SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Car too low- ABC warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Car too low- ABC warning

has anyone had this warning before? my car was parked in my friends slanted driveway, as I was pulling out slowly onto another slight ramp and everything turned red- I got a "Car too low, DO NOT DRIVE" warning"

I got out, looked at my rear tire wheel gap, and it seemed like the car was slammed, absolutely no wheel gap. It seemed like a miracle since I've been trying to get a drop lately, but at the same time I was worried the ABC suspension failed, so I raised the car and turned off sport suspension, got back to its original height.

Has anyone else experienced this? is my ABC suspension going out? I always leave my car in sport suspension, but might have to leave it off for a while now
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
my old e55k did that a couple of times everything turn red and too low warning...i just stopped the engine and restarted...that cleared it.....but as you say i did note it was very low!....Got an sl55 now so no probs so far.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:59 PM

AMG
did you have to replace anything in the e55, or didn't bother fixing it
Old 04-06-2009, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
It could be a one off problem. If it continues, get it checked out before more damage occurs.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:02 AM

SL63
Unhappy This problem has been discussed before!

Check out the following thread (Click on the link below):
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...n-problem.html

i assume you have an sl55. there have been many problems reported with the hydraulic abc suspension, especially in the early model years. good luck!! this can be a costly repair.

Last edited by photonut; 04-06-2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: link did not copy
Old 04-06-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by sikhkd
has anyone had this warning before? my car was parked in my friends slanted driveway, as I was pulling out slowly onto another slight ramp and everything turned red- I got a "Car too low, DO NOT DRIVE" warning"

I got out, looked at my rear tire wheel gap, and it seemed like the car was slammed, absolutely no wheel gap. It seemed like a miracle since I've been trying to get a drop lately, but at the same time I was worried the ABC suspension failed, so I raised the car and turned off sport suspension, got back to its original height.

Has anyone else experienced this? is my ABC suspension going out? I always leave my car in sport suspension, but might have to leave it off for a while now
Hopefully the warning won’t pop up again. I started having various warnings related to ABC last summer with my 03 SL55. I would restart the car and the problem would go away. Finally, I a got message something like “ABC FAILURE TAKE CAR TO SHOP.” The hydraulic pump had completely failed. From what I have heard, the ABC system has a number of components that tend to be problematic and expensive to repair or replace.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2009, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
trust me it's no miracle drop lowering for cruizin wit da homies! ....this is an ABC suspension issue, it may clear on it's own, otherwise you may have a leaking strut or a leak somewher in the system, a blown pump, may need a fluid flush and filter change at the least... or a problem with the valve blocks which thwy can find out after they diagnose..

keep an eye on it and take it from there...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 PM

AMG
Man I hope it clears on its own.. I've heard less complaints from people that lowered their cars- maybe if that helps I'm getting the car lowered via SDS this week.

I'm going to look into a warranty as well in the next couple of months
Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
lowering wont make a difference if you have a leaking strut or failing hydraulic pump.
it can cost as much as over $8,000 for repair of the ABC system, so pray its not bad since I read some place else that you are out of warranty.