SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: AMGfan 2006 SL65 Audio Upgrade thread...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz SL 500
Originally Posted by dave3191
I just got Pioneer's AVIC-Z3 is a double-DIN size, all-in-one system equipped with a 30GB hard disk drive (HDD). I already had it installed in my Hummer H2 and have been very happy with this unit so I got another Z3 to install in my SL55...
What about other Pioneer models, do you know how they work or just tried this one?

Can't really go with a decision: Kenwood or Pioneer...
Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I just got Pioneer's AVIC-Z3 is a double-DIN size, all-in-one system equipped with a 30GB hard disk drive (HDD). I already had it installed in my Hummer H2 and have been very happy with this unit so I got another Z3 to install in my SL55...
I had the earlier Avic unit installed in my past C6 Vette, destroyed MB Nav every which way...
Old 04-29-2009, 05:26 AM

Mercedes-Benz SL 500
Originally Posted by Thericker
I had the earlier Avic unit installed in my past C6 Vette, destroyed MB Nav every which way...
Which one you had?
I'm thinking about AVIC-F900BT.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Yes...but the price break I got I couldn't pass up.
Good deal!!! I'm all about the price break!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 PM

SL55 AMG S55 AMG Hummer H2
Thumbs up

I couldn't agree with you more! I personally like the Z3 not only for the Nav but all of the other features that it has. Like I have it setup in my Hummer so that I can play movies while I'm driving, plus I can switch over to view what people in the back seat are watching or I can play what I'm watching in the front to the large rear unit. Then there is connecting my iPod to it as well as the Library Storage of music that you can download to the Hard Drive in the Z3! So I believe that we are on the same page with this system and this is why I bought one for my 55!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I couldn't agree with you more! I personally like the Z3 not only for the Nav but all of the other features that it has. Like I have it setup in my Hummer so that I can play movies while I'm driving, plus I can switch over to view what people in the back seat are watching or I can play what I'm watching in the front to the large rear unit. Then there is connecting my iPod to it as well as the Library Storage of music that you can download to the Hard Drive in the Z3! So I believe that we are on the same page with this system and this is why I bought one for my 55!
Originally Posted by Artyi
Which one you had?
I'm thinking about AVIC-F900BT.
Sorry for Off Topic:
I had the Avic-D3 touch screen + rearview mirror screen & back-up camera + bi-passed rolling DVD block & Nav enabled re-route while driving...
Watching "Gladiator" on the 405 wasn't 1 of my best ideas Movies/DVD's came on both screens

Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 PM

Sorry for Off Topic:
I had the Avic-D3 touch screen + rearview mirror screen & back-up camera + bi-passed rolling DVD block & Nav enabled re-route while driving...
Watching "Gladiator" on the 405 wasn't 1 of my best ideas Movies/DVD's came on both screens

Nice System and your movie story is crazy as I too have had the brilliant idea of watching movies while on the I-10! Now that makes me a complete idiot as I have been guilty of doing it on more than one occasion, or should I say a few occasions! Not good on my part!

But I did think of something that would be pretty cool to do! Your system in the SL and find a location for the backup camera and take a pic of the screen when you're out dusting someone that has fallen behind you! Now that would be something new to see!!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
That is funny as I too have had the brilliant idea of watching movies while driving! Now that makes me a complete idiot as I have been guilty of doing it on more than one occasion, or should I say several occasions! Not good on my part!

But I did think of something that would be pretty cool to do! Your system in the SL and find a location for the backup camera and take a pic of the screen when you're out dusting someone that has fallen behind you! Now that would be something new to see!!
I tried it in C6 Vette = FAIL! nearly crashed def need a passenger to complete this task. Looking down @ cell camera phn/then trying to center Nav screen in car & drive straight...
Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 PM

I hear you on that one!!! I can't believe that you already tried it!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artyi
What about other Pioneer models, do you know how they work or just tried this one?

Can't really go with a decision: Kenwood or Pioneer...
Check Thericker's post for the system that he has! I know that it's difficult trying to decide which system to buy. I just like the Z3 as I am comfortable with it already! Let us know what you end up getting!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Check Thericker's post for the system that he has! I know that it's difficult trying to decide which system to buy. I just like the Z3 as I am comfortable with it already! Let us know what you end up getting!
This system was in my previous C6 Corvette, now sold
Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 AM

Mercedes-Benz SL 500
Lately I was comparing two systems:
- Pioneer AVIC-F900BT
- Kenwood DNX-8220BT

I'm waiting for AMGfan results on installing his Kenwood, but I came to a decision, that I prefer more Kenwood. It has more functions and easier menu, maybe the speed is not such fast as Pioneer.

Well, waiting on AMGfan installation results, then I'll decide finally what will go

It's a tough decision..
Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
looks like a superb setup AMGfan, very nice choices. i am a big fan of my DNX 5120, i am sure the 8120 is really sweet. you are so right about the garmin nav, i havent had one person sit in my car that didnt both comment on it and who couldnt use it the very first time they tried. it just makes sense the way its laid out and everything is right where it should be. i like how you can zoom in on any point on your route, not just where you currently are. also being able to search for things either where you currently are, or on your route or near your destination is really cool too.

if i was to list all the things i liked about it this post would be far too long, anyways great looking setup - congrats!!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by sleewell
looks like a superb setup AMGfan, very nice choices. i am a big fan of my DNX 5120, i am sure the 8120 is really sweet. you are so right about the garmin nav, i havent had one person sit in my car that didnt both comment on it and who couldnt use it the very first time they tried. it just makes sense the way its laid out and everything is right where it should be. i like how you can zoom in on any point on your route, not just where you currently are. also being able to search for things either where you currently are, or on your route or near your destination is really cool too.

if i was to list all the things i liked about it this post would be far too long, anyways great looking setup - congrats!!
Damn skippy...Whenever I try to use nav in the SL65 now I almost run off the road. The touch screen is a must for me...The points of interest menus are very logically laid out...

