SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Need tires- Pilot Sport A/s Plus or Toyo T1R?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
Need tires- Pilot Sport A/s Plus or Toyo T1R?

Need new tires, looking at the new Pilot Sport A/S plus that have pretty good reviews and a 45k warranty and my dealer wants to put on Toyo T1R, anyone have experience with either?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by lawdawg
Need new tires, looking at the new Pilot Sport A/S plus that have pretty good reviews and a 45k warranty and my dealer wants to put on Toyo T1R, anyone have experience with either?
A/S, I have had over 60K miles experience.
A/S Plus about 10K miles

Awesome tires, excellent traction rain or shine, excellent wear. On the A/S Plus, tires still look brand new. The 500TW and 45K warranty as you stated are awesome. My buddy has an CLS55 K4, and he started with the PS2's which he said were excellent tires, but wear was not so good. Now he has the A/S Plus, which he said he was been very happy with also.

On my R, I have Toyo Proxies S/T, not the same tire but they have been really great tires. 18K miles and going.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL55 AMG, Range Rover Evoque
Check out :

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...-any-good.html
Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by Geo3
If you fit Michelin, according to a fellow member " you'll get the Michelin
wiggle" apparently this is what I had, I put the Pirelli's back that it came on,
and next it will be Bridgstone RE 050 which I have just fitted to my S600 and
they are superb, even makes my barge feel quite sporty!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by sound 8
If you fit Michelin, according to a fellow member " you'll get the Michelin
wiggle" apparently this is what I had, I put the Pirelli's back that it came on,
and next it will be Bridgstone RE 050 which I have just fitted to my S600 and
they are superb, even makes my barge feel quite sporty!
Guys, he specifically asked about A/S Plus and Toyo's. Not trying to be "nit-picky" or insulting but on that thread nor here have you used the A/S Plus, excluding myself.

The PS2 and the A/S Plus are a totally different tire. Composition, tread-wear, and use, and all different. Let's stay on topic, and give him advice regarding the A/S Plus.

BTW- The A/S Plus nor the A/S have any "wiggle" issues. That is an issue with the PS2.

Last edited by bigben320e; 07-21-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:34 PM

In the link I posted, to an earlier "Michelin ARE they any good" topic, I actually discussed my happy usage of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for past ten years on a previous SL (R129) and my current SL55 (R230).

I rate Michelin Pilot Sport A/S highly, use them all year round in Canada, and only required to change rears on earlier car after 4 years.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:36 PM

sl55
I read about the sport a/s, but they came out with the new a/s plus and didn't know if anyone had given them a shot yet, I live in Georgia, so don't really need a/s, but heard they were actually pretty good performance and the 45k mileage is appealing

Last edited by lawdawg; 07-21-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by bigben320e
A/S, I have had over 60K miles experience.
A/S Plus about 10K miles

Awesome tires, excellent traction rain or shine, excellent wear. On the A/S Plus, tires still look brand new. The 500TW and 45K warranty as you stated are awesome. My buddy has an CLS55 K4, and he started with the PS2's which he said were excellent tires, but wear was not so good. Now he has the A/S Plus, which he said he was been very happy with also.

On my R, I have Toyo Proxies S/T, not the same tire but they have been really great tires. 18K miles and going.
+1 I put them on my 05 E55 and loved them! When its time to replace the tires on my cars they are the ONLY tires I will consider.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:44 PM

sl55
thanks for the input, much appreciated
Old 07-22-2009, 06:27 AM

2006 Sl55 Amg
do not buy Toyo T1R
trust me,ı bought the same tires for my 06 M5 and only used it for a week then took them off and bought pirelli p zero corso and what a difference
yes they are nearly half price but ıt s just waste of money
ıf you are driving a nıce car you should use good tires
ı realised that there a reason why some tires are cheap and some are expensive
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lawdawg
I read about the sport a/s, but they came out with the new a/s plus and didn't know if anyone had given them a shot yet, I live in Georgia, so don't really need a/s, but heard they were actually pretty good performance and the 45k mileage is appealing
I live in GA as well, native. I took in consideration for rain and the little bit of cold/snow we do get when I buy tires. I think you will be pleased with the A/S Plus.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I live in GA as well, native. I took in consideration for rain and the little bit of cold/snow we do get when I buy tires. I think you will be pleased with the A/S Plus.
Hi, I am not sure what A/S is. All I know is that in the UK you can get
Michelin Pilot, and Michelin Pilot sport 2. I chose PS2 with MO fitment.
I also have always had Michelin but after fitting the PS2's I did get this
wiggle/wobble feeling from the back which was enough for me to loose my trust. I will however consider the Bridgstone next time, meanwhile I am
lumbered with tyres which nobody want's to give me sensible money for.
Expensive business these cars!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM

wiggle/wobble feeling from the back which was enough for me to loose my trust. I will however consider the Bridgstone next time, meanwhile I am
A/S = all season
Old 07-22-2009, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It does get expensive trying out a bunch of tires is a drain, but like I mentioned earlier the PS/2's and A/S Plus are very different. The A/S Plus are different from the A/S matter of fact. I wouldn't just lump all Michelin's into one box because of your jiggle wiggle.

It's like lumping all women together because one sucks. Another one may be just perfect.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
You are comparing an all season tire with a high performance summer tire so one key question is your driving habits. If your SL is an all season daily driver then keep considering the PS2 all season. If not, then maybe. If you drive lots of miles in traffic and are looking for a competent all around tire capable of good wet and dry traction as well as reasonable tread life then, yes. If you tend to drive “spirited” or aggressive and drive the SL in the summer only, then don’t consider the PS2 A/S.

If you run your SL summer only like I do, you need a high performance summer tire which the T1R is considered to be. The correct Michelin tire would be the Pilot Sport PS2. Check out the link on high performance summer tires. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests It is interesting how the cheap Hankook’s take second overall in the comparison.

