SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL63 AMG designo Magno Cashmere White aka matte white @ HOI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G55
Matte carbon fiber and exterior paint are standard on the IWC edition. Front and rear bumpers parts (i.e. diffusers etc) are also made out of matte carbon fiber.

I purchase a IWC 3 week ago but it was severely damaged (front right fender and door) during transport from out of state. The dealer offered to fix the damaged and give me another discount but I asked to cancel the deal instead.

Decide to buy an AM DBS instead.

I still have the IWC Ingenieur watch; it's huge! Still have to send it back.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'95 S500 '93 500 SEL
Originally Posted by hovyamg
Matte carbon fiber and exterior paint are standard on the IWC edition. Front and rear bumpers parts (i.e. diffusers etc) are also made out of matte carbon fiber.

I purchase a IWC 3 week ago but it was severely damaged (front right fender and door) during transport from out of state. The dealer offered to fix the damaged and give me another discount but I asked to cancel the deal instead.

Decide to buy an AM DBS instead.

I still have the IWC Ingenieur watch; it's huge! Still have to send it back.
Yes that watch is definity LARGE!
Thank you for the quick reply, I just saw the carbon package under the 'Special' section on the window sticker, so I just edited my post.

Congrtas on the DBS, a co-working here has DB9 and it is amazing I can only imagine the what the DBS will feel like.

enjoy

Kevin
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 AM

2010 S600 sold
Sweet ride!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
Nice!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:43 PM

CL600 Sport
Unbelievable, but true...

Well, as of 10/12/09, that car is still available at House of Imports. A friend of mine negotiated a deal ($30K off sticker) with HOI on Friday, 10/9/09, but HOI wouldn't accept his check because, although he has a great credit rating, "he has never finance or leased a car before." Well of course he doesn't have a history of financing a car... he always pays cash (check) for his cars. So my friend found another IWC SL at South Bay MB and got $40K off sticker. Unbelievable!

Oops, I guess I need to update my sig. CL600 sold, now have BMW M6

Last edited by David M///; 10-12-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 784 Likes on 763 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by David M///
Well, as of 10/12/09, that car is still available at House of Imports. A friend of mine negotiated a deal ($30K off sticker) with HOI on Friday, 10/9/09, but HOI wouldn't accept his because, although he has a great credit rating, "he has never finance or leased a car before." Well if he's wealthy, of course he's not going to have a history of financing a car... he always paid cash (check) for his cars). So my friend found another IWC SL at South Bay MB and got $40K off sticker. Unbelievable!
did ur friend finance or pay cash for SL?
HOI just lost a customer... :ouch:
Old 10-12-2009, 04:50 PM

2011 G55
Not so unbelievable to be honest. 09 ends in 2 months and dealers still have so many cars unsold. I got 32K$ off the sticker on a IWC that was severely damaged during transportation to my state. Sale was canceled.

Let's see what kind of discount Bentley offers.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:41 PM

CL600 Sport
Originally Posted by MJ50
did ur friend finance or pay cash for SL?
HOI just lost a customer... :ouch:
MJ50,
He paid cash (check) for the SL.

hovyamg,
The unbelievable part isn't the $30/$40K off, it's the fact that House of Imports wouldn't accept a check from a guy with an impecable credit rating. Like MJ50 says, HOI lost a sale and a very affluent customer.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:08 PM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by David M///
MJ50,
He paid cash (check) for the SL.

hovyamg,
The unbelievable part isn't the $30/$40K off, it's the fact that House of Imports wouldn't accept a check from a guy with an impecable credit rating. Like MJ50 says, HOI lost a sale and a very affluent customer.
Their loss man. 09 ends in 2 months. A dealer in CO sells their brand new IWC for 140K; it was 145K$ 2 weeks ago. The IWCs will sell for around 100K$ after New Year's Eve, garanteed.

