SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Serious IAT problems - S65 Eurocharged tune w/ upgraded Meziere pump - HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Serious IAT problems - S65 Eurocharged tune w/ upgraded Meziere pump - HELP!

I have an '07 S65 with the Eurocharged tune ("level 2"). I had the stock pump and dynoed 522 rwhp, 705 rwtq but the torque is really a tiny blip/spike and it lasts for 500 rpms and goes MUCH further down.

IATs get to 145-165F just crusing arouond after 5 minutes! This even happens in 20-30 degree weather. WTF.

So i had the pump (wasn't Johnson pump) swaped out for a Meziere. NO DIFFERENCE in IATs.

Car feels lame and weak and is dead even to 1 car behind a STOCK E55 (I know its stock).

Just got the car checked by MBenz and they said there was an issue with the thermostat and they replaced it. Car still feels ****ING LAME.

What would you do at this point? Car has very very low miles. thanks.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
Make sure that you are not over-boosting causing a limp mode from too much power....

A lot of MB V12 guys report that their tuned cars sometimes "Over-Boost" because the TCU/ECU cannot process all of the extra boost and power increase and the car working as it was designed and "protecting itself" from damaging the drivetrain (trans,axles etc) will often back the timing and boost down...

The car is fighting itself because the tuned ECU is telling the engine to make huge power but the other systems get overloaded and some V12s often will go into semi-limp mode... The car still drives but at minimal (60-70%) power

This seems to happen more in lower temps below 70 degrees when the air is very dense...

The tuners are aware of these problems with some V12s and often will modify your tune (custom tune)to boost less or boost at higher RPM...

Last edited by EXECMALIBU; 03-06-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by EXECMALIBU
A lot of MB V12 guys report that their tuned cars sometimes "Over-Boost" because the TCU/ECU cannot process all of the extra boost and power increase and the car working as it was designed and "protecting itself" from damaging the drivetrain (trans,axles etc) will often back the timing and boost down...

The car is fighting itself because the tuned ECU is telling the engine to make huge power but the other systems get overloaded and some V12s often will go into semi-limp mode... The car still drives but at minimal (60-70%) power

This seems to happen more in lower temps below 70 degrees when the air is very dense...

The tuners are aware of these problems with some V12s and often will modify your tune (custom tune)to boost less or boost at higher RPM...

Interesting, i will talk to Jerry as i have the Eurocharged tune. Thanks for this information, very helpful.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65, 427 COBRA (CSX-3127)73 911S, 246GTS (DINO SPYDER), CORNICHE,1962 PORSCHE TWIN GRILLE ROADSTER+
Try turning the car off then restarting this reboots the ECU...

My friend has a 2005 CL65 with a tune and when his car jolts and then has no power, he said that if he stops then turns the car off and just restarts the car everything is fine...

One of the well known tuners has reinstalled his tune 4 times each time lowering/moving the boost thus changing the power curve...

This helped a lot! Finally they got it to where he only has the jolting loss of power problems when the ambient temp is well below 70 and in very thick air...

try turning your car off/on and see if this helps..

Last edited by EXECMALIBU; 03-06-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
There is something wrong with your pump. I happen to own a Meziere pump. I was going to install it only to be heeded by a conversation i had with a mustang GT500 guy and one of the Dyno-Comp techs. I can't fully remember the conversation, but the conclusion from the mustang owner basically told me the pump is crap. The Dyno-Comp tech reiterated that as well. I'll have to ask him tomorrow why he think the Meziere pump isn't any good. I think he was saying something about getting the pump wet and crapping it out.

However I'll seen it a bunch of times, its the IC pump. Go back to the Johnson of even a stock pump. It should solve your problem.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:52 AM

18 Titan XD 13 Cayenne TT 13 BMW HP4
Could be the pump. Was the system bled properly. I had issues with the stock pump on mine and went to the Meziere which helped considerably. I have mine wired to be on with the key on - not sure if you're letting the ECU do it automatically for you or not (shouldn't make a difference, though).
Old 03-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by the head
Could be the pump. Was the system bled properly. I had issues with the stock pump on mine and went to the Meziere which helped considerably. I have mine wired to be on with the key on - not sure if you're letting the ECU do it automatically for you or not (shouldn't make a difference, though).
Very well could be that too.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
There is something wrong with your pump. I happen to own a Meziere pump. I was going to install it only to be heeded by a conversation i had with a mustang GT500 guy and one of the Dyno-Comp techs. I can't fully remember the conversation, but the conclusion from the mustang owner basically told me the pump is crap. The Dyno-Comp tech reiterated that as well. I'll have to ask him tomorrow why he think the Meziere pump isn't any good. I think he was saying something about getting the pump wet and crapping it out.