I am currently on my second set of Toyo Proxes T1Rs and like them better than the Pilot Sport PS2s that were on the car when I bought it. It must just come down to personal preference. I find the T1Rs to have excellent dry grip which is important to me especially with the extra torque from the engine mods. The T1Rs sing to me in a corner just before breaking loose which I find very nice; however I don’t think the side wall is as rigid as the Pilot Sport PS2. I think the T1Rs rank right up their with the other top max performance summer tire, but don’t expect them to last long. Mine last a driving season which is about May to October, about 12,000 miles. The front tires typically have some tread left, but the backs are gone. I guess I drive “spirited.”

Good luck
Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Esh

E55
I'm not sure if it helped, but I had Les Schwab sipe my Proxes S/T's. I ran them only from March through October on the SUV. I put more than 25k miles on them and still had plenty of tread left. Loved the S/T.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Esh
I'm not sure if it helped, but I had Les Schwab sipe my Proxes S/T's. I ran them only from March through October on the SUV. I put more than 25k miles on them and still had plenty of tread left. Loved the S/T.
Yes, those S/T's have been awesome. Driven through all types of weather.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cal1
You are comparing an all season tire with a high performance summer tire so one key question is your driving habits. If your SL is an all season daily driver then keep considering the PS2 all season. If not, then maybe. If you drive lots of miles in traffic and are looking for a competent all around tire capable of good wet and dry traction as well as reasonable tread life then, yes. If you tend to drive “spirited” or aggressive and drive the SL in the summer only, then don’t consider the PS2 A/S.

If you run your SL summer only like I do, you need a high performance summer tire which the T1R is considered to be. The correct Michelin tire would be the Pilot Sport PS2. Check out the link on high performance summer tires. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the _michelin_ps2-comparison_tests It is interesting how the cheap Hankook’s take second overall in the comparison.

I am currently on my second set of Toyo Proxes T1Rs and like them better than the Pilot Sport PS2s that were on the car when I bought it. It must just come down to personal preference. I find the T1Rs to have excellent dry grip which is important to me especially with the extra torque from the engine mods. The T1Rs sing to me in a corner just before breaking loose which I find very nice; however I don’t think the side wall is as rigid as the Pilot Sport PS2. I think the T1Rs rank right up their with the other top max performance summer tire, but don’t expect them to last long. Mine last a driving season which is about May to October, about 12,000 miles. The front tires typically have some tread left, but the backs are gone. I guess I drive “spirited.”

Good luck
Good stuff, but he was asking about the A/S Plus. The confusion came in when someone mentioned PS/2's and a "jiggle" issue they had on their SL. The OP never asked about the PS/2's just the A/S Plus, and you are right as I mentioned earlier, the A/S Plus are not the same tire as a PS/2 by design.

I drive very spirited also, and the A/S and A/S Plus have served me well. They did and have lasted much longer than 12K. Those T1R's must really be something, really sticky and good traction I am sure.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
I like T1R's. They can handle 600rwhp just fine! They are quiet. Last a long time and hook well! Good in the rain too!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Good stuff, but he was asking about the A/S Plus. The confusion came in when someone mentioned PS/2's and a "jiggle" issue they had on their SL. The OP never asked about the PS/2's just the A/S Plus, and you are right as I mentioned earlier, the A/S Plus are not the same tire as a PS/2 by design.

I drive very spirited also, and the A/S and A/S Plus have served me well. They did and have lasted much longer than 12K. Those T1R's must really be something, really sticky and good traction I am sure.
My discussion began with the all season or A/S tire. I did not bring PS2s into the discussion until I switched gears to discuss the T1R which is a max performance summer tire as is the PS2. Hopefully we are providing some usefull information instead creating mass confusion.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
Pilot Sport A/S FTW, great tires for all around driving. They obviously aren't as great for hard street driving or track use, but with that being said, they've lasted me 12,000-15,000 miles through two sets, and perform well for the occasional spirited drive.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cal1
My discussion began with the all season or A/S tire. I did not bring PS2s into the discussion until I switched gears to discuss the T1R which is a max performance summer tire as is the PS2. Hopefully we are providing some usefull information instead creating mass confusion.
It's all good info, all tires have good and bad points. It depends on application and usage as we both noted, and that's a really important point in the choice of picking a tire. I learned some more about the T1R myself, and that's what the sharing of info is all about.

Being that the OP lives in GA like myself, I thought the A/S Plus would probably serve better and last longer.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Heh the guy asked for info on tyres for his SL, he also mentioned Michelin Pilot a/s
where is the confusion when I told him what I was experiencing from Michelin PS2's
AND it was another member who said I had the Michelin wiggle. It was
fair to tell him.

Last edited by sound 8; 07-23-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-23-2009, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Heh the guy asked for info on tyres for his SL, he also mentioned Michelin Pilot a/s
where is the confusion when I told him what I was experiencing from Michelin PS2's
AND it was another member who said I had the Michelin wiggle. It was
fair to tell him.
Not to get all nit-picky but:

The problem is this: You are saying "Michelin wiggle". That wiggle only applies to the PS2, which was never asked about. Lumping all Michelin tires and saying they wiggle is not correct and leads people to think "hey all Michelin tires have this wiggle problem". Misleading.

Second, he never asked about PS2's. He specifically asked about the A/S Plus and the T1R. I can only comment on the A/S Plus, technically only people that have used the A/S Plus and the T1R can really give him comments he asked for. Not sure why the PS2 was brought up in the first place.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:11 AM

sl55
thanks a lot for everyone's opinions, it really is a great forum to get all the advice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Need tires- Pilot Sport A/s Plus or Toyo T1R?