Regarding credit. I have something below average to average credit. I always pay cash.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:19 PM

--
Hello,

I've been considering the following vehicles: AM DBS vs SL63 VS SL550 vs AM DB9 vs AM Vantage

I see you cancelled a SL63 IWC deal for a AM DBS.

I'm curious are you able to get good discounts off MSRP on the DBS for 2009 models similar to what exists for the SL class from MB? If you could share some price indication of avaailable discounts I would appreciate it.

I'm considering an Aston Martin also..if the price is right..but the hardtop convertible-coupe combo of the SL I find to be an almost irresistible urge.

Lastly, what made you decide to go for the DBS instead of locating another IWC SL63AMG?

Many Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 PM

2011 G55
Originally Posted by cptbenz
Hello,

I've been considering the following vehicles: AM DBS vs SL63 VS SL550 vs AM DB9 vs AM Vantage

I'm curious are you able to get good discounts off MSRP on the DBS for 2009 models similar to what exists for the SL class from MB? If you could share some price indication of avaailable discounts I would appreciate it.

I'm considering an Aston Martin also..if the price is right..but the hardtop convertible-coupe combo of the SL I find to be an almost irresistible urge.

Lastly, what made you decide to go for the DBS instead of locating another IWC SL63AMG?

Many Thanks for sharing.

I sent you a pm earlier today.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 PM

--
Please resend

hovyamg,

Thanks, but I didn't get the pm. Do you mind checking your outbox/sent messages and resending it to me: cptbenz.

Thank you.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:31 PM

2011 G55
hovyamg,

Thanks, but I didn't get the pm. Do you mind checking your outbox/sent messages and resending it to me: cptbenz.

Thank you.
This sucks big time. It was a long pm going in details about your questions.

Oh well, give me some time, I'll be glad to pm you back.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM

--
Wow, that's sad!

Check your Sent messages folder from your Private messages page. There's a pull down menu on the PM home page, where you can select folders. The last message you sent should be saved there. If so, there would be no need to recompose the message as you can just forward it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 PM

2011 G55
I just checked man. It sucks. I must have closed the window without sending it. I was doing 10 times at the same time: 3 phone calls, 10 emails etc ...

It's ok. I'll pm you back.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 PM

--
I've had a similar experience. Quite frustrating. Thanks so much for still being willing to help. I appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:06 PM

2011 G55
Hello,

Many Thanks for sharing.

cptbenz,

I'll answer here instead so perhaps others can also feed in their opinion, comments and thoughts.

Let's talk about the SL first:

I canceled the sale of the IWC because it was severely damaged (Front fender, bumper, front of engine and half the right door) during transportation from the state where I bought it to the state where I live. It was actually the dealer's fault.

I decided not to buy another one as I took it as a sign not to get it, personal reasons that are unfounded. I also gave it some thoughts and I never had a white car before and believed it would have been hard to keep clean.

I agree that the SL offers a great appeal being coupe and cab at the same time. I think the SL is one of the finest looking cars on the streets. No doubt.

Depending on what you're looking for, the 63 has more power than the 550 but if you're looking for a DD cruiser, the 550 is plenty. I cannot answer which one is better for you. Only a test drive will let you know.

Astons now:

I had a AM V8 Vatange for a little while. It was a fantastic car and it was a hell lot of fun. I got rid of it because I was not using it much, neither was my wife. I think it lost the "wow" factor.

You mention budget so I would take the DBS out of the list. It's a very pricey car and dealers don't offer much discount on it. You'll have better luck with the DB9 for that.

Both DBS and DB9 are essentially the same car. The DBS looks beefier and more aggressive in my opinion. I am schedule for a test drive of the DBS this Thursday so I'll know then what's it like.

Sounds like to me that the SL is a better candidate for you. You seem to like the coupe/cab feature and you can get great deals on both new and used SLs.

If you could be more specific on what you want in terms of price and what you're looking to do with the car, I could guide you better.

