SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Ramps or jack stands?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Ramps or jack stands?

Now that my wonderful Chrysler extended warranty is finally expired, I plan to start doing a fair bit of work on my SL myself. I used to have some nice jack stands and a floor jack, but the wife made me part with them a few moves back. Storage room in the garage is limited so I have been looking at these.

They are 12,000 GVW.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with these.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Cal, if you're lowered and/or have a front lip, you'll never be able to drive up on those. You can jack the car up and place them under the wheels, but at that point, might as well just have stands. There are some Low-pro race ramps available, but I think they're a bit pricey, last I checked.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
you need to buy 2 floor jacks, and you can jack the whole front or rear of the car. the ramps are dangerous and you cant do any real mechanical work with them
Old 04-30-2014, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Cal, if you're lowered and/or have a front lip, you'll never be able to drive up on those. You can jack the car up and place them under the wheels, but at that point, might as well just have stands. There are some Low-pro race ramps available, but I think they're a bit pricey, last I checked.
Thanks Benz-O. I am lowered with ELM, but no lip. I always figured I would tell the wife to be very careful of the lip and then I would be the dumb **** that would tear it up.The potential embarrassment has stopped me from buying one. I was thinking I could turn off the ELM and raise to max height, but doesn't sound like a good way to go.

Originally Posted by okbarnett
you need to buy 2 floor jacks, and you can jack the whole front or rear of the car. the ramps are dangerous and you cant do any real mechanical work with them
How about one floor jack plus jack stands. I am assuming there is a lift point where a single floor jack can raise the whole front like the front cross member so I can then place jack stands on either side at the hockey puck like lift points. Can anyone confirm?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
single lift block in the front, rear diff in the back.

Ramps are safer than jackstands, but if you are careful with either, you should be fine. I prefer ramps if I don't need the car up very high.

If you are lowered, you will need a long long profile jack, so its no picnic either way.

I use both, which is ideal (save for a lift)
Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Safety first

So you decided to keep it? Good choice my friend

My way to go ..... home made .... height adjustable ...... for every day maybe don't look prof. but do the job just fine )) good feeling when laying under the car ......

Next pic. for larger work underneath ......
Attached Thumbnails Ramps or jack stands?-dscn1086.jpg   Ramps or jack stands?-imgp1128.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Unless all you ever intend to do are oil changes, ramps are (near) useless.

Can't do brakes! Can't do axles or even pull a wheel for access from the side.

Really they are just useless.

1 or 2 jacks and 2 or 4 stands. no real debate IMO.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Have you considered scissor lifts?

Not sure how much you would be prepared to spend, but I've been looking for a lift for my garage and came across these. I wouldn't have known this type existed if I hadn't been searching for a full size lift.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift

This is just one option, there are plenty more at various price points if you look around. I've seen some that are quite compact, but also heavy duty/safe at the same time. I'm building a garage to accommodate a full size lift, but if I was space limited I would definitely go for something like this over ramps or multiple jacks.

James
Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
single lift block in the front, rear diff in the back.

Ramps are safer than jackstands, but if you are careful with either, you should be fine. I prefer ramps if I don't need the car up very high.

If you are lowered, you will need a long long profile jack, so its no picnic either way.

I use both, which is ideal (save for a lift)
thanks for the input. I need to get my tubby **** under the car just enough to see how long the low profile jack will need to be. I always liked the extra safety of having the car up on jack stands plus leaving the floor jack in place for that added safety.

Originally Posted by amok55amg
So you decided to keep it? Good choice my friend

My way to go ..... home made .... height adjustable ...... for every day maybe don't look prof. but do the job just fine )) good feeling when laying under the car ......

Next pic. for larger work underneath ......
Nice set up Klaus. You are a creative guy. I don't have a welder laying around, but I could have my guys at the shop in Indianapolis build me a set, and then run them through the powder coat line so they look pretty.

Regarding keeping the car, the wifey says I am as predicable as hell. I talk about selling the SL every winter when I can't drive it and call it a POS just waiting to break something new. Then, the first time I drive it when the weather turns I tell wifey I am keeping the SL forever.

Originally Posted by nycphotography
Unless all you ever intend to do are oil changes, ramps are (near) useless.

Can't do brakes! Can't do axles or even pull a wheel for access from the side.

Really they are just useless.

1 or 2 jacks and 2 or 4 stands. no real debate IMO.
I don't plan on pulling the engine or major overhauls, but do hope to handle most of the repairs that will be needed. I suspect I will be sending lots of emails to Klaus (amok55amg) and posting questions on the boards. The last car I did any serious work on was my 65 El Camino. Not much under the hood but an engine. None of this newfangled crap like in the SL.

Originally Posted by mcguirja
Not sure how much you would be prepared to spend, but I've been looking for a lift for my garage and came across these. I wouldn't have known this type existed if I hadn't been searching for a full size lift.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Scissor-Lift

This is just one option, there are plenty more at various price points if you look around. I've seen some that are quite compact, but also heavy duty/safe at the same time. I'm building a garage to accommodate a full size lift, but if I was space limited I would definitely go for something like this over ramps or multiple jacks.

James
Thanks James. That lift looks like a nice set up. Something to consider for the future. My wife is convinced i will go back to doing my own work on the cars for a while and then get tired of it and take them to an independent shop. She might be right. We shall see. If I stick with it, I will definitely look into the lift.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

if you watch sears or napa or harbor freight or other auto parts stores you can find a 3 ton floor jacks and 2 jack stands for about $100, I bought 2 of them
Old 04-30-2014, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
if you watch sears or napa or harbor freight or other auto parts stores you can find a 3 ton floor jacks and 2 jack stands for about $100, I bought 2 of them
So you just use two standard floor jacks and lift from both sides instead of using a long low profile, expensive floor jack to lift the center front or back end? Makes sense.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes i put one on one side at rubber lift and one on other side. Heres the drill:
Attached Thumbnails Ramps or jack stands?-hpim5907.jpg   Ramps or jack stands?-hpim5904.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
yes i put one on one side at rubber lift and one on other side. Heres the drill:
Great idea, thanks. I like the idea of placing the block in the lift for added safety.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
fwiw, the atlas scissor lift has not even a prayer of lifting my s500. Its not long or wide enough.