SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Power increase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG, GL550, S550, E500
SL55 Power increase

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me what is the best/least expensive way to increase the power of an SL55?

Mark
Old 09-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
You should try Search Motorsport , an awesome company.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by Wexford Mark
Hello All,

Can anyone tell me what is the best/least expensive way to increase the power of an SL55?

Mark
Crankshaft pulley + ECU tune.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Will a chip change in the ECU make a difference, if nothing else gets changed?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:56 PM

M-B 2003 SL55 AMG
http://speedtuningusa.com/

Take a peek at this .
Old 09-13-2010, 06:59 AM

Thanks guys! I will begin my research.

Mark
Old 09-13-2010, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
tune alone..or tune chip n' pulley...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL550
Sell your car and buy an SL65
Old 09-14-2010, 11:40 AM

ML63, ML320
Earlier today I decided to try Speedtuning. Should have it installed by the weekend so I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
We have developed some great tuning for the 55K cars.

Here are links to our MB page and testimonials. We may not be the cheapest, but our clients feel we are the best.

http://www.veloceperformance.com/mercedes.htm

http://www.veloceperformance.com/testimonial.htm

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by carcommander
Now that's a really helpful answer. I would love to see a stealthy modified 55 fly under the radar and "yank the paint" of your 65 ...believe me they are out there
Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 AM

2007 SL55
Question....as I understand it, the pulley kit increases the size of the supercharger pulley (more revs of supercharger for each rev of the belt) but alos uses a smaller pulley for the water pump...which would mean less revs of the water pump per rev of belt. So you add more power to the engine (more air and fuel) and reduce the cooling system performance....that can't be good for longevity can it? And then on top of that you do some magic with the ECU chip and add even more power (more fuel and air), any yet overall have the same reduction in cooling capacity. Really? Is that smart?

The 030 performance package adds an additional engine cooler (oil, I believe), so it would seem better able to handle the extra power in terms of the extra cooling needed, but still worry that overall the engine will run hotter.

Comments? Anyone had any problems with these kits in terms of long term engine issues?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Fasthound
Question....as I understand it, the pulley kit increases the size of the supercharger pulley (more revs of supercharger for each rev of the belt) but alos uses a smaller pulley for the water pump...which would mean less revs of the water pump per rev of belt. So you add more power to the engine (more air and fuel) and reduce the cooling system performance....that can't be good for longevity can it? And then on top of that you do some magic with the ECU chip and add even more power (more fuel and air), any yet overall have the same reduction in cooling capacity. Really? Is that smart?

The 030 performance package adds an additional engine cooler (oil, I believe), so it would seem better able to handle the extra power in terms of the extra cooling needed, but still worry that overall the engine will run hotter.

Comments? Anyone had any problems with these kits in terms of long term engine issues?
It is not supercharger pulley that is increased in size, it is the crank pulley
Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 AM

2007 SL55
DOH! Thanks for the clarification.

That makes MUCH more sense...I should have realized that....now that I go back and look at the various kit descriptions, I see that it is the crank pulley, not the supercharger pulley.

But the water pump pulley is still downsized, right? So still pushing more power output at same cooling capacity as stock? Anyone ever calculate the change in power vs cooling capacity? Again, just wondering about any long term issues in terms of engine longevity. Likely not a problem since these things are built like tanks (although a lot of things on these cars are over-engineered and fragile - typical, in my experience, of MB and BMW, but not Porsche for some reason).

Last edited by Fasthound; 09-15-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
DOH! Thanks for the clarification.

That makes MUCH more sense...I should have realized that....now that I go back and look at the various kit descriptions, I see that it is the crank pulley, not the supercharger pulley.

But the water pump pulley is still downsized, right? So still pushing more power output at same cooling capacity as stock? Anyone ever calculate the change in power vs cooling capacity? Again, just wondering about any long term issues in terms of engine longevity. Likely not a problem since these things are built like tanks (although a lot of things on these cars are over-engineered and fragile - typical, in my experience, of MB and BMW, but not Porsche for some reason).
cooling upgrades are ussually recommended with pulley change to larger crank pulley for more power. Yes I agree Porsches are pretty stout but they too have their issues and quirks...especially since switching out of the aircooled 993 cars
Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM

2007 SL55
Porsche - I had a 1997 993/911 that was 100% bullet-proof even after 30 track days. Had a 1972 911 stripped for racing with a 1989 3.2L engine...also bullet-proof. Also had a 2007 997/911 GT3....also bullet-proof even with track days. 2005 Ferrari F430...also bullet-proof even with track days.