Let me know!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM

--
Many thanks hovyamg for your detailed insights. Yes it seems I will stay with the SL550 becuase I do not want to pay more than 100K for the car..and I am not sure I can get even a AM Vantage discounted to that level. I love the AMs for the high level of customization available when you order and the wonderufl color options they have..but yes I do wnat a coupe/cab; so I think an SL550 it'll be...but if a AM dealer wants to give me a 25-30% diso**** on a DB9 or Vantage I just might chnage my mind.

Thanks so much again. Do keep us informed of your continued research and ultimate purchase.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM

--
P.S. Why are you geting rid of the R8. I love the look of that car..but each time I inspect one in a show room..I always get the sense that the build quality is slightly subpar and thus the car will deteriorate fairly quickly...no proof, just my hunch. What's been your experience?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 PM

2011 G55
Many thanks hovyamg for your detailed insights. Yes it seems I will stay with the SL550 becuase I do not want to pay more than 100K for the car..and I am not sure I can get even a AM Vantage discounted to that level. I love the AMs for the high level of customization available when you order and the wonderufl color options they have..but yes I do wnat a coupe/cab; so I think an SL550 it'll be...but if a AM dealer wants to give me a 25-30% diso**** on a DB9 or Vantage I just might chnage my mind.

Thanks so much again. Do keep us informed of your continued research and ultimate purchase.

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Don't forget that you can find a SL63 in the 90Ks. You get a fantastic engine with it.

Or if you find a AM at a good price then give it a shot.

But in the end, it's all about the test drive and nothing else.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 PM

2011 G55
P.S. Why are you geting rid of the R8. I love the look of that car..but each time I inspect one in a show room..I always get the sense that the build quality is slightly subpar and thus the car will deteriorate fairly quickly...no proof, just my hunch. What's been your experience?
I am getting rid of it for several reason:

- not practical; only a 1 or 2 gas stations can accommodate the height of the R8

- interior space: although big enough not really what i want (anymore)

- r-tronic transmission: became tedious to drive it on a daily basis; requires constant input in sequential mode and is jerky in automated mode

- high revving engine is not my thing (anymore)

[A relative overseas bought it from me (he also bought my am v8 vantage and my m3). I get to sell him my cars at pretty much the price I payed initially. He doesn't pay taxes nor customs to get them in the country where he lives.]

In regards to quality, I have to disagree. Audi's known to have among the best interiors and the R8 is no exception. I don't know if you referred to the exterior of the car but there again it's well assembled. Like you said, it could be your hunch.

It's a fantastic car to drive otherwise. The best handling car I've ever owned.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 AM

--
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Don't forget that you can find a SL63 in the 90Ks. You get a fantastic engine with it.

Or if you find a AM at a good price then give it a shot.

But in the end, it's all about the test drive and nothing else.
Thanks again hovyamg.

Are you sure I can find a SL63 in the 90Ks? People on this thread have spoken of a 30-40K discount off the $169K for the SL63 IWC which nets out to $130-140K; which is much more than 90K. Or did you mean the SL550s??
Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM

2011 G55
Thanks again hovyamg.

Are you sure I can find a SL63 in the 90Ks? People on this thread have spoken of a 30-40K discount off the $169K for the SL63 IWC which nets out to $130-140K; which is much more than 90K. Or did you mean the SL550s??
Are you looking to buy new or used?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:16 PM

--
Are you looking to buy new or used?
Brand New!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM

2011 G55
Brand New!

SL63 IWC brand new is not possible in the 90Ks yet. After New Year's Eve, yes.

"Regular" SL63 in the 90Ks is possible I think but it will end up costing you over 100K anyway with taxes and registration.

Either you wait 2-3 more months or you go for a SL550.

I heard the new SL will have minor changes so current SLs will sure lose even more value.

IMHO, your best best would be a SL550.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL63 AMG designo Magno Cashmere White aka matte white @ HOI