SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Premiums...Markups???!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 01:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55
Premiums...Markups???!!

Hey Guys,

I am about to make a decision on purchasing an SL55 and would like everyone's input if possible.

I live in Los Angeles and I know that can come into play.
However I am wondering what everyone sees as a premium these days on this car. Dealers out here are still asking $10K+ and I made an offer for $7K over (they will get back to me).

In anycase, has anyone in this forum paid over sticker for this car? Or know of any places that has them for sticker or are asking a smaller premium than the markets here in Los Angeles?

Personally I think the market should let up a bit with the hard hit economy and war.

Thanks in advanced.

James
Old 04-03-2003, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1M, F550M, F550B, F40, S600, 365GTC, DBSx2, etc.
I would try to call around the country. A lot of dealerships in poorer states might be sitting on cars or short lists due to fear of war, economy, etc.

A little time and phone cost will save you 7k hopefully.

--Dan
Old 04-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 SL 55;'04 G55
I paid a $10K premium on a car I ordered end of February for end of June delivery in Baltimore. I know, I'm stupid. I am aware of some dealers out there that are delivering cars at MSRP, the question is how long you going to have to wait.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
the current wholesale on new SL55's is 10k over sticker.

Else, you can get on a waiting list.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:06 PM

SL55
Beesfan,

Long Beach, CA has a Firemist red SL55 on the lot @ $10K over if you want one right away. Just FYI....it was there since last night.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 SL 55;'04 G55
Reminder99, thanks for the heads up, but I'll wait for my Magma Red at the end of June.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:00 PM

SL55
Well Guys,

Call it luck? But I am a new owner of a Blk/Charcoal SL55 with Panorama roof and Bi-Xenons at $7K over.

Dumb? Or did I luck out? Car will be in my hands in 10 days.

Thanks for everyones feedback.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1M, F550M, F550B, F40, S600, 365GTC, DBSx2, etc.
I say you found a deal! 7k and 10 days is quite nice. I'd have done the same - I'm in it until July...

--Dan
Old 04-03-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W126 1991 350SDL
reminder99 --- life is exceptionally short. 5% of anything is not a big relative number. screw the money and enjoy the ride!!!

doody.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:02 PM

2005 SLK350
I think 7k above MSRP is a good deal. I went back to Hawaii over spring break and Theodavies (the only authorized MB dealer in the whole state... talk about monopoly ) is still charging around 10k-20k over sticker for a SL500 (yes a SL500) and 50k over sticker for SL55. Surprising thing is, I saw two SL55s in my neighborhood while I was home. I hope they bought it from some other dealer, cant imagine paying almost 50% of the total price in markups.

as for me, I put a SL55 on order on Ed Hicks for MSRP (altho shipping to hawaii will probably turn out to be a few g's so its almost like paying a premium, but nothing close to what Theodavies is charging). now its just a waiting game for me.

Last edited by evanichka; 04-04-2003 at 03:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
I've had my black/charcoal 55 for about three weeks; bought as the war was starting (ordered over a year ago; moved the order from an early SL500 to the SL55). It was with all options other than distronic; turbine wheels. Wonderful car.

Last week dealer asked if I'd be interested in selling; they had only one other, that fell through and it went around 150 they said. Almost seems like pricing is firming (could it really?) as the war comes to a successful end. So I think I did right taking the delivery in the midst of war tension (at MSRP).

They asked me if I'd take 10 over and I said no; 15 over so as to compensate for taxes (which weren't bad as I traded a CLK500), and I said not worth it; cars too hard to come by. Now, if they'd said 25-30 over (and that's what some are being asked for on a couple sites that aren't gray market or questionable cars) maybe one would have to give it thought.

The real question (since I'm not in the car business), might be if one has one, what will it be worth in a year, after enjoyment of the car, and not wanting to take a sizeable hit (near MSRP then? if so no reason to even consider selling I guess).

Terrific car! best ever ..

gene
Old 04-04-2003, 07:53 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
The premiums already are disappearing

It takes some shopping, but MSRP is not really that hard to come by even now. The factory ramped up the allocation of SL55 production to the point that this is not a limited production vehicle anymore. A year from now expect the standard 20% depreciation from the new car price if you have over ten thousand miles on it - especially if you sell to a dealer. Keep in mind that a lot of these start coming off lease after one year as leasees trade for whatever is latest and greatest.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:07 PM

SL55
Northbenz,

I don't disagree with you on the MSRP availability. However in my experience from calling nationwide (even in areas like Alaska), they were still asking over. On average of $10K+. As for used cars, well, even those are at dealerships with markups just as high as new cars.

And though MSRPs are not uncommon perse, I only came across 8 dealers in all of USA that would do it on a lengthy time frame of delivery. And on top of that, only 3 would sell it outside of their vicinity. (Leadtimes were 8 months to 1 yr).

I do wonder who would lease the SL55 for 1 year however...I can't personally imagine putting $10K down and $3K a month for just 1 year!!! But at what prices the cars go for after the lease is up is anyone's guess. One thing is for sure, all cars and seemingly the highend cars, all depreciate faster and bigger than the cheaper ones. That is just a fact of life. But I am in it for the long haul. I don't see myself selling this car anytime soon.

