SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: URGENT! Might buy SL55 tomorrow, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 H2 - SL55 ('05/'06??)
URGENT! Might buy SL55 tomorrow, Need Help!

I promise this is the last annoying thread of me asking for help on what to buy .

So here's my case: I have been waiting during the winter time to find that one SL55 at the auction, no success (over 6months now!). Now I am getting impatient. Would you continue to wait until the spring were there are a few a month and you're bound to find the one you love with ~40k miles, or would you jump the gun tomorrow and buy a 2006 SL55 black on gray 52k miles $45k (can get down to $34-38k) from the Dealership (ew, right?)?

Thank you!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
first, set your expectations correctly.

the car you are talking about is a 40k wholesale, 42-43k car retail. you are not talking the dealer down to 3x.xxx unless i am missing something and the car has a serious problem or is a lemon, etc. if you can take it for 3x.xxx by all means jump on it as it appears to be an excellent deal.

next, you can certainly wait. but there will be always something to wait for. if you want a car- drive your best bargain and get it. time goes only one way.

just my 2 pro cents
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 PM

It's 3 owners properly maintained everything done at dealer no accidents. If there was a 2005 sl55 24k miles sold for 36k black on black LAST YEAR, I doubt I can't smack 36gs on the table and get myself this one.

This car has been for sale for a few months, so they're definitly interested in sending it to the high end auction were it will not garner more than 38. Remember, price relies heavily on location as well. 40k here may be 50k in another state.

Thank you for your opinion.

Last edited by Future MDPilot; 03-04-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by Future MDPilot
I promise this is the last annoying thread of me asking for help on what to buy .

So here's my case: I have been waiting during the winter time to find that one SL55 at the auction, no success (over 6months now!). Now I am getting impatient. Would you continue to wait until the spring were there are a few a month and you're bound to find the one you love with ~40k miles, or would you jump the gun tomorrow and buy a 2006 SL55 black on gray 52k miles $45k (can get down to $34-38k) from the Dealership (ew, right?)?

Thank you!!!

Do not get impatient. I did that with a car before and I ended up being very very unhappy with it. Awful thing to drive something you hate. What about looking in other places other then a dealer? Also waiting until spring there will be more around for sale.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Do not get impatient. I did that with a car before and I ended up being very very unhappy with it. Awful thing to drive something you hate. What about looking in other places other then a dealer? Also waiting until spring there will be more around for sale.
I know but after almost a year it's hard to wait, especially with spring coming . Auction will contain atleast one a week when summer comes, but I want it naow (trying to sound like a spoiled kid, lol).

Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
I know but after almost a year it's hard to wait, especially with spring coming . Auction will contain atleast one a week when summer comes, but I want it naow (trying to sound like a spoiled kid, lol).

Hahaha. I know what you mean. I have been there. I needed a new DD to commute 60 miles with and it took me about 8months to find just what I wanted. Exaclty how much are you looking to spend? Where are you located?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 C55 AMG - 2018 340i - 2006 SL55 AMG - Sold
So far (according to Manheim) the only two 2006 SL55's to sell in 2011 were:

$36,600.00 - Riverside auction - 47k miles - gray

$39,400.00 - FAOO - 31k miles - silver

The depreciation curve is in full swing on the 06 and 07's now. The dealer probably knows that the car is a $36,000 car at auction...at best.

Offer $34k, hammer on em, be sure that management knows of your $34k offer, and walk away. Tell them to call you if they change their mind. Wait for the phone call and see if they bite. If they don't call or want $36-$38k....I still maybe pull the trigger. Any more then $39k, and I blow em off.

I had an 06 SL55 for awhile. An aftermarket warranty is a must, so factor that into your price.

Also, your first move (if you buy) should be to pull the front battery (passenger side of hood compartment) and check out the battery tray and ECU harness below. The SL's seem to have a common leaky front battery problem that eats slowly into the harness. This is NOT a fun problem. Mine had it, and I corrected it right away before the leaky battery corroded my harness into a 4 figure repair.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
If you think this will become your new love, $3-4k should not matter.

You may wish to negotiate an extended warranty as a condition of sale. This is the best time to get the best price on a extended warranty. Also it gives the dealer a chance to meet you somewhere on your price offer.