Thanks for the kind words...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:19 AM

2003 SL55 Silver/Charcoal Pano,K-Go,Bi-Xenon,Phone,AC Seats,
I guess this thread has turned into a discussion of head units, so I'll toss in the biggest question on my mind: Which head unit has the best integration into the Mercedes Benz system?

In particular, there are four big concerns:
1) Does the steering wheel volume control work?
2) Can you change tracks/stations from the steering wheel buttons?
3) Can the volume auto-adjust based on ambient noise like the Mercedes unit does?
4) Can the steering wheel buttons for phone control be used (e.g. for answering a bluetooth phone call)

Which of the premium head units on the market best satisfies these four concerns?

(Bonus: 5) Can the Mercedes voice-control knob be used to control anything? --for those with the Mercedes V60 phone kit installed)

Last edited by misterlawyer; 05-04-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Mrlawyer I think you are headed in this direction, look here;

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...eo-system.html
Old 05-04-2009, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Mrlawyer I think you are headed in this direction, look here;

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...eo-system.html

Thanks for the reference, Okbarnett. What he has done there is probably the best integration possible in terms of maintaining the original controls, and the OEM look, etc.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem with going that route is that you're stuck with the Mercedes screen. It's tiny and it's not a touch screen.

the 2003-2004 R230 display is absolutely TINY. The screen on a nice aftermarket head unit is about 4 times as big as the tiny Mercedes screen.

If I had a 2005+ R230, I might feel better about keeping the OEM screen because it's a little bigger. But even then it's not a touch screen. Having to use a knob to input letters is slow and clunky. I agree 100% with AMGfan when he says "The touch screen is a must for me..."

I guess the balancing act here is between upgrading the screen (to be larger and touch-sensitive) and maintaining the COMAND controls.

If I had too much cash on my hands, I would probably figure out a way to install a pop-up touch screen that conceals into the space where the two cupholders currently are. But that would be a VERY customized job as that area can't be larger than a half DIN.

As it stands, I think my best option is to replace the COMAND head unit with something aftermarket, like a pioneer or alpine. But I want to be sure I'm giving up as little as possible in terms of the integrated COMAND controls that Mercedes has.

So the question remains: What is the best solution for upgrading the head unit to a modern system, while maintaining a seamless integration into the Mercedes Benz system?

Last edited by misterlawyer; 05-04-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Some pics from the work this week...

Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Massive Respekt, AMGFan!!!

These photos are great. Keep em coming! The more the better.

Btw, those long silver cylinders are fans for cooling the amps, right? I'll have to wait and see where you mount them.

And it looks like the enclosure is for the subwoofer in the passenger footwell. Any idea yet about how much it will reduce the passenger's leg room?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by misterlawyer
Massive Respekt, AMGFan!!!

These photos are great. Keep em coming! The more the better.

Btw, those long silver cylinders are fans for cooling the amps, right? I'll have to wait and see where you mount them.

And it looks like the enclosure is for the subwoofer in the passenger footwell. Any idea yet about how much it will reduce the passenger's leg room?
Thanks...Yes...those are cooling fans and I'll post pictures along the way to show where they are mounted.

The stock subwoofer is also in the footwell and we are also placing the subwoofer in that location. The pictures I posted above are the rough version of the enclosure...another layer of glass is needed and sanding of the bondo and glass is needed.

Based on current measurements, we are expecting about an 1-2 inches lost with the new enclosure, which is not really much. I will post a pic of the OEM subwoofer setup that came with the car to compare.

PS...The Focal setup for 5.25 midrange and 6.5 mid bass are placed in the OEM enclosure baffle...those speakers next to the Focals are OEM. The Focal tweeters will be in the A pillars in a cross firing angle.

Last edited by AMGfan; 05-10-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 AM

Thumbs up

Everything is looking great!! Well done!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55AMG, SL600
Very nice setup you are installing should sound great!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
can't wait to see the finished pics!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

More pics (install in progress)...

I stopped by the shop today and my installer said he is trying to have it done by Friday. I know about deadlines in audio installs or tuning work so I am taking that with a grain of salt. It is moving along, though.

The OEM 4" midrange vs. Focal 5.25" midrange

The OEM 6.5" midbass vs. Focal 6.5" midbass

The OEM Bose subwoofer vs. JL13W5 with custom enclosure (combination fiberglass/bondo/wood and polyglass fill)

Doorpanel (partial cutting had to be done to fit the midrange magnet)...the doorpanel will have a dynamat layer and a dynamat "cup" formed behind the midrange magnet to separate the midrange soundwaves from the midbass.

Trunk work (level one contains JL center channel speaker, fuse block, and Batcap...level two holds JL 450/4 and 1000/1 amps)...no loss of trunk space since we used the spare tire well so stock look will be maintained...

Guess what we have rear speakers...We are actually going to power these stock rear speakers from the Kenwood head unit. They should sound better with the increased power going to them...not to much louder since it is only for rear fill...one on each side of the buckle.

The storm before the calm...
Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 AM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
AMGfan I must say I love both your SL and your E, two very unique cars!

Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: AMGfan 2006 SL65 Audio Upgrade thread...