SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: AMG55 Scattershield for Supercharger pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
AMG55 Scattershield for Supercharger pulley

Since supercharger pulley catastrophic failure is becoming more common and the damage this causes can be fairly extensive, I was asked to make extras of a scattershield I was making for my SL55 to protect the surrounding components. In my own case, on my SL55, I discovered the (oem) pulley was broken right before it came apart (one of the 3 springs securing the pulley was broken, another was cracked). Others have been less lucky https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ed-my-car.html with their pulleys damaging surrounding components including oil cooler lines, hoses, thermostat housing, and anything else nearby (one member on another forum got a dent in his hood when his supercharger pulley failed) . This is all covered in greater detail in the first post of the thread linked below.

As it happens, there was a lot of interest on the E55 forum where all of the Shields I was making were signed up for even before they were done. So, I am going to make another batch and wanted to let folks on the SL55 forum know about it (since I am an SL55 er after-all )

Below is a link to the post in the scattershield thread where I show pics of the production version of the shield. I priced this All Stainless Steel laser-cut machine-rolled piece very inexpensively so anyone could benefit from the protection it provides. The intro price of $95 goes away at the end of this coming Monday. Anyone who expresses interest (without obligation to actually buy) can get added to the list to have the option to get one at that price. After Monday, the price will be $105 (still very inexpensive).

It fits under the factory engine cover and is easily installed in less than 15 minutes (more like 4) with the tools shown in the pic below

Here is the link.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6335740

Again, ask to be added to the list if you think you MIGHT want one. Then you will be given the opportunity to buy one when the next batch is available (should be 4 weeks or less). Get added by the end of Monday and get the extra special price (as this helps me to decide the next batch size).

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails AMG55 Scattershield for Supercharger pulley-20150218_170907.jpg   AMG55 Scattershield for Supercharger pulley-20150218_172705.jpg  
Old 02-21-2015, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Nice work
Old 02-21-2015, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Just wanted to throw out that IMO anyone with the 55K engine should find the scattershield as some damn cheap insurance. i run the stock SC pulley and a 178 counter. I already purchased a scattershield for my SL. After personally experiencing a simple serpentine belt dynamite that took out some components, it became abundantly clear to me that our engines are susceptible to belt failure and even worse, SC pulley failure. There are just too many damn components left vulnerable when a rotating mass fails catastrophically. Personally, a belt wrap and a scattershield combine for some damn cheap insurance on an expensive motor.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 SL55. Wife drives '06 SL500 and Range Rover Evoque
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Since supercharger pulley catastrophic failure is becoming more common and the damage this causes can be fairly extensive, I was asked to make extras of a scattershield I was making for my SL55 to protect the surrounding components. In my own case, on my SL55, I discovered the (oem) pulley was broken right before it came apart (one of the 3 springs securing the pulley was broken, another was cracked). Others have been less lucky https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ed-my-car.html with their pulleys damaging surrounding components including oil cooler lines, hoses, thermostat housing, and anything else nearby (one member on another forum got a dent in his hood when his supercharger pulley failed) . This is all covered in greater detail in the first post of the thread linked below.

As it happens, there was a lot of interest on the E55 forum where all of the Shields I was making were signed up for even before they were done. So, I am going to make another batch and wanted to let folks on the SL55 forum know about it (since I am an SL55 er after-all )

Below is a link to the post in the scattershield thread where I show pics of the production version of the shield. I priced this All Stainless Steel laser-cut machine-rolled piece very inexpensively so anyone could benefit from the protection it provides. The intro price of $95 goes away at the end of this coming Monday. Anyone who expresses interest (without obligation to actually buy) can get added to the list to have the option to get one at that price. After Monday, the price will be $105 (still very inexpensive).

It fits under the factory engine cover and is easily installed in less than 15 minutes (more like 4) with the tools shown in the pic below

Here is the link.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6335740

Again, ask to be added to the list if you think you MIGHT want one. Then you will be given the opportunity to buy one when the next batch is available (should be 4 weeks or less). Get added by the end of Monday and get the extra special price (as this helps me to decide the next batch size).

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris-
Just stumbled across this. Looks like it would do the job. Can I order one if it's back in stock?
Also, I noticed your custom coolant can bracket and I like :-) Is this something you made? Appreciate the details on this (ie...I want one)

Thanks,
Ray
Old 07-19-2016, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by CHP_H8_ME
Hi Chris-
Just stumbled across this. Looks like it would do the job. Can I order one if it's back in stock?
Also, I noticed your custom coolant can bracket and I like :-) Is this something you made? Appreciate the details on this (ie...I want one)

Thanks,
Ray
Hi Ray,
I do have the latest version of the M113k scattershield in stock. They are $110 plus $7 for shipping.

The coolant can bracket I made by re-tasking (re-rolling inside-out and then massaging to fit) a mock-up for another one of my products (the original M112k V6 scattershield). I may have more of that pre-cut material around that I can send your way for that (I'll have to look around the shop), or at the least, I can send you some detailed picks of it so you can make your own. (I'll add a couple of pics to this post).

If you want to send me a PM with your email and/or your phone number, we can discuss that further.

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails AMG55 Scattershield for Supercharger pulley-20150119_174143.jpg   AMG55 Scattershield for Supercharger pulley-20141129_115055.jpg  
Old 07-19-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 SL55. Wife drives '06 SL500 and Range Rover Evoque
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Hi Ray,
I do have the latest version of the M113k scattershield in stock. They are $110 plus $7 for shipping.

The coolant can bracket I made by re-tasking (re-rolling inside-out and then massaging to fit) a mock-up for another one of my products (the original M112k V6 scattershield). I may have more of that pre-cut material around that I can send your way for that (I'll have to look around the shop), or at the least, I can send you some detailed picks of it so you can make your own. (I'll add a couple of pics to this post).

If you want to send me a PM with your email and/or your phone number, we can discuss that further.

Cheers,
Chris
Will do Chris, and thank you.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2005 E500 4matic wagon, 2006 AMG E55, 2009 Smart Fortwo
I know I'm digging an older thread up, but I recently bought an E55 and am in the market for a scatter shield. Are there any currently available?
Old 10-27-2018, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 971 Likes on 755 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell
I know I'm digging an older thread up, but I recently bought an E55 and am in the market for a scatter shield. Are there any currently available?
Just PM Latemodel21 for info. Numerous folks in the W211 AMG sub-forum have the scatter shields. They work.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
2007 SL55
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Just PM Latemodel21 for info. Numerous folks in the W211 AMG sub-forum have the scatter shields. They work.
A must have for peace of mind. Great product, well thought out design. The stock cover even works with this kit. Latemodel21 is always proficient in helping others.

Last edited by Nor Cal SL55; 10-28-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2005 E500 4matic wagon, 2006 AMG E55, 2009 Smart Fortwo
I sent a message, thanks for the comments gentlemen.