SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Hello everyone!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
Hello everyone!

well im going to be a new MB owner here soon one way or another...LOL. Rented an sl500 out in vegas a few weeks back and decided i'd never buy another american made car! I've been in the market and i've previously been a vette fan so the amg is a must option for me. I've had to keep my payments to something reasonable so a 2004 is what i've found is my best option. I have found one and am just waiting on the carchex guy to come back from the inspection and hopefully it will be as nice and as flaw free as what they are saying and their pictures show. If so i'll be flying out to buy her saturday!

Still has 3.5 months left on warranty, and has 37k miles on her, so im likely going to purchase the extended warranty from daimer chrysler corp as it seems to be a good "bang for the buck" and has quite a few happy customers.

Just wanted to say hello and hopefully sunday i'll be posting some pictures! If not then, then it will be here soon.......well as soon as i can find a used sl55 i am happy with appearance and price!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Hello and welcome. As you've experienced, there's a lot to like about driving an AMG.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Almost a Member!

sl55
Originally Posted by jmf003
Hello and welcome. As you've experienced, there's a lot to like about driving an AMG.
well the sl500 was a BLAST to drive, up through snake valley out in the desert of Nevada, i basically had a wide open road course with nothing in site, it was an amazing 57 mile drive through that reservation!

anyways, i came home and test drove an sl55 and once i felt that power there was no way i could settle with the sl500. Even though i had found a SUPER nice deal on a 04 sl500 with 24k miles i knew i'd be kicking myself in the *** if i drove that thing off the lot and didn't spend the extra cash for the amg!

Im super excited and having a tough time making myself be patient and make sure i buy the right car but man I need this thing in my garage....lol
Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 AM

make sure you get the MB extended warranty if you can, it is a must with these cars. The $4k cost can be recouped in one visit alone.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
and if you see the car sagging to one side at any point before you buy that car, SKIP IT!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by drhodes
well the sl500 was a BLAST to drive, up through snake valley out in the desert of Nevada, i basically had a wide open road course with nothing in site, it was an amazing 57 mile drive through that reservation!

anyways, i came home and test drove an sl55 and once i felt that power there was no way i could settle with the sl500. Even though i had found a SUPER nice deal on a 04 sl500 with 24k miles i knew i'd be kicking myself in the *** if i drove that thing off the lot and didn't spend the extra cash for the amg!

Im super excited and having a tough time making myself be patient and make sure i buy the right car but man I need this thing in my garage....lol
So what are your parameters...... color/year/options/price?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Almost a Member!

sl55
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
So what are your parameters...... color/year/options/price?
black is my color of choice, although if i found an outstanding deal on a silver model i'd "think" about it, but im out for black

year and price are sort of going hand in hand, 40k is the most i want to finance, rest I am bringing to table, so 50-55ish is my guesstimate price wise, putting me in likely an 04 with 30-40k miles. Although depending on the specific deal i'd be willing to budge a bit.....i.e. newer model, less miles, etc
Old 09-19-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by drhodes
black is my color of choice, although if i found an outstanding deal on a silver model i'd "think" about it, but im out for black

year and price are sort of going hand in hand, 40k is the most i want to finance, rest I am bringing to table, so 50-55ish is my guesstimate price wise, putting me in likely an 04 with 30-40k miles. Although depending on the specific deal i'd be willing to budge a bit.....i.e. newer model, less miles, etc
Did you get your car yet?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Almost a Member!

sl55
actually i just checked into a nasty airport hotel....lol, meeting at mercedes dealership at 10:00 in morning for inspection of car by MB tech, then heading home! so hopefully if the car is as clean and checks out like said i'll be the owner in 12 hours or so!!