However I'll seen it a bunch of times, its the IC pump. Go back to the Johnson of even a stock pump. It should solve your problem.
I have a feeling that the Meziere pump isn't good. When Funktion auto did the install the first pump they installed was DOA. So we had to get a second and IATs didn't move. One of my road racing friends said that the throughput of that Meziere is so high there probably isn't time for the water too cool down through the circuit and that i would need to have a resivor.

I spent 1,200 ****ing dollars having it installed. I will do it again with the Johnson pump along with a larger Heat Exchanger but can anyone give me names of shops that don't charge and rape you? I got a quote that installing a HE would be $3K from Funktion auto. I have done ALL of my work there for the past 5 years but when the book time is like 4 hours and it ends up taking 14 I mean WTF.

thanks for your help!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Where are you located?
Not sure what the size of the heat exchanger is on your S65, but my SL65 has awesome cooling with the Meziere and no other mods. I can watch temps (Scan Gauage II) and they rarely top 120 or so degrees with the car moving over 20-30mph. At the dragstrip temps get into the 140s-150s at the very end of the run. When I had a dead pump, they would rise to about 190 and get hotter from there depending on boost.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by the head
Where are you located?
Not sure what the size of the heat exchanger is on your S65, but my SL65 has awesome cooling with the Meziere and no other mods. I can watchient to temps (Scan Gauage II) and they rarely top 120 or so degrees with the car moving over 20-30mph. At the dragstrip temps get into the 140s-150s at the very end of the run. When I had a dead pump, they would rise to about 190 and get hotter from there depending on boost.
I am in the DC area. With the old stock pump and with the new Meziere pump i would do 1 WOT run on the street and IAT temps would go from ambient to 140-160F. When i wouold cruise at 1.2K rpms the IATs would sit there indefinitely at 140F. When i go into WOT from 140F the IATs would DROP from 140F to 100F then within 15 seconds hit 140-160F. I have no idea what is going on. I am using a $300 OBDII scanner. This car is so ****ing slow.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
I just shipped my ECU back out to Jerry. Hopefully that will help. Will do data logging when i get it back with his larger heat exchanger too.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by e55 baller
I have a feeling that the Meziere pump isn't good. When Funktion auto did the install the first pump they installed was DOA. So we had to get a second and IATs didn't move. One of my road racing friends said that the throughput of that Meziere is so high there probably isn't time for the water too cool down through the circuit and that i would need to have a resivor.

I spent 1,200 ****ing dollars having it installed. I will do it again with the Johnson pump along with a larger Heat Exchanger but can anyone give me names of shops that don't charge and rape you? I got a quote that installing a HE would be $3K from Funktion auto. I have done ALL of my work there for the past 5 years but when the book time is like 4 hours and it ends up taking 14 I mean WTF.

thanks for your help!

Check out benz elite in alexandria, emile is pretty good and has very good pricing. Funktion auto is a rip off, I called them to lower my SL via star and they told me $700. Benz elite quoted me 110 for lowering and -10C mod
Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by e55 baller
I am in the DC area. With the old stock pump and with the new Meziere pump i would do 1 WOT run on the street and IAT temps would go from ambient to 140-160F. When i wouold cruise at 1.2K rpms the IATs would sit there indefinitely at 140F. When i go into WOT from 140F the IATs would DROP from 140F to 100F then within 15 seconds hit 140-160F. I have no idea what is going on. I am using a $300 OBDII scanner. This car is so ****ing slow.
Honestly those temps sound OK to me. Hopefully some of the other guys with more experience with these cars will chime in. I have a Eurocharged tune in my cayenne that I need a quick touch-up on as well (ping on less than great gas, I suppose). I don't want this to turn into a flame job for Jerry, I just need to get it looked at.