SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 77 / 76 mm pulley and tune selection recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
77 / 76 mm pulley and tune selection recommendations

Hi, thanks for taking the time to provide your input.

Might be silly, but I’d like to increase my whp to match my traction capability (I still have some room).

I’m seeking recommendations for a smaller SC pulley (I’m thinking 76, or 77 mm).

I live less than two hours from Eurocharged Orlando, so that might be a good place to go for a tune and some dyno pulls.

I’ve also looked at the VRP 76 mm with tune, UPD (on eBay) has a pulley, and Eurocharged sells a 77 mm.

For cooling, I’m splitting the system, installing a KC (with 1-2 gal capacity), and installing a bypass for the stock heat exchanger. I’m also installing/verifying that I have a 010 IC pump.

I’m installing one step cooler plugs (and new wires, for fun).

Hard to fully rationalize all of this just to shave a second, or two, off a pull from 20-80, but it is a hobby and while my tire life will shorten, I don’t think I’m hurting the dive train, or highway driving range.

I can always install K&Ns later if I want to go all out ;-)

Last edited by hcvdg; 02-02-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:43 PM

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
2007 SL55
Eurocharged In Orlando sounds like your best bet. Get the 77 mm pulley from UPD or Eurocharged.

Determine your goals first (sounds like you have done this) because changing various components will cause you to retune. There are many routes you can go once you get the bug...
Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM

SL55
Thanks, if the quality of the pulleys are the same, I’ll save the $200 and get the UPD.

The VRP pulley is an rch smaller, but they rubbed me the wrong way when the refused to give me the part number for their one step colder plugs - so I bought them elsewhere and saved $50.

My goal is to generate as much whp as my current tires will handle. I also want to cool my IC fluid enough to keep my IAT low enough to prevent performance (timing etc.) being reduced (during my normal use).

I don’t know who has the “best tune”.

Be nice to have the speed limiter removed (or jacked up) but I hear that AMG is required to remove the speed limit.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:23 AM

SL55
I also found a 77mm DTK pulley (made in Germany) any thoughts on the quality of DTK pulleys?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
DTK makes quality parts as do most of the MFG out there for this car.

Personally, you got Eurocharged not to far from you. I'd just stick with utilizing their tune and have them tweak it to your car. If you got some extra cash have them install their headers on your car to really maximize everything your doing.

You can safely install all your cooling stuff yourself. Throwing a pulley on and taking it easy as you get to Eurocharged is fine also. Just don't push the car before the tune is on a sorted out. I'd also highly recommend a belt wrap kit to gain the most out of your pulley.

Also don't be afraid to contact some of these vendors and say if you buy this, this, and that what kind of deal can you give me. Many times they run specials right through here on tunes and even pulleys.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 PM

SL55
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I agree I think installing the parts myself and cruising to Eurocharged for the tune is the way to go.

I’ll first split the cooling system and confirm/install a 010 pump.

I have the “toque” app (might be a better one out there) and I got a UDB Bluetooth (that turns itself off).

I’ll first install the cooling mods (KC etc.) then install the pulley.

The DTK is on sale for $400, so I’ll probable get that one (I think Eurocharged sells the UPD pulley).

I’m not sure if I’ll get a 76, or 77 mm (probably get the 77 as that is what Eurocharged sells).

I still need to think through the IC cooling system.

I would think that the IC discharge temp would be always higher than ambient. If so, if would cool if passed through the factory heat exchanger prior to the KC.

I’d like to have a reservoir of cold IC fluid to use for a pull or two and avoid mixing with the hot discharge fluid. I haven’t thought this all through.

The A/C (and therefore the KC) shut down at WOT. I’d like to have a gallon, or so, of cold fluid to feed the IC.

I had thought that the “BMW” split cooling res could be used for capacity, but I guess it is only good for a filling port (as the input output fittings are small).

Fun times.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:39 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Send us a PM!

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 S550
Change The Heat exchanger! The stock one is the size of a clip board and located between the condenser and radiator.
In stock spec it causes too much intake heat and with your mods it will make it worse.

Put a VRP unit on and the temp coming out of the S/C was 50 degrees cooler. Split cooling won't be enough.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 55 AMG, BMW M Roadster, Holden Commodore SSV
Unless you have an 07 or 08 your stock cooling pump must go. Perhaps getting a larger capacity Johnson pump is a better, less complicated option than what you're planning?
Not sure why you can't get the speed limiter removed, it seems to be a part of most tunes offered out there. I believe Eurocharged offers it too.