SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New owner 2005 SL 65 AMG - couple questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Question New owner 2005 SL 65 AMG - couple questions

Thanks for any info:

1) Anyone found a spare that works with this car?

2) If car siyts for a few days or weeks, does it automatically lower, or is that an issue with suspension?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by abiazis
Thanks for any info:

1) Anyone found a spare that works with this car?

2) If car siyts for a few days or weeks, does it automatically lower, or is that an issue with suspension?
1. Mine came with a temporary spare. Did yours not come with one?
2. I keep my car at the lowest setting and have not seen it get any lower after not driving it for a week. If you set it at the lowest setting and it still gets lower further, then that should be checked out.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
AMGfan- What is the part number on the temp spare? Is it an 18 or 19 inch?

AMGfan,

I bought an 18 inch collapsible spare that was listed by MB as the correct spare wheel for the SL65 but it would not fit on the front, it hit the caliper.

What is the part number on your wheel and have you tried it on the front?

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited by EXECMALIBU; 07-30-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM

sl 55 amg
Talking

My 55 use to drop a bit on the drivers side . The ABC suspension in these cars are known to have issues. Mine needed a strut and I also had them flush all the fluid that feeds the suspension and that seem to do. Enjoy your new ride
Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM

sl65 amg
Welcome,

I'm a bit of a "lurker" here - don't post much - but you have the same year and model as I do, so thought I would say Hello and drop you some comments.

It's a great car, but no spare tire for sure - not even room for one - and you can not easily afford even keeping a full spare laying around as the proper rims will set you back a fortune. Also, you want to be careful if you do pick up a nail and have to replace one tire, that you do not have too many miles on the other tires. Otherwise your stability control will have to work like crazy to offset the slip and your acceleration will be severely dampened.

As for the settling issue, I had the exact same problem. For a while, you can just keep cycling the ABC and it will correct itself (you have to make sure to have the driver's door closed and car running for it to work), but eventually you will probably have to replace the strut (as I had to do).

There are a few other things you may run into or have questions about. This board is very helpful.

Have fun!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by buhin
Welcome,

I'm a bit of a "lurker" here - don't post much - but you have the same year and model as I do, so thought I would say Hello and drop you some comments.

It's a great car, but no spare tire for sure - not even room for one - and you can not easily afford even keeping a full spare laying around as the proper rims will set you back a fortune. Also, you want to be careful if you do pick up a nail and have to replace one tire, that you do not have too many miles on the other tires. Otherwise your stability control will have to work like crazy to offset the slip and your acceleration will be severely dampened.

As for the settling issue, I had the exact same problem. For a while, you can just keep cycling the ABC and it will correct itself (you have to make sure to have the driver's door closed and car running for it to work), but eventually you will probably have to replace the strut (as I had to do).

There are a few other things you may run into or have questions about. This board is very helpful.

Have fun!
Thanks very much for the information and I will have it checked out with next service appointment relative to the ABC.....thanks for quick reply...
Old 07-30-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mikesSL55fla
My 55 use to drop a bit on the drivers side . The ABC suspension in these cars are known to have issues. Mine needed a strut and I also had them flush all the fluid that feeds the suspension and that seem to do. Enjoy your new ride
Thanks for the heads-up on the strut, as that was alos poinmted out on subsequent reponse.....thanks for quick response.....
Old 07-30-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by AMGfan
1. Mine came with a temporary spare. Did yours not come with one?
2. I keep my car at the lowest setting and have not seen it get any lower after not driving it for a week. If you set it at the lowest setting and it still gets lower further, then that should be checked out.

Thanks for the info...I will check with dealer on spare issue, since the next post says there may be issue with the caliper in front...hmmmm...

Thanks again for quick response......