Mercedes - 2007 SL55 has been in the shop at least five times for silly little crap related to ride height/suspension and seats (lumbar support issues...many parts replaced, still has a mind of it's own) and other little things with only 15000 miles on the clock. And when looking at the service history I can see that it's had all sorts of issues and parts replaced.

BMW - Had a 1991 BMW 750iL (best road trip car I have ever owned), and something on it was ALWAYS breaking...stupidly complex car for it's day), although the engine was bullet-proof and glorious (5L V-12...smooth and tons of low end torque). Friends have had similar issues with new and old BMW's. Engines are great, rest of car has issues with things breaking and not working all the time...same with Audi's.

Love the SL55, but let's face it, their maintenance records are not what you'd call stellar. I've had less problems in two+ years with the Ferrari than in three months with the SL55. Still, as a dailey driver, the SL is brilliant. While the F430 can be driven as a daily driver, it's not the most comfortable or civilized transport available. I find myself choosing the SL55 over the Ferrari for the street, although I am not sure I'd want to take the SL55 to the track given it's stupendous weight. It's 1200-1300 lbs heavier than the F430.

Anyway, love the car. I can put up with the silly little stuff. Euromotorcars Bethesda has been great so far in terms of dealing with all the little crap. It's fully covered through Oct 2010, CPO'd through Oct 2011 and I have extended the warranty to 2013, so hopefully, most of the stuff that breaks will get covered. Latest silly thing to break is the side pocket on the drivers door. Haven't bothered to do anything about it yet. figure I'll wait until the last week of full factory warranty and take it in for a host of little stuff.

In the meantime, the weather is beautiful and the top works great (after getting the "flap fix" installed under warranty), so no complaints.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Porsche - I had a 1997 993/911 that was 100% bullet-proof even after 30 track days. Had a 1972 911 stripped for racing with a 1989 3.2L engine...also bullet-proof. Also had a 2007 997/911 GT3....also bullet-proof even with track days. 2005 Ferrari F430...also bullet-proof even with track days.

Mercedes - 2007 SL55 has been in the shop at least five times for silly little crap related to ride height/suspension and seats (lumbar support issues...many parts replaced, still has a mind of it's own) and other little things with only 15000 miles on the clock. And when looking at the service history I can see that it's had all sorts of issues and parts replaced.

BMW - Had a 1991 BMW 750iL (best road trip car I have ever owned), and something on it was ALWAYS breaking...stupidly complex car for it's day), although the engine was bullet-proof and glorious (5L V-12...smooth and tons of low end torque). Friends have had similar issues with new and old BMW's. Engines are great, rest of car has issues with things breaking and not working all the time...same with Audi's.

Love the SL55, but let's face it, their maintenance records are not what you'd call stellar. I've had less problems in two+ years with the Ferrari than in three months with the SL55. Still, as a dailey driver, the SL is brilliant. While the F430 can be driven as a daily driver, it's not the most comfortable or civilized transport available. I find myself choosing the SL55 over the Ferrari for the street, although I am not sure I'd want to take the SL55 to the track given it's stupendous weight. It's 1200-1300 lbs heavier than the F430.

Anyway, love the car. I can put up with the silly little stuff. Euromotorcars Bethesda has been great so far in terms of dealing with all the little crap. It's fully covered through Oct 2010, CPO'd through Oct 2011 and I have extended the warranty to 2013, so hopefully, most of the stuff that breaks will get covered. Latest silly thing to break is the side pocket on the drivers door. Haven't bothered to do anything about it yet. figure I'll wait until the last week of full factory warranty and take it in for a host of little stuff.

