SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Convenience functions temporarily unavailable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 55
Convenience functions temporarily unavailable

2005 SL55AMG with 13000 miles. The car was sit for approximately 4 months. It started fine, but there is a message: Convenience functions temporarily unavailable, and all the convenience functions are not working. Battery voltage 12.84v, started the car, voltage was up to 13.85v, increased RPM, voltage was up above 14.2v. stopped the engine, voltage was 12.4v. Charged the battery 24 hours voltage was up to 13.5, still had the message, over night, the battery voltage dropped to 12.84. Does it need a new battery? Just the one under the hood? Does this car have another battery somewhere? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by mirando; 02-23-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Drive around a bit with that message. It should go away in a couple of minutes. Then charge the battery with a nice long drive. If the next day you get this message again, then go change it.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
The battery under the hood is just for the starter. There is a bigger one in the right side of the trunk for top and the cars other electrical needs.

Hook up an overnight charger to it and see if that helps it. If not, you need a new rear battery.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
anyone know of a good rear battery for a replacement to factory? I'm thinking maybe Optima Red top?? looking for something that has the juice needed but is lighter in weight...any thoughts..?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 PM

sl 55 amg
Swear by the Optima

People are like you paid what for that battery!!.. Then they find out how long they last. Worth every penny the red tops. I never thought those would fit in the benz, I never really asked.. Post the results please and I will ask my mechanic as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
I think Braile makes a nice light battery for are cars. I have been getting the same light so maybe its the winter weather but time for a new battery.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 PM

sl65
been having the same issue after not driving for a few weeks. Charge the battery and the message is still there. had dealer test the battery and it checked good. The message does go away after driving about 10miles. pain having to wait to drop the top etc. Guess Ill have to start driving it more.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 AM

SL55 AMG
Make sure you buy an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery. Very important on the 55's

I just bought a Bosch one over here for mine. Same problem as yours...and it is the one in the boot.

hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by G3RPY UK
Make sure you buy an AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery. Very important on the 55's

I just bought a Bosch one over here for mine. Same problem as yours...and it is the one in the boot.

hope this helps.
why is this? Are there any alternative the the dealer when it comes to AGM type battery?

I don't know if the Optima red top or Braille are AGM? anyone know?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 PM

sl 55
Charged the rear battery overnight, it failed. So I am in the market for a new battery. Called Mercedes Benz dealer for the part: A0045418601. however, they said it is an acid battery. Autozone has the same size battery, 760 amps which exceeded the original battery 450amps, cost aout half, good warranty, it is an acid battery. Someone mentioned Optima battery, anyone knows the model? Is the difference between the acid and gel, or AFM battery just in term of life? not in function? Or we must use Gel or AGM battery in the trunk to avoid possible acid spilled in SL55AMG?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 PM

2004 SL55
An AGM battery is shipped dry by the manufacturer and then filled with acid by the dealer. The cheapest one available for the trunk is from Walmart for $80. The book listing batteries in Walmart is wrong. Bring your old one and a ruler to choose the correct one. It is the same battery sold by most auto parts stores like Autozone and they want $150. There are only a few manufacturers of batteries sold in the US.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM

sl 55
Originally Posted by busaboy
An AGM battery is shipped dry by the manufacturer and then filled with acid by the dealer. The cheapest one available for the trunk is from Walmart for $80. The book listing batteries in Walmart is wrong. Bring your old one and a ruler to choose the correct one. It is the same battery sold by most auto parts stores like Autozone and they want $150. There are only a few manufacturers of batteries sold in the US.
The Walmart sell Everstat Maxx 48 battery has the exact size. Is it a AGM battery? I can not find any reference on it.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:27 PM

2004 SL55
Originally Posted by mirando
The Walmart sell Everstat Maxx 48 battery has the exact size. Is it a AGM battery? I can not find any reference on it.
I believe the Maxx series is AGM and since the fill holes are capped that usually means AGM. The same battery is also sold by Advance Auto and others for 2x the price. When you buy some AGM batteries you have to fill the acid yourself. This is especiallay true for many motorcycle and watercraft AGM batteries. I would rather buy an AGM battery dry and add the acid myself to activate it. That way I know the job was done correctly.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Anyone have a P/N to the replacement Walmart battery for the trunk on the '03 - '06 SL55?

Alternatively which Optima Red Top is the correct one for our application, they should have a P/N as well I would think....