I don't mean to doubt what you say, but have you come across any MSRP immediate delivery cars for the SL55? If you do I think everyone in this forum would love to know about it.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,344 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Re: The premiums already are disappearing

Originally posted by northbenz
It takes some shopping, but MSRP is not really that hard to come by even now. The factory ramped up the allocation of SL55 production to the point that this is not a limited production vehicle anymore. A year from now expect the standard 20% depreciation from the new car price if you have over ten thousand miles on it - especially if you sell to a dealer. Keep in mind that a lot of these start coming off lease after one year as leasees trade for whatever is latest and greatest.
I bought the car at MSRP anyway, but doubt that they will hit a 20% depreciation, certainly not within a year. While they ramped up the production it is by no means a regular production car. Smaller dealers still only have a couple of cars allocated per year well into 2004 and some continue to have long waiting lists. I guess it all depends on the region.

Btw, you'll be surprised of how few people are actually interested to call around the country to find available car for a better price, even if it makes great sense.

Wolfman
Old 04-04-2003, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
$7k to get in a car in 10 days seems a good deal to me especially as the UK and US are overdue a price rise. Prices have already risen in Germany and both the dollar and pound are well down against the Euro since the current prices were set.

It does look like premiums are softening - economic and political uncertainties plus a production process which is delivering means that initial must-have-the-car-at-any-price is going.

As for selling the car, I know there are some who have sold because they find getting in and out of it all together too much trouble and there will be those like morebhp who maybe are planning to change after a summer with the SL. For me, I'm planning to keep the SL55 for a long while because I don't see anything coming which will compete with it.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W126 1991 350SDL
if you want to guess how these things might depreciate, take a look at the 996TT market. same price point. same pent-up demand prior to and after release.

once the dealers cleared the waiting lists, the markets started to change dramatically. it took about (my guess) 18 months after first shipments into the US, and then you could negotiate sub-MSRP deals with the dealers. and then that coincided (or triggered) the rapid decline of the secondary market.

the culprit was that they produced a ton of cars. porsche never promised this was a limited production vehicle. MB has not promised that the SL55 will be a limited production vehicle. the 996TT is porsche's most profitable car, and they decided to up production. my gut says that MB has upped SL55 production as well given the demand.

but demand for cars like this is not as universal or broad as demand for MB S series or BMW 5 series or the like. it's a very specific market segment, and the majority of those folks know in advance about the vehicles and pay attention. once you've closed all those customers, it's a tougher vehicle to sell. and once you over-produce, it really beats up the secondary market.

so i wouldn't get my panties in a knot about whether or not the SL55 prices will eventually suck doo doo. they will, and like virtually all cars in this class, the guys who buy used 2-3 years later will get good deals and the guys who buy new up-front and don't flip in months will take a standard to "better than average" depreciation hit.

depreciation happens. there's no way around it in non-limited-production cars.

my dealer is one of the larger dealers in New England and they expected 1 or 2 per quarter and have been getting 1 or 2 per month. it's still the honeymoon period, but by next spring it will be getting unpleasant. 20% depreciation would be a minor miracle.

my two pennies.

doody.

Last edited by Doody; 04-05-2003 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:33 AM

SL55
Somethings you cannot put money on. For example, the ability to get a car in the short interim (10 days or less) and to be able to enjoy the summer with the top down. As they say in the Mastercard commercials, "priceless".

Though I try to look at it from a economical stand point and did factor in the 911 turbo as a good example of depreciation, I do also want to note a couple of things. And by all means this is just my reasoning...(note: I also own a 996).

1). The 911 Turbo became a target of some competitive
onslaught. For it's price range of $120K, it finds itself in
a strange place to be. Its sticker price is close to the price
of a Ferrari 360 ($145K). And I myself as many others,
feel that the interior could be better for a car of this price.
It is also a performance sports car that has competition from
the Z06 which is more or less in its' head to head
performance vs. price category. And now with the SL55 on
the market, many 911 turbo owners I know have jumped
on the band wagon of trading their turbos in. I am lucky to
be able to have both, but if I had to choose one I think I
would have to go the way of the Benz, even though they
are made for different drivers. I think most people can
appreciate the speed and feel of the SL55 as well as the
fact that the car has the ability to be a hardtop and
convertible, the comfort, and build quality. In my opinion
though the SL55 is termed a GT and the 911 a sports car
its becoming a blurring line to me, especially since they
are in the same price range. Now if it were the SL55
compared to the BMW 760iL ($120K) then it would be a
different story.

2). Limited production vehicles or niche vechiles are subjected
to premiums and higher rates of depreciation...this is true.
Case in point the 911 GT2. But then there are other cases
such as the BMW M5, which isn't as severe as the 911
example. Although output from the factory does affect the
demand and market conditions of any one car, I personally
think that AMG will have it's hands tied before it can
dedicate all of it's engines to the SL line. With basically an
AMG model for every line up, I find it hard to for them to
overproduce any one line up.

Sorry for the lengthy "reasoning" but in the end I feel just like BLUE SL, there is not really any other car in the near future that will make me sell the SL55 anytime soon. Perhaps an SL65?? But as for an overall package, it's hard to beat the the speed, comfort, build quality, enjoyment, not to mention the closeness of the dealership that the MB provides.

I guess it all comes down to perception and what is important and I personally think that at this very time in this very market I found a decent car at a decent price even if it's $7K over. Believe me I tried calling every dealership possible; as mentioned Alaska and even Puerto Rico...but this is the best yet for the time frame of delivery.

Just my two cents.