In the meantime, the weather is beautiful and the top works great (after getting the "flap fix" installed under warranty), so no complaints.
Do you go to Summit a lot? What events to you go to? I've instructed with Ferarri of Wash and Algar events with Alie Ash and Bob Segal as well as multiple PCA events. Now mostly instructing at FATT program with BSR...have been racing at SPR since '04 in BMW CCA and NASA GTS3

The 430 is a nice track car, I've driven the 430CH and challenge Stradale as well and they are very nice, I love the GT3RS out there as well...the SL cannot compare to F430 or GT3 on the track, they are just two different animals, those are sports cars, the SL is a great grand tourer, fast and stylish boulevard cruiser and highway ubersled...and where else can you have that much power and a hardtop convertable...that's what makes the SL great!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 PM

2007 SL55
Originally Posted by Sunir
Do you go to Summit a lot? What events to you go to? I've instructed with Ferarri of Wash and Algar events with Alie Ash and Bob Segal as well as multiple PCA events. Now mostly instructing at FATT program with BSR...have been racing at SPR since '04 in BMW CCA and NASA GTS3

The 430 is a nice track car, I've driven the 430CH and challenge Stradale as well and they are very nice, I love the GT3RS out there as well...the SL cannot compare to F430 or GT3 on the track, they are just two different animals, those are sports cars, the SL is a great grand tourer, fast and stylish boulevard cruiser and highway ubersled...and where else can you have that much power and a hardtop convertable...that's what makes the SL great!

I used to go to SP quite a lot (since 1998)...I have well over 100 days at that track as a driver, instructor and racer (PCA GT3S). Sold the 911 race car in 2003. Was running a struggling engineering company and just didn't have the time. Still run with PCA occasionally, although usually out of region clubs (Schattenbaum is GREAT!!!). I was a senior instructor with PCA for years, but after instructing this summer at a PCA event, I decided I'm done. Just no longer interested in getting into strangers cars and hurtling down the straight at 100+ with 3-point belts wondering if they will listen to my instructions. I feel like I've paid my debt to those who came before me...the ones who taught me how to drive and race. I thank them all!!

I have owned and tracked the following:

Ferrari - 1996 355 (red/tan), 2005 F430 (red/tan)
Porsche - 1997 911 C2 (red/black), 1972 911 race car (white - see photo - cold day at VIR), 2007 GT3 (white/black) - much prefer the F430 to the GT3...MUCH!
and....my old 1999 Dodge Durango (red/gray) - wet skid pad at SP...was a TOTAL HOOT!!!

Miss my little '72 911 race car the most. The most precise steering and once you got used to the oversteer it was a beautiful little car to drive. I had massive brakes on her, and could out-brake the guys who had spent more on their engines that I did on my car. Stock 3.2L in the back. 2150 pounds wet. What a hoot she was to fling around SP, VIR, Mid-Ohio, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Putnam Park, Carolina Motorsports Park. Wish I'd never sold her, but it was the right decision at the time.

I stopped tracking with FoW once they got new owners who are simply not people I will deal with....long, stupid story.

So I don't get to the track much (only two days so far this year), and am actually thinking of selling the F430 since she doesn't get used that much. Need to respray the bumper to take care of all the track rash, and I think the exhaust headers are finally starting to go (known problem on 355's, 360's, 430's), but otherwise in great shape. Hate to even think about it, but just got the Virginia personal property tax bill for the 430......$6K a year to have it sitting there...silly.

Agree that the SL is a different beast. I looked for mine for about two years...was looking for a low mileage 2007/2008 in red (I am a sucker for RED two door sport/GT cars) with the 030 package and NOT a stone interior. Really love the car. The seats in the F430 are more comfortable, but otherwise the SL trumps everything except that big old BMW 750iL in terms of cruising. Fast, good brakes (especially with the 030 package), immense reserves of torque...yep, love it all.
Attached Thumbnails SL55 Power increase-untitled-18.bmp  

Last edited by Fasthound; 09-17-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 09-18-2010, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
It's nice to see some other racers/instructors that are into SL's and Ferrari's.

All this car stuff, and the friends we make, are really a support group for our addiction!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:47 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by carcommander
The douche behavior of some people never fails to amaze me.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Brent72
The douche behavior of some people never fails to amaze me.
ahh he's ok...ya just gotta understand carcomander's sense of humor lol joke back with him he's good with that...the more sarcastic the better