Make sure it has:
New brakes and tires
Complete Service

Get a print out of the service history.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Hahaha. I know what you mean. I have been there. I needed a new DD to commute 60 miles with and it took me about 8months to find just what I wanted. Exaclty how much are you looking to spend? Where are you located?
I do not want to spend more than 40 grand on the vehicle with a warranty being no issue for me as I can obtain the highest quality repairs for no charge.

I am located in the New England region in MA, so I say that that would help me as the question poses as to who would actually buy a vehicle like that in NE.

I just want to ask one thing as I have not seen an SL in AGES: would you prefer to wait for a black on black or black on red combo instead of the more conventional black on gray, or do they look the same?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by LukasBMW
So far (according to Manheim) the only two 2006 SL55's to sell in 2011 were:

$36,600.00 - Riverside auction - 47k miles - gray

$39,400.00 - FAOO - 31k miles - silver

The depreciation curve is in full swing on the 06 and 07's now. The dealer probably knows that the car is a $36,000 car at auction...at best.

Offer $34k, hammer on em, be sure that management knows of your $34k offer, and walk away. Tell them to call you if they change their mind. Wait for the phone call and see if they bite. If they don't call or want $36-$38k....I still maybe pull the trigger. Any more then $39k, and I blow em off.

I had an 06 SL55 for awhile. An aftermarket warranty is a must, so factor that into your price.

Also, your first move (if you buy) should be to pull the front battery (passenger side of hood compartment) and check out the battery tray and ECU harness below. The SL's seem to have a common leaky front battery problem that eats slowly into the harness. This is NOT a fun problem. Mine had it, and I corrected it right away before the leaky battery corroded my harness into a 4 figure repair.
Thank you so much for the information!

So far at the ADESA auction, only one 2005 SL55 has been sold this year, silver on berry red with 32k miles for 36k. Another 2007 has been sold with 40k miles for 52k.

I checked the carfax and the battery had been replaced recently, so maybe that problem has been resolved? Anyways, I will DEFINITLY check. Any other things I have to look out for? I am not knowledgeable of common problems associated with the SL55.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by m_berman
If you think this will become your new love, $3-4k should not matter.

You may wish to negotiate an extended warranty as a condition of sale. This is the best time to get the best price on a extended warranty. Also it gives the dealer a chance to meet you somewhere on your price offer.

Make sure it has:
New brakes and tires
Complete Service

Get a print out of the service history.
Would you be able to check the carfax for me to judge on the "Complete Service" aspect? I can give you a link to the website.

Thank you!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you so much for the information!

So far at the ADESA auction, only one 2005 SL55 has been sold this year, silver on berry red with 32k miles for 36k. Another 2007 has been sold with 40k miles for 52k.

I checked the carfax and the battery had been replaced recently, so maybe that problem has been resolved? Anyways, I will DEFINITLY check. Any other things I have to look out for? I am not knowledgeable of common problems associated with the SL55.
I actually have checked both cars in person at adesa as I am a wholesale buyer and I remember them both to be nothing I would like to purchase. Adesa is expensive. If you want an auction car you will need to find cars at manheim and either drive/ fly down there to pa to inspect them and bid or bid blindly online relying on online report.

The convertibles are coming into season and dealers know it. It will be hard to negotiate aggressively. If you can get your car for less than 40- get it.

Last edited by alx; 03-05-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks guys but I'm still waiting for that perfect SL55 to roll into the auction .

Last edited by Future MDPilot; 03-06-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 PM

SL65
Sl55 prices

If it makes you feel any better...I bought a 2005 last week for 42K. It had extras: Designo Graphite series, Distronic, Panorama Roof, Sirius, Sl65 Wheels, MBZ warranty through late 2013, 12K miles and more goodies...but still a lot more than you're paying. By the way, I've had the car disease all my life, owned several of everything you can think of (except Bentley) and I must say I really enjoy this car. Great compromise of comfort, performance and (comparatively) cost. I almost bought an Sl65, but I am happy with this. I'll bet you will be too.

Last edited by migg48; 03-07-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:06 AM

Buy this one? :)

Sorry, wrong thread. Delete this or Ignore.