Why is it required that SL55 use a AGM type battery, I don't think the Optima is AGM, can we still go with that or a Braille (lightweight) even if they are not AGM instead ??
Old 03-01-2010, 03:23 PM

2004 SL55
The Walmart, Advance Auto and others are a mechanical clone of the stock battery. They even have the holes for the vent hose and the same carrying handles. Johnson Controls is the manufacturer. I would not try to use another type since you may need to modify the mounting brackets and the charging characteristics may not be the same. If you are unsure buy the OEM battery.

Last edited by busaboy; 03-01-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:16 AM

sl 55
Did a little research.

Both Optima and VARTA are AGM batteries and both are made by Johnson Controls Inc. Johnson Controls markets VARTA in Europe, Asia and South of America. Stock SL55AMG rear battery A0045418601
is VARTA P/N 570 901 076 3332(http://pmd.varta-automotive.com/pmd2...=5709010763332)

Optima product line does not have configuration identical with A0045418601.

Everstart MAXX 48 sold by Walmart is made by Johnson Controls and it has exactly same technical data and configuration like A0045418601, it fit into the 2005 SL55AMG tight rear trunk battery bay neatly with no modification. But the MAXX battery book said the MAXX 48 is only good for the MB SL class car up to 2003. Busaboy is right, the book is wrong, it does fit 2005 car. I agree with Busaboy, MAXX 48 is a private Walmart label of A0045418601.

MB dealer sells A0045418601 for $230. The after market import car parts dealer sells VARTA 570 901 076 3332(with a Mercedes Benz logo on it) for $175. The Everstart MAXX 48 by Walmart is $82 with three years warranty.

Once the Walmart Maxx battery is in, all convenience features come into alive. (There is a small modification, the vent hole opening of the MAXX 48 is in the middle of the two terminal, the stock battery vent hole is next to the positive terminal; it can be overcome by using the plastic vent tube the comes with the MAXX batterry, connected with the original vent tube of the failed battery, that would give you enough tube length extension to the external hole which is located next to the base of the battery on the positive terminal side.)

Last edited by mirando; 03-03-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: make it readable
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM

Ford Excursion
Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. All of our batteries are absorbed glass-mat (AGM), lead-acid in a Spiralcell design and are sealed at the factory. Although our batteries are considered ”maintenance-free,” not all maintenance-free batteries are AGM batteries. Even though our batteries are sealed, it is important that any lead-acid battery has proper ventilation. ALL lead-acid batteries can vent gas. Traditional wet batteries do this immediately when recharged, since they are not sealed. Sealed lead-acid batteries like Optimas and all other “dry cell” AGM batteries have safety release valves that should only vent if they are seriously overcharged.

Under normal operating conditions, an AGM battery will not vent gas. Since alternators or chargers can fail, the safest and correct mounting method for trunks and passenger compartments is to make sure that any possible gas venting will escape to the outside of the vehicle. All vehicles with original equipment battery locations in trunks or passenger compartments will have a vent provision that should be used. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.

Although people do it anyway, we would never recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space, because there’s a legitimate, albeit unlikely, safety risk involved.

For example, IF there is a voltage regulator failure, and IF the battery is severely overcharged, and IF this goes unnoticed, and IF the battery vents because the internal pressure exceeds the release pressure of the vents, the gasses are both flammable and toxic. This may sound like a lot of “ifs,” but attorneys and engineers get paid to plan for every worst-case scenario.

Unfortunately, there are more than 60 different types of 12-volt automotive batteries and we do not offer batteries that we consider “direct-fit” replacements for every vehicle, including late-model Mercedes-Benz vehicles. However, many MB owners have successfully used our batteries in applications that we consider “custom fitments” and may be able to offer input as to which batteries they used and how they safely mounted them.

You can find all the specifications for our YellowTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php and our RedTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/redtop/specs.php

Any custom application should consider these guidelines-

· Hood Clearance – There should be at least ľ” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood. When we do our fitment studies we put a ball of clay on top of the post, and VERY carefully close the hood to make sure that nothing makes contact. By measuring how much the clay is squeezed down when the hood is closed, we can know how much hood clearance we have.
· Trunk/Interior Mounting – As previously mentioned, if your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk (common in many European makes) the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
· Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short.We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using.
· Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
· Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
· Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

If you have any other battery-related questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Mirando,

Please use paragraphs in the future. Your post in almost un-readable.

Jim,

What battery do you recommend for our SL55's in Optima's lineup. Pure and simple.
Some people don't care WHY it works. They just want to know what battery to put in and know it's the best that money can buy.

Last edited by FLSL55; 03-03-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by FLSL55
Mirando,

Please use paragraphs in the future. Your post in almost un-readable.

