SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: special care for superchargers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
special care for superchargers?

is it necessary to let the supercharger cool down before you turn off the engine... this is our first kompressor, and I know for a turbo-charged car it is better to cool down the turbos before turning off the car. any other tips on taking care of the supercharger?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:21 AM

A turbocharger has a lot of hot gasses going through the turbine at one end of it, at least when the waste gate is closed. That heat travels down the shaft towards the compressor turbine, and that entire shaft is bathed in oil. (The shaft is supported totally by the oil bath; there are no bearings in there.) Shut down a hot turbocharged engine before it cools down, and you cook that oil, which will cut down on its lubricity and possibly coke up the shaft. Hence the instruction not to shut down a turbocharged car immediately after driving it hard. If you let the car idle for a few minutes (Lycomimg advises 4 minutes for its turbocharged aircraft engines) after it's driven hard, you give the turbocharger some time to cool down and the engine some time to pump cooler oil onto the shaft. By the way, the oil used to cool/lubricate a turbocharger comes out of (and goes back to) the engine oil sump, so if you screw up this oil, it's not just the turbocharger you're hurting.

None of that applies to a supercharger. It is powered by a belt or gears off the crankshaft, and no exhaust gasses get near it. So it doesn't get hot enough to coke its lubricating oil. It's still not a good idea to drive any car hard and then immediately shut it down, since there is a lot of residual heat buildup left in the block which can boil the coolant if left to its own devices, but the cool-down period for a supercharged engine is considerably shorter than for a turbocharged engine.

Last edited by White Knight II; 05-15-2003 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:28 PM

thanks for the info...
Old 05-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Bilal

White Knight, I drive a Mercedes A170 CDI. You may not know what one is, but it has a diesel engine, adn I think If I am not mistaken it has a turbocharger, since I am always doing the school run, and regularly doing short trips, how long should I wait in idle before shutting it off?
Old 05-15-2003, 10:47 PM

If you haven't driven a turbocharged car hard within the last five minutes before you park the car, I wouldn't worry about cooling down the engine. I'm guessing, but I would think that 3 to 5 minutes of idle or normal driving are required to cool down a turbocharger that has been spun up and worked hard for any significant amount of time.

As to whether your car is turbocharged, I don't know, but your owner's manual should make that clear immediately. If the engine specs say nothing about a turbocharger, maximum boost pressure (measured in BAR) or the name of the turbocharger builder (it's not M-B), your engine isn't turbocharged.

Also, you could look under the hood - a turbocharger is easy to spot if you've seen one before. If you haven't, it may just look like intake manifold plumbing. You might be able to find it by looking for a gizmo near the top of the engine at the rear of the engine compartment that would fit inside an 8 inch cube and that says "Garrett" or "Rootes" on it. The name is cast into one of the plenums, not stuck on a placard.

Last edited by White Knight II; 05-15-2003 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:16 AM
Bilal

Thank you so much for the information. Does this affect all turbo cars, because the Maybach/MB V12's have turbo's and so does Porsche?

Thanks again
Old 05-17-2003, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
WKII's exactly right. When you switch off the engine, the coolant stops circulating and you only have convection to cool it. The residual heat is what drives the residual heating function which can keep the interior of the car warm after you've left it.

In the early days of Porsche's turbos, they used to have a small electric pump that continued to pump coolant around the turbo to stop it cooking from the heat soak.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
originally posted by blueSL
In the early days of Porsche's turbos, they used to have a small electric pump that continued to pump coolant around the turbo to stop it cooking from the heat soak.

I am sure that MB thought about this when releasing the Bi-Turbo.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:15 PM

C32AMG
AS for cooling

the supercharger itself,the cool-down time is ZERO.If the blower is running hot enough to have cooling concerns,you've got other,more immediate problems.