Last edited by Future MDPilot; 03-12-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
SL63, GTR
WOW, you got an amazing deal on it. I would have bought it for that price without even thinking about it. ENJOY

Originally Posted by migg48
If it makes you feel any better...I bought a 2005 last week for 42K. It had extras: Designo Graphite series, Distronic, Panorama Roof, Sirius, Sl65 Wheels, MBZ warranty through late 2013, 12K miles and more goodies...but still a lot more than you're paying. By the way, I've had the car disease all my life, owned several of everything you can think of (except Bentley) and I must say I really enjoy this car. Great compromise of comfort, performance and (comparatively) cost. I almost bought an Sl65, but I am happy with this. I'll bet you will be too.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
All this 'nickle-dime' price shopping usually ends in tears.

You buy the best car you can afford. Go through the service history and see if the car has been a regular problem. Go through the records and se if the car has been serviced regularly... Then pay an expert to go through the car. You will spend more for a better, well cared for car than a dog. But the former will put a smile on your face and the latter will irritate you.

btw..... Looking at a Carfax does not constitute going through the records. All that does for me is show any accidents, odometer issues, etc.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:17 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
All this 'nickle-dime' price shopping usually ends in tears.

You buy the best car you can afford. Go through the service history and see if the car has been a regular problem. Go through the records and se if the car has been serviced regularly... Then pay an expert to go through the car. You will spend more for a better, well cared for car than a dog. But the former will put a smile on your face and the latter will irritate you.

btw..... Looking at a Carfax does not constitute going through the records. All that does for me is show any accidents, odometer issues, etc.
So true... If you are very mechanically inclined, have extensive tools collection, star mark, lift, etc... You can afford to buy a cheap car with problems... But 95% of the buyers will end up paying more to fix it up than to buy a good ca to begin with...
Old 03-19-2011, 04:14 PM

SL65
I agree. There have been some really low numbers tossed out here for SL55s, and they may be good cars. I decided to pay a little more for peace of mind. Mine has the MBZ bumper-bumper no deductible warranty, plus looks, smells, feels and drives like new. I could have bought a SL65 with 20K miles for $2000 less than I paid for the 55, but it wasn't as nice and didn't have warranty. Plus.....both cars are fast enough to get you into jail in under 60 seconds..........
Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 AM

SL 55 AMG & ML 350
Definitely listen to LukasBMW about the battery! Actually, everyone go check your front battery now! OMG! Just checked mine and what a hidden mess I found! Now I have the pleasure of cleaning up toxic battery acid and shopping for a new battery tomorrow.

Future MDPilot, a word of advice before you settle..... I love my SL 55, but be ready to dump money on maintenance and repair bills. Not a cheap car when it comes to parts and labor my friend. If its not the dealer, most shops don't even want to touch it. And if they do....I would make sure they are very reputable with working on MB's.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM

SL55 AMG
i know it sucks, but wait for the right one...i was looking since november and finally got mine a few weeks ago. i had about 2 slip thru my hands..(out of state..2 guys "stole" them before i could arrange flights, etc) and another 1 i was very close to forking over the money but didnt have all the options i wanted. the last one everything looked good was ready to make a 4 hr drive to see it and then the guy fails to mention he doesnt have a title in hand!! cheap ***k couldnt make his last 3 payments...

moral of the story....just dont settle!! especially with options - i even considered a 500 with amg kit fully loaded, but i stuck to my guns and the right one came around... even came with a passport srx and rear lip which i was gonna add anyway.

long story short...eventually itll work itself out and you'll appreciate it SO much more.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by oren217
i know it sucks, but wait for the right one...i was looking since november and finally got mine a few weeks ago. i had about 2 slip thru my hands..(out of state..2 guys "stole" them before i could arrange flights, etc) and another 1 i was very close to forking over the money but didnt have all the options i wanted. the last one everything looked good was ready to make a 4 hr drive to see it and then the guy fails to mention he doesnt have a title in hand!! cheap ***k couldnt make his last 3 payments...

moral of the story....just dont settle!! especially with options - i even considered a 500 with amg kit fully loaded, but i stuck to my guns and the right one came around... even came with a passport srx and rear lip which i was gonna add anyway.

long story short...eventually itll work itself out and you'll appreciate it SO much more.
Congratulations on the purchase! Myself, however, bought something different and haven't regretted it since .

Black w/ Silver striped 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LOADED.

My next purchase after I get accepted into Medical School (senior in high school next year) will be a gtr or an sl65 to go with mai American beast. Hopefully I won't have to wait a year for that as well.

Enjoy your mercedes! It's one of those cars that is worth the wait!