SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SC clutch bearing, I think

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
SC clutch bearing, I think

Obviously, this picture is not good. Is this the SC clutch bearing on the 55 that i have been reading about failing? I think I read that the MB dealer wants to replace the whole assembly when replacing the bearing is all that is needed. Does anyone know where I could source the bearing only? I am running an oversized pulley (came with Renntech package Plus) so I am not sure if I need an OEM bearing or something special.

thanks a bunch, the weather is getting warm and my little monster can't come out and play.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by cal1
Obviously, this picture is not good. Is this the SC clutch bearing on the 55 that i have been reading about failing? I think I read that the MB dealer wants to replace the whole assembly when replacing the bearing is all that is needed. Does anyone know where I could source the bearing only? I am running an oversized pulley (came with Renntech package Plus) so I am not sure if I need an OEM bearing or something special.

thanks a bunch, the weather is getting warm and my little monster can't come out and play.

How do you know the bearing is going?

The bearing and the clutch pack of the SC is on the SC, and I am fairly sure that Renntech's pulley is a replacement for the crank pulley, so if you did need something, it would be stock AMG parts.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
How do you know the bearing is going?

The bearing and the clutch pack of the SC is on the SC, and I am fairly sure that Renntech's pulley is a replacement for the crank pulley, so if you did need something, it would be stock AMG parts.
I know the picture is not that good, but if you look close, you can see that many of the ball bearings are missing. you are right, the Renntech pulley is on the crank. I was thinking that because it is oversized the bearing with the missing ball bearings is spinning much faster and maybe too fast for the stock bearing.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I know the picture is not that good, but if you look close, you can see that many of the ball bearings are missing. you are right, the Renntech pulley is on the crank. I was thinking that because it is oversized the bearing with the missing ball bearings is spinning much faster and maybe too fast for the stock bearing.
What picture?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL

I should have pointed out in the original post that many of the ball bearings are missing between the inner and outer race on the bearing itself. Also, maybe this is the upper pulley bearing and not the clutch bearing. Maybe someone can help me out.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
What picture?
Here it is again does it not show up? I see it in the thread.

I think I created confusion, maybe this is the upper SC pulley bearing, but you can see the ball bearings missing between the bearing races.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Here it is again does it not show up? I see it in the thread.

I think I created confusion, maybe this is the upper SC pulley bearing, but you can see the ball bearings missing between the bearing races.
No, it doesn't show up. If you are linking to a photo on your local PC you might be able to see it while the rest of us cannot. Try attaching it instead.

Last edited by jmf003; 03-10-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by jmf003
No, it doesn't show up. If you are linking to a photo on your local PC, you might be able to see it while the rest of us cannot. Try attaching it instead.
Thanks for the help. I have attached from my pc and from the Photo gallery.
SC clutch bearing, I think-sc-clutch-bearing.jpg

It is in the photo gallery which is why I thought it would show up. Here is a link https://mbworld.org/forums/members/c...ch-bearing.jpg
Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
I think that whole assembly needs to be replaced. It might make sense anyways if your clutch chirps like a lot of them.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Thanks for the help. I have attached from my pc and from the Photo gallery.
Attachment 151639

It is in the photo gallery which is why I thought it would show up. Here is a link https://mbworld.org/forums/members/c...ch-bearing.jpg
Here's a thread that's related to supercharger bearing failure: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-problems.html

It doesn't tell how to go about replacing the bearings but maybe Chiromikey or one of the other posters can give additional advice.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
P.s. While looking for something else I stumbled across this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...h-install.html
Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by jmf003
P.s. While looking for something else I stumbled across this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...h-install.html
Thanks a ton, that is super helpful. Sounds like I should just replace the whole clutch while I am at it. It makes me wonder if the chirping and rough SC engagement is hard on the bearing.