Jim,

What battery do you recommend for our SL55's in Optima's lineup. Pure and simple.
Some people don't care WHY it works. They just want to know what battery to put in and know it's the best that money can buy.
Agreed...Jim I'd like to know what Optima battery to get for my '03 SL55 plain and simple...please includee P/N and brief instructions or advice on installation process, and where to purchase this battery.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:37 PM

sl 55
Originally Posted by OptimaJim
You can find all the specifications for our YellowTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php and our RedTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/redtop/specs.p

Thanks for the information. However, no battery in your product line meets the parameter requirement of the stock battery for the SL55AMG from the above reference.

(Stock SL55AMG rear battery A0045418601, which is identical with VARTA P/N 570 901 076 3332(http://pmd.varta-automotive.com/pmd2...=5709010763332)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by mirando
Did a little research.

Both Optima and VARTA are AGM batteries and both are made by Johnson Controls Inc. Johnson Controls markets VARTA in Europe, Asia and South of America. Stock SL55AMG rear battery A0045418601
is VARTA P/N 570 901 076 3332(http://pmd.varta-automotive.com/pmd2...=5709010763332)

Optima product line does not have configuration identical with A0045418601.

Everstart MAXX 48 sold by Walmart is made by Johnson Controls and it has exactly same technical data and configuration like A0045418601, it fit into the 2005 SL55AMG tight rear trunk battery bay neatly with no modification. But the MAXX battery book said the MAXX 48 is only good for the MB SL class car up to 2003. Busaboy is right, the book is wrong, it does fit 2005 car. I agree with Busaboy, MAXX 48 is a private Walmart label of A0045418601.

MB dealer sells A0045418601 for $230. The after market import car parts dealer sells VARTA 570 901 076 3332(with a Mercedes Benz logo on it) for $175. The Everstart MAXX 48 by Walmart is $82 with three years warranty.

Once the Walmart Maxx battery is in, all convenience features come into alive. (There is a small modification, the vent hole opening of the MAXX 48 is in the middle of the two terminal, the stock battery vent hole is next to the positive terminal; it can be overcome by using the plastic vent tube the comes with the MAXX batterry, connected with the original vent tube of the failed battery, that would give you enough tube length extension to the external hole which is located next to the base of the battery on the positive terminal side.)
I too need to replace rear battery, & laughed @ my MB parts dept $240 Identical prod for 1/3 the price, phukin MB tax is a joke!
I also found close 2nd @ Autozone for $120 w/core exchange.

Though $60 bucks is $60 bucks I don't throw money away w/viable alternatives available, once again thanks for the gum-shoe work
Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Hey Jim,

Thanks for enlightening us regarding the consumer electronics battery. This is a common issue for many on the forum.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 PM

Ford Excursion
I wish I could give a specific group size for your applications. Unfortunately, as I previously mentioned, we do not offer batteries that we consider “direct-fit” replacements for late-model Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Our definition of “direct-fit” is fairly conservative and as a result, many of our batteries are used in applications where only slight modifications to a battery tray or hold down are necessary, but I do not know what would be necessary for your vehicle. The specifications listed in the links I provided do give exact measurements of all our batteries and some aftermarket companies specialize in reverse-engineering battery trays for custom applications. The criteria in my previous post is intended to put the information in your hands to make an informed evaluation of a custom fitment. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance, but if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
Old 03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Thanks Jim for your help. Could you (and this may be asking too much but I know it would help me and many others here) find an SL55, take some measurements and snoop around that battery area, then recommend a unit (I love the Optima Red Top myslf) and an adapter or battery hold down kit (like from Summit Racing or Jegs) that would work with our cars and the battery unit you specify; any P/n's and where to source the battery and instal kit would help as well as maybe some "how to" suggestions like a little DIY write-up.

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
I wish I could give a specific group size for your applications. Unfortunately, as I previously mentioned, we do not offer batteries that we consider “direct-fit” replacements for late-model Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Our definition of “direct-fit” is fairly conservative and as a result, many of our batteries are used in applications where only slight modifications to a battery tray or hold down are necessary, but I do not know what would be necessary for your vehicle. The specifications listed in the links I provided do give exact measurements of all our batteries and some aftermarket companies specialize in reverse-engineering battery trays for custom applications. The criteria in my previous post is intended to put the information in your hands to make an informed evaluation of a custom fitment. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance, but if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
Old 03-15-2010, 12:30 PM

Ford Excursion
Hi Sunir, Optima tends to be a very conservative company. As a result, safety and liability concerns limit the amount of information I can provide about custom applications beyond what has already been given, which can assist you in making an informed decision. Even if I were allowed to do that type of thing, I might have trouble finding an SL55 in rural Wisconsin and then convincing the owner to let me snoop around inside. I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more assistance.

Jim McIlvaine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Convenience functions temporarily unavailable