SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Any one know this vehicle; SL style ZLM badged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one know this vehicle; SL style ZLM badged

Had an encounter this afternoon with a very unique SL that I have no idea what model it was or any background on it other than what the driver told me as I got beside him at a redlight and spoke with him for maybe 30 seconds.

The car was a SL style roadster, with the Kompressor badging on the front fenders, massively oversized wheels and tires, especially the rear tires. It was painted a very odd shade of dark yellow/orange, I'd call it a dark mustard yellow. The only other badging on the car was the AMG logo on the right side of the trunklid and a factory font style emblem on the left side of the trunklid that read "ZLM". It had the SL55 etc. style dual/dual exhaust and had an uncharacteristically loud rumble of an exhaust note. Only other thing I recall for sure was the vanity plate read "PRDCER".

The man driving the car said (I wasn't writing this down at the time so it may be slightly inaccurate) that it was an AMG produced promotional vehicle and was a one-off. He said he was in the "entertainment industry" and that his name was Michael Blakely/Bakely (?). He said the car had a 7.2L engine, I believe he said it was supercharged and that it was rated at 740+ HP and 1,000+ TRQ, he said it ran a 3.3 second 0-60.

I was driving a 02' SL500 Silver Arrow and didn't have any intentions of racing him when the light turned green, he didn't either, but I hollered over to him to punch it and he took off like a rocket. I know the the old 5.0 SL isn't exactly a speed machine but I know that as quick as he pulled away from my SL500 that it was a bad *** machine. It did have an incredibly aggressive exhaust tone but I didn't hear any supercharger whine or turbo blowoff.

I'm fairly up on the SL AMG's and have never heard of this particular car, or the drivetrain, didn't know if any one else has either, if this truly is a one of a kind car.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:04 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by DamageInc
Had an encounter this afternoon with a very unique SL that I have no idea what model it was or any background on it other than what the driver told me as I got beside him at a redlight and spoke with him for maybe 30 seconds.

The car was a SL style roadster, with the Kompressor badging on the front fenders, massively oversized wheels and tires, especially the rear tires. It was painted a very odd shade of dark yellow/orange, I'd call it a dark mustard yellow. The only other badging on the car was the AMG logo on the right side of the trunklid and a factory font style emblem on the left side of the trunklid that read "ZLM". It had the SL55 etc. style dual/dual exhaust and had an uncharacteristically loud rumble of an exhaust note. Only other thing I recall for sure was the vanity plate read "PRDCER".

The man driving the car said (I wasn't writing this down at the time so it may be slightly inaccurate) that it was an AMG produced promotional vehicle and was a one-off. He said he was in the "entertainment industry" and that his name was Michael Blakely/Bakely (?). He said the car had a 7.2L engine, I believe he said it was supercharged and that it was rated at 740+ HP and 1,000+ TRQ, he said it ran a 3.3 second 0-60.

I was driving a 02' SL500 Silver Arrow and didn't have any intentions of racing him when the light turned green, he didn't either, but I hollered over to him to punch it and he took off like a rocket. I know the the old 5.0 SL isn't exactly a speed machine but I know that as quick as he pulled away from my SL500 that it was a bad *** machine. It did have an incredibly aggressive exhaust tone but I didn't hear any supercharger whine or turbo blowoff.

I'm fairly up on the SL AMG's and have never heard of this particular car, or the drivetrain, didn't know if any one else has either, if this truly is a one of a kind car.
Los Angeles?

~ Ian
Old 12-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think he's lying.
AMG made a 7.3L engine.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:16 AM

This was in Florida, Pinellas County, Palm Harbor
Old 01-03-2005, 01:30 AM

2002 MB E55 AMG
Here's a link (re: Pagani Zonda) that contains a reference to the "MBenz 1995 SL 7.3 AMG - http://www.supercars.net/cars/2002@$Pagani@$Zonda%20C12-Sx.html

My folks live in Palm Harbor ... I KNOW it wasn't them!

TJC
Old 01-03-2005, 09:38 PM

i have a small video clip of an SL. its named mercedes SL 7.3 burnout. but its a silver color not yellow/orange.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lov2xlr8
i have a small video clip of an SL. its named mercedes SL 7.3 burnout. but its a silver color not yellow/orange.

Would you mind posting the video clip?
Also, will you please post a picture of your S55, I would like to see those wheels. ...I need ideas.

-thanks!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by SSpray
Would you mind posting the video clip?
Also, will you please post a picture of your S55, I would like to see those wheels. ...I need ideas.

-thanks!
i dont think you can tell what the car is exactly from the video, but i dont nkow of any host sites that hosts videos.

about the rims. i dont have any pics on my computer of my S55 rims, but ill try to get some posted. BTW those rims are damn expensive. like $1800+ per rim and tire(TOYO). i got them with the car b/c the guy that owned it before put them on and never took them off. it had 1600/miles on it and for about $100,000. i think its a good deal.

Last edited by Lov2xlr8; 01-04-2005 at 01:21 PM.