SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Question re. Instrument Display

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,249 Likes on 2,022 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Question re. Instrument Display

For the US SL55 version:
I was trying to set the Instrument display (in Tachometer RPM dial) from miles to kilometers. The manual describes how and that you can do it but in the car the menu item is simply missing.

Is this a software issue? Could anyone please check on their cars and let me know if it works.

If you don't know, the menu item should be in the settings for "instrument cluster", along with Temperature and Language setting.

BTW for those how want to know, I like the metric system and enjoy seeing the "real" speed

Wolfman
Old 01-16-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Porsche Turbo Cabriolet
I bought a left hand drive import last year and it was delivered with the instrument display in KPH and the Command was also KPH.

With a play with the settings it converted to MPH.

My, now delivered, RHD SL will change to KPH for european driving, so I guess yours should change too.

Good luck fiddling, and if you get in a real mess you can select 'Restore Factoy settings'

Old 01-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Bilal

Tony I for one, would like to request you post as many pictures of both your SL's on this forum as possible.

Thanks.!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Tony Musgrave

Hi Tony

Welcome to the MBWorld forum. I'm the same SL Boy as on the MB Owners Club UK forum. Looks like your new RHD SL is Jasper blue with alpaca leather - same as my SL 55.

Regards Paul
Old 01-16-2003, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hi

The availability of these menus is controlled by what country the cluster has been told it is in by the Star Diagnosis system - I guess its due to homologation rules for USA

On my SL , If the cluster is set to "United Kingdom", you cant switch the main speed display into KM, everything else switches - having it changed to "rest of world" fixes this - however, I imagine if you do that you'll get caught by the fact that US Gallons are smaller than "rest of the world" gallons.

(I know this because I watched what my dealer was doing , and know that my car is on "rest of world", but other UK users cant change the main dial.

When my main dial is on MPH, in the speedo display I get digital km/h,. and I when I turn the tacho display on I get MPH in there.

Any UK users out there willing to just switch over their display, and see if when switched to KM./H you still get MPH in the main display, and KMH on the digital display in the tacho ?

- If so, I guess you need to have your cluster coded as a UK car, and work out how to switch to US gallons - but only your dealer will be-able to find it - and may not be willing to play incase other side effects happen

Cheers
R
Old 01-16-2003, 05:50 PM

Hi Paul, thanks for the welcome.

I ordered the new sl in1997, so that made me first on the list at the dealers. However a LHD came up from Bramley as an import and I bought that as a stop gap, until I got the RHD in February last year.

I still have the LHD but my son drives it now.

In hindsight I should have waited for a 55, but maybe I'll wait for a 730 AMG !!

Regards, Tony.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tony, will your UK SL (I presume its not an import) switch over to KM/H on the main display ? Or does just the digital display in the tacho (when displayed) switch (and of course the digital display in the speedo switch from km to mph)

Other (more recent) SL55's wont (BlueSL's I think), and the CLK's and UK supplied cars Ive played with wont switch the main analogue dial over.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:07 PM

Richard,Ive just been out to the garage to check, but I can't remember how to get to that part of the menu.

When you get to the right part you can also change the display language, and a few other things.

I will have a go tomorrow and see if I can remember how to do it .

PS in answer to your direct question the speedometer display changes from KPH to MPH but the numerical side stayed the same. In other words the maximum KPH is the same as MPH, but on the display the legend changes.

Last edited by Tony Musgrave; 01-16-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,249 Likes on 2,022 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
First of all, welcome Toni!

You have some great cars (almost overkill I'd say ) and I would also appreciate some more pictures.

I also have to say that this is an incredible board with a lot of international participation!
Which of course can also lead to some confusion as the ongoing comand and telephone posts indicate. Mercedes just happens to confirgure theirs cars slightly different to cater to different home markets...

Now to my original question. I realize now that I didn't do a very good job explaining what I was looking for so here it is with a page of the user manual.

First of all, the speedometer is in miles in the US & UK. In "the rest of Europe" and Canada it is in Kilometers. This is not what I was referring to.

I was strictly looking for the digital display in the right instrument (rpm gauge) to show in Kilometers (see picture below). The issue is that what is shown in the manual can actually not be done in my car (the menu choice "speedometer" is simply not there, even though this is a US manual).

I am specifically looking for US owners. Please take a few minutes to check your cars and let me know because Mercedes Service has proven to be clueless on this.

By the way, it is page 118 in the US manual and 116 in Europe (I believe)...

Thanks,

Wolfman
Old 01-17-2003, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Wolfman
First of all, welcome Toni!

Now to my original question. I realize now that I didn't do a very good job explaining what I was looking for so here it is with a page of the user manual.

Wolfman

Ok, what I was saying (badly), is that when you operate that setting, what happens is (note the order of the mph and kmh, left hand value is what happens when setting is to mph)

"Rest of World" coded insrument cluster :-
Speedo in cluster switches between mph & kmh
Digital reading in speedo switches between kmh & mph
Digital reading in tacho switches between mph & kmh

"UK" coded cluster :-
Speedo in cluster stays on MPH always
Digital reading in speedo switches between kmh and mph
Digital reading in tacho don't know, but I think it it switches between MPH and KMH (which is what U want)

"US" cluster
Looks like you dont have the ability to switch

So, I suspect you will find out that all US coded cars cant switch, so if you want the facility you need the cluster re-coding to pretend its in a different country
(Much like you can get the alarm to beep if you tell the alarm system its in the Netherlands)

Lets wait for other US people to tell us what their cars do by default !

R