SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: More Mods...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Mods...?

Getting the itch to spend some money on the car. Already have a few mods (see signature). Anyone have any thoughts on the RennTech CF Intake/TB combo (~$7000) vs. the RennTech IC Pump (~$1800) or the RennTech IC Pump Upgrade Kit (~$4000) vs. RennTech Package Plus (~$7800).

i realize they these are are somewhat different in nature, but i lookng for reasonable bang for the buck and car must remain fully streetable.

Also, I live in FL - so it is generally HOT A LOT

Oh and my local dealer supports RennTech so to everyone that has an alternate preferred mod-source - I appreaciate the insight, but need to stay on good terms with dealer...

Last edited by SRQLAW; 04-10-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-10-2011, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I think you are fine where you are. You could add a custom tune that will really dial in the set up for your headers and pulley.

At this point, more power generates allot more heat, which robs power, stresses more components, etc, which requires more cooling. Its all a matter of money. If you are talking 'bang for the buck', you are already there
Old 04-10-2011, 03:11 PM

Having a hard time with the thought of $8k for the plus pcakage. The i/c pump or i/c pump kit seem like they may be of some use... or not.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Anyone else have any thoughts on the i/c pump i/c pump kit?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by SRQLAW
Anyone else have any thoughts on the i/c pump i/c pump kit?
Does the I/C pump kit include the HE? You are going to need additional cooling at some point. The problem is, you most likely won't notice any performance increase other than under back to back runs. Then it will be no noticeable drop off in power.

I did package plus as my first round of mods so got the additional cooling up front along with a pulley and tune.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:35 AM

the i/c kit (at least per the photo) has the additional heat exchanger which i guess gets intalled someone up front as well.

Sounds like unless I go with the package plus there is really little to be gained.

At one point my parts guy told me he could get me the kit for $6K which sounded good, but he is off to greener pastures at the local Lexus dealer...
Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by SRQLAW
the i/c kit (at least per the photo) has the additional heat exchanger which i guess gets intalled someone up front as well.

Sounds like unless I go with the package plus there is really little to be gained.

At one point my parts guy told me he could get me the kit for $6K which sounded good, but he is off to greener pastures at the local Lexus dealer...
What size pulley did RT install for you? I ask because they call the pulley in the package plus "extra large" pulley. I think it is about 178mm. slightly smaller than the 180 mm a lot of guys run. RT believes anything larger and the gains are offset by too much heat. I will tell you the larger pulley does have some minor drivability issues. Under certain circumstances there is a bit of a jerk when the SC engages. I sort of like it. It is as if "warp speed" is now online.

Unless you are going to the track or doing back to back runs, I don't think you will feel you got good value out of the extra $6,000. You should look into their Toe link kit.

Here is a photo of my car. You can see the RT HE in the center grill area. I have had many ricer guys see it and ask me if I was running turbos

Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 AM

So... any point in upgrading the IC Pump and/or going with the IC Pump kit (which I guess has its own intercooler?)???