SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: HELP on Toe Links...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
HELP on Toe Links...

Before I pull out the jack for Renntech toe links, anyone know any other manufacturer of toe links?

I know the Renntech's work since I have them on my E55 and I know under WOT the SL65 could use them. Renntech's TL's run about $1200 and are an easy install but I can't believe they are the only option...If they are...HELLO Renntech!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-
Hmm, pardon the ignorance, what are toe links and can I use them on a SL600?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Auraraptor
Hmm, pardon the ignorance, what are toe links and can I use them on a SL600?

From Renntech:

"RENNtech now offers an upgrade to the Achilles heel of the E, CLS and SL rear suspension system. The rear suspension of these cars is subject to extreme loads due to enormous torque that the current generation engines produce. Under hard acceleration these loads result in deformation of the toe link’s rubber bushings. This translates to a vagueness and loss of straight line stability in the rear of the car. The effect is greatly diminished by the RENNtech rear toe link. The link utilizes billet CNC brackets, chro-molly steel links, and sealed spherical Heim joints. This ultra rigid connection controls rear wheel toe precisely and improves handling in all situations. The kit includes assembled toe links and all necessary installation hardware. "
Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I think these are similar to rear trailing arm bushings which in this case are converted to a sperical bearing configuration. Rubber deflects over time and having a solid joint can help (although these sort of upgrades are ussually seen on race cars or cars used on track often); although with upgrades like this (in loaded areas of the suspension geometry) if the given joint is attached to a chassis mounting location then that location may need to be strenghened by adding metal gussets or reinforcement plates.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:53 PM

-
Originally Posted by Sunir
I think these are similar to rear trailing arm bushings which in this case are converted to a sperical bearing configuration. Rubber deflects over time and having a solid joint can help (although these sort of upgrades are ussually seen on race cars or cars used on track often); although with upgrades like this (in loaded areas of the suspension geometry) if the given joint is attached to a chassis mounting location then that location may need to be strenghened by adding metal gussets or reinforcement plates.
Thank you for the analogy...that cleared it up very well in conjunction with the previous post. Thanks guys!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I seem to recall discussing toe links with Simon at EvoSport. You might shoot him an email. simon@evosport.com. I hope I'm not mistaken. If you do the mod, let us know what you think of it. It is a mod on my wish list.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cal1
I seem to recall discussing toe links with Simon at EvoSport. You might shoot him an email. simon@evosport.com. I hope I'm not mistaken. If you do the mod, let us know what you think of it. It is a mod on my wish list.
It's next on my list. Should be on there by mid of next month.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
The RENNtech toelinks are a must have for any AMG that is putting down a lot of power, it will help with the rear end tail wiggle when you punch the vehicle. The toe links are designs to remove the flex elbow that is on the factory toe arm. They are also adjustable to allow toe and a slight amount of camber adjustment.

They are $1200 but if we get a few guys who want these we can offer a slight discount and free shipping.

James