SLK/R170: Windblocker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SLK 320
Windblocker

Hi folks,
New to the forum and new owner of a '02 SLK 320. Love the car but discovered during first highway drive with the top down, that small back windows do not go up and wind gusts from the rear sides. Unfortunately the windblockers for the SLK do not extend the entire width of the vehicle, they only entend from seat to seat. I used to drive a miata and bought an after-market windblocker which went the entire width of the car and driving even in 40 degree weather, was comfortable. Was recently in showroom and looked at newer models of the SLK and see the rear windows do go up with the top down now. Perhaps this was a complaint that MB addressed.

Someone told me there may be a switch "somewhere" to turn this on or off. Does anyone know of such a thing? I have looked at after-market windblockers and none extend the width of the car.

Sorry for the long "winded" note!

WebGab
Old 11-29-2005, 08:29 PM

'99 SLK 230
There is no such switch.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Go here for windscreen. http://www.formymercedes.com/windscreens.asp
Old 11-30-2005, 04:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I turn my coat collar up, my wife wears a scarf.

Great ride

Bazzle
Old 11-30-2005, 03:02 PM

2002 SLK 320
Tigger-Already checked out those windscreens-not what I'm looking for. Those too, only go from seat to seat. This leaves a huge gap coming from the side rear on either side of the car. Almost makes the stock blocker useless IMO.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by WebGab
Tigger-Already checked out those windscreens-not what I'm looking for. Those too, only go from seat to seat. This leaves a huge gap coming from the side rear on either side of the car. Almost makes the stock blocker useless IMO.
I installed the WSA-3000 today. Drove around in 42-degree weather. I was real impressed that I no longer get wind whip anymore at 80 mph. I was worried that the WSA-3000 would not give you enough wind whip protection like the WSA-2000. The WSA-3000 only covers the middle between the inner roll bars. The WSA-2000 covers the area between both outer roll bars. I discovered that the headrest would block out most of the air that goes through the roll bar.

I do not have problems with any wind on the side as long as I have my windows up. But I did notice a little air flow under my headrest gap. You just only feel the cold air under the headrest. If it were warmer you would not noticed the cold air or any air flow. The WSA-2000 would block the cold air under the headrest because it covers the headrest.

So I am going to put a wool strap under the headrest to block out the cold air. The WSA-3000 did a great job protecting me from wind whip, but when I stopped at a light, I could really feel the cold air. Since I only had a sweatshirt own, I put up the top.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL500 and A-CLASS
Originally Posted by WebGab

Today was a wet cold and I did feel the cold air on the sides.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
I just installed the small one between the roll bars and it is enough to block the wind and keep the heat and the sound of the stereo in the cab. Works best when the side windows are up.