SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 Top Speed 215mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
SL65 Top Speed 215mph

AMS of Germany have tested a deresstricted stock SL65 at Nardo in their latest issue and have achieved a true 215mph.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
That is beautiful!! But expected...if my derestricted SL55 does 202-203, the 65 should do 215.

That makes the SLR even more reduntant....and the 65 a bargin...as I think that most tests show the SLR topping out at 208. You think they would have planned it so their top car would be the king......oh well!
Old 10-25-2004, 02:01 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Yes, but the SLR will be glued to the road whereas the SL will be approaching takeoff speed.

Downforce is very important for any powerful car. Sorry to say Mercedes-AMG products are not very good in that area. True, some of their bodykits and rear spoilers ala CLK55/SLK55/CLS55/C55 provide no lift, but downforce is another story.

215mph, I think thats more bragging rights than anything else. But what a car to brag about
Old 10-25-2004, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by Bilal
Yes, but the SLR will be glued to the road whereas the SL will be approaching takeoff speed.

Downforce is very important for any powerful car. Sorry to say Mercedes-AMG products are not very good in that area. True, some of their bodykits and rear spoilers ala CLK55/SLK55/CLS55/C55 provide no lift, but downforce is another story.

215mph, I think thats more bragging rights than anything else. But what a car to brag about
Well said....but....

All of my Ferrari's (save the F40, and the Indycar of course) have felt very unstable above 170mph. When I have driven the SL55 above those speeds and even to terminal velocity it was absolutely planted. It didn't feel like it was lifting at all. I think Merc has done a great job with the SL.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
The "downforce" topic is very interesting. I was just thinking of this the other day. Since my Renntech upgrade has raised my limiter to 187 mph I was wondering (while doing 135) if the car could even approach top speed without taking off!
Old 10-25-2004, 05:30 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
I think Mercedes has done a very good job with making the SL achieve high speeds (aerodynamics) without producing lift at those speeds. But downforce is another story altogether. The reason Porsche/Ferrari and other super high performance cars feel unstable is because firstly their suspension settings are rock hard. The cars hardly weigh anything (1000-1500kgs) coupled with a very aggressive spoiler, you're being forced onto the road, making you feel everything, every little bump, but most importantly keeping you glued to the road. Very important at negotiating twists and turns at high speeds.

Mercedes cars will give you that feel of stability but don't forget that at higher speeds its a false sense of stability. Hence, its easier to drive fast because you think you're in complete control, but in reality you're not. That isn't to say that Mercedes cars will flip out of control at high speeds, on the contrary, Mercedes does a lot of high speed research, but to be glued to the road and negotiate high speed turns with invincibility and then shakeoff that speed with fade free brakes, thats something only the SLR can do.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:37 PM
mlg

06 C350 sport 6MT
215 mph

i neeeeeed name and phoptos of the tires/////// i heard that tires did not exist to car 2 tons at that speed ie over 200mph impresssssive.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bilal
I think Mercedes has done a very good job with making the SL achieve high speeds (aerodynamics) without producing lift at those speeds. But downforce is another story altogether. The reason Porsche/Ferrari and other super high performance cars feel unstable is because firstly their suspension settings are rock hard. The cars hardly weigh anything (1000-1500kgs) coupled with a very aggressive spoiler, you're being forced onto the road, making you feel everything, every little bump, but most importantly keeping you glued to the road. Very important at negotiating twists and turns at high speeds.

Mercedes cars will give you that feel of stability but don't forget that at higher speeds its a false sense of stability. Hence, its easier to drive fast because you think you're in complete control, but in reality you're not. That isn't to say that Mercedes cars will flip out of control at high speeds, on the contrary, Mercedes does a lot of high speed research, but to be glued to the road and negotiate high speed turns with invincibility and then shakeoff that speed with fade free brakes, thats something only the SLR can do.
Like I stated earlier, and this is from experience....some of my Ferrari's have felt unstable at speed. I don't believe it is from the suspension effects as you state...after all my Indycar is seriosly stiff and actually makes downforce and feels planted. I am pretty sure that I know what downforce feels like. The TR and 348 actually feel like they are lifting at speed (over 165-170 you can turn the steering wheel with no effect). The F40 feels pretty stable. High speed instability does not happen in my SL. I don't know about the aero work that they have done....I can just tell you how it feels as a driver. As far as Merc's high speed research goes.....remember Le Mans a few years ago when they had a couple of cars lift off and go into the woods! I hope they haven't transfered that technology to the SL!

As far as brakes go ....the SL55 's are great...I've tracked the car and have never experienced fade. Neither have I with the F40 or the 348....the TR is another story.....3-4 laps and the brakes are going away.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mlg
i neeeeeed name and phoptos of the tires/////// i heard that tires did not exist to car 2 tons at that speed ie over 200mph impresssssive.
Yes they do!! When I derestricted the car that was a serious concern as I didn't want to have a failure at that kind of speed. The company that did the work told me that unless I was planning on 'cruising' at those speeds, in the real world the stock tires would be fine.

None the less I switched to AMG 19" wheels and worked with a tire company to search out the right rubber. Those turned out to be Michelin Pilot Sports. I was told that there is weight ratings in parentheses on tires. We just went with the latest...heaviest rated tires. At speed (180-203) they were just fine. I kept the tire pressure monitor screen up and the tire's pressures only raised 1-2 pounds all around at these elevated speeds....so it was a non event.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:27 PM

W211 E55AMG
Ingenere, i would LOVE to see some pictures about your Ferraris. Im very bad Ferrari fan but i have no chance to get any..ive driven F355 Spider and that was my most exotic experience on the road. My E55 is NOTHING if we are talking feelings compared to F355 Spider.

Thanks,
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Finnish C32
Ingenere, i would LOVE to see some pictures about your Ferraris. Im very bad Ferrari fan but i have no chance to get any..ive driven F355 Spider and that was my most exotic experience on the road. My E55 is NOTHING if we are talking feelings compared to F355 Spider.

Thanks,

I would be happy to post some of my cars but I have tried to post pics on this site with no success. If you send me your email I will be happy to send you some shots.