fourth SL63 I have driven, and I never noticed any issue with the brakes. I would not call them "tight," but they are certainly not "sloppy."

I have to admit that I am surprised and amazed with the performance of the SL63. I expected it to be great, having driven it in Las Vegas, but that somewhat sterile setting does not give you an appreciatioin of how incredible it is on the road. The Launch Edition paint is terrific, and the color is perfect in combination with the red interior. More important is the performance and handling. My wife has an SL550, and any difference between that and the SL63 is purely coincidental.

The big new differences are the MCT transmission, the multiple "modes" (Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and manual) for the suspension, a great new steering wheel, new wheels and, of course, the revised styling. Don't put your foot down, unless you mean it. I was cruising along at 75, went to pass a car, and was doing 100+ in a flash. The suspension can give you anything from a Sunday "cruiser" ride, to stiffness that is ready for an Autocross.

srice, appreciate your perspectives

Chatted today w/svc techs at Autobahn who explained that SL63s still have the brake-by-wire tech (unlike AMG S/CLs) which causes the "artificial"/non-intuitive brake pedal feel/travel....esp when directly compared vs AMG S/CL pedal feel....

View AMG S/CL brake pedal feel as perhaps best overall of any car today....IMO, in dry conds, P's PCCB/F's CCM pedal feel and brake response are slightly better, but have found PCCB/CCM to be rather weak in wet/rainy conds...

Will have a chance to drive a colleague's SL63 030 back-to-back vs CL63 030 in mtn twisties this wkend to learn more; agree, even from my brief drive earlier in wk, that overall SL63 030 is a brilliant perf car, but CL63 030 sets a difficult overall benchmark....have an SL63 030 arriving in late May, so look fwd to doing some amateur, subjective comparos...
Old 05-03-2008, 10:58 AM

'08 Audi R8, '09 SL63, '10 GLK, '10 ML550
WSH:

I am on day three with my SL63; trading in my SL500 for it. Of course, it is a completely different car in so many ways that I couldn't list them all here. The two cars only look similar. I was also able to do the Challenge this year in the SL63s, too, and I was completely impressed by this car. It handled so well on the road course and it was so fast on the straightaway. It became the hands-down favorite car the day that I attended the Challenge and it was everyone's first choice for every Challenge activity.

Have you tried top-down in your SL63, yet?? I did it yesterday and you couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. The exhaust note of this car is an amazing and addictive sound. Thanfully, they've added the airscarf (which really works well!), because I am going to be doing a lot of top-down driving in this car.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WSH
srice, appreciate your perspectives

Chatted today w/svc techs at Autobahn who explained that SL63s still have the brake-by-wire tech (unlike AMG S/CLs) which causes the "artificial"/non-intuitive brake pedal feel/travel....esp when directly compared vs AMG S/CL pedal feel....

View AMG S/CL brake pedal feel as perhaps best overall of any car today....IMO, in dry conds, P's PCCB/F's CCM pedal feel and brake response are slightly better, but have found PCCB/CCM to be rather weak in wet/rainy conds...

Will have a chance to drive a colleague's SL63 030 back-to-back vs CL63 030 in mtn twisties this wkend to learn more; agree, even from my brief drive earlier in wk, that overall SL63 030 is a brilliant perf car, but CL63 030 sets a difficult overall benchmark....have an SL63 030 arriving in late May, so look fwd to doing some amateur, subjective comparos...
Please keep us informed, some of us are just dying to see what you buy next. Vicarious living is tough.

M
Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any pics of the Lauch Edition of the SL63? Or what are the colors?

M
Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Any pics of the Lauch Edition of the SL63? Or what are the colors?

M
I'll try to get some pics this weekend. The color is an exclusive silver, called "Silver Arrow." It has the red leather interior, along with the black trim in place of the burl wood.