SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Winter Storage: To Lift or Not Lift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 02:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Winter Storage: To Lift or Not Lift?

Hi folks. Thought I’d gauge best practices from those most knowledgeable here. How do you store your car? Obviously, a battery maintainer on at least the consumer battery is a given. What do you do about your suspension?
Old 09-02-2020, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Both batteries on a tender, fuel stabilizer (if not started for a few months) and an odor/moisture absorbent (something like
this this
) in the interior.

To my understanding, we have some leeway with regard to which height setting we can leave the ABC suspension on. Ideally, you'd want to start it once a month and cycle the suspension a few times to circulate the fluids.

The following users liked this post:
poppyboy (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020, 12:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by HLG600
Both batteries on a tender, fuel stabilizer (if not started for a few months) and an odor/moisture absorbent (something like this) in the interior.

To my understanding, we have some leeway with regard to which height setting we can leave the ABC suspension on. Ideally, you'd want to start it once a month and cycle the suspension a few times to circulate the fluids.
agree with this.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
I just put a battery tender on my acess. battery and I start the car once every two to three weeks and cycle through the ABC settings a few times. If the roads are clear I'll run it around for about 15 to 20 mins.

Do this a few times and the winter is more or less over.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230 SL500; previously 280CE and 180E.
Mercedes recommends ensuring the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position for storage in case the suspension drops significantly; this is a preventative measure to prevent fender damage.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't drive my SL65 in the winter however I start it at least once / month and raise & lower suspension numerous times to hopefully keep the seals from drying out completely.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55
Storage

Have done the following for many years with good luck on an SL55 and other vehicles stored in a garage. Has eliminated the lifting procedure:
- Inflate tires to 50 PSI. Picked this idea up from one of the BMW forums. I do it on all of my stored vehicles and it has eliminated flat spotting.
- Maintainers on both batteries. I have permanent pigtails with quick connects on both batteries. Comes in handy to keep the consumer battery charged when vehicle sits for a few weeks in summer, also. I have noticed that when the consumer battery is on it's own maintainer by itself (no maintainer on starter battery), the starter battery also charges. But, when starter battery is on it's own maintainer by itself (no maintainer on the consumer battery), the consumer battery does not charge.
- Dustop car cover with windows all the way open.
- A couple of geolite bags and container of gel bead air freshener in the interior.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55
Storage

Have done the following for many years with good luck on an SL55 and other vehicles stored in a garage. Has eliminated the lifting procedure:
- Inflate tires to 50 PSI. Picked this idea up from one of the BMW forums. I do it on all of my stored vehicles and it has eliminated flat spotting.
- Maintainers on both batteries. I have permanent pigtails with quick connects on both batteries. Comes in handy to keep the consumer battery charged when vehicle sits for a few weeks in summer, also. I have noticed that when the consumer battery is on it's own maintainer by itself (no maintainer on starter battery), the starter battery also charges. But, when starter battery is on it's own maintainer by itself (no maintainer on the consumer battery), the consumer battery does not charge.
- Dustop car cover with windows all the way open.
- A couple of geolite bags and container of gel bead air freshener in the interior.
- Sea Foam in the tank.
The following users liked this post:
poppyboy (09-10-2020)