SLK/R170: Help Needed for 1997 SLK200 R170

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hyundai - Huge & Muscular Santa Fe
Help Needed for 1997 SLK200 R170

Hi all,

I am about to acquire a 1997 SLK 200 R170. However before proceeding to the acquisition I have several concerns which I hope can be answered with your assistance. Please help me if you have the answers. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

1. The Mileage for this car is only 48,000km. This is considered LOW in Singapore as most cars will clock at least 25,000km/year. Can the Digital Odometer reading be easily adjusted by someone?

2. Do you guys experience alot of problems in the leaking roof?

3. Do you have problems closing and opening the roof, such as faulty switch, etc.?

4. A friend of mine told me that there will be gear box problem after reaching 80,000km mileage. Is this true?

5. What is the most common problem you face when maintaining the SLK? Is there any part that requires frequent replacements or repairs?

Pardon me for asking so many questions as I am a lady with limited knowledge on sports cabriolets.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Carole
Old 04-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Hi Carole

I have a 1997 230 with 66,000 km

As with any used car it is important to get a complete service documentation which may also re-assure of the mileage (this can be easily manipulated, whether mechanical or electronic).

The clutch should last well over 80,000. The suppercharged models had problems in that regard but yours isn't. However, depends again who drove the car how before.

The roof is usually sturdy - roof switches may, however start to fail in older cars depending again how often the roof mechanism had been engaged. The switches are easy to replace.

A nagging probelm are the poorly-designed brake lights - the contacts easily rerode over time and lead to malfunction, necessitating complete exchange of the rear light unit(s). I had to change both at ~60,000 km, so have many others.

Another weakness are the heated seats. The bottom or back parts frequently fail after a few years, mostly on the driver's side as that seat is more often used. If you have that feature check it out before signing the dotted line, and make sure that both bottom AND rear heat matts work. Repair includes complete seat exchange which is expensive unless you can find a working sample on a scrap yard.

Lastly, the battery will only last 5-6 years. Inquire whether it was replaced recently.

Otherwise, this should be a relatively risk-free purchase. Especially the non-suppercharged R170 leads the Mercedes statistics for reliability, and is much fun to drive.

Good luck
Tom
Old 04-14-2006, 09:12 PM

Tks Tom.

Is the Odometer that easily adjusted?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carole75
Tks Tom.

No

Buy it... Enjoy it

Bazzle
Old 04-15-2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by bazzle
No

Buy it... Enjoy it

Bazzle
Tks. I paid a deposit. kekek.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:48 AM

Tks Tom.

Yup, unfortunately. That's why it will be important to check older service documents.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mastermind
Yup, unfortunately. That's why it will be important to check older service documents.
oh dear, is that true? I am hopping my girlfriend will be able to help me to find out about the car history on Monday. Let's hope nothing major goes wrong manz.

I asked around, and many mentioned it can be adjusted but its not going to be that easy via a normal workshop, unless the ECU is being replaced. Not sure if this is true.

I went back to the car mart to view the car again. Just cant take my eyes off it. wonder if anyone shares the same sentiment? The car is indeed a babe!
Old 04-15-2006, 02:40 PM

Saw one selling at sgcarmart

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2ELufRw6-1059.html

Old 04-15-2006, 04:34 PM

oh dear, is that true? I am hopping my girlfriend will be able to help me to find out about the car history on Monday. Let's hope nothing major goes wrong manz.

I asked around, and many mentioned it can be adjusted but its not going to be that easy via a normal workshop, unless the ECU is being replaced. Not sure if this is true.

I went back to the car mart to view the car again. Just cant take my eyes off it. wonder if anyone shares the same sentiment? The car is indeed a babe!
Unfortunately, you can buy devices e.g., on ebay that allow you to program any odometer reading you like. The ECU does not back up the mileage in the SLK. So it's just prudent to try to get some past service records to check against. Peace of mind....
Old 04-24-2006, 02:07 AM

WTTC from another Singapore member!!

hi there! WTTC. glad to know there is another SLK member in Singapore!! I also own a SLK200 non compressor and it is also a 1987 car! any issues, do let's share information!! welcome!! (eddie tham)
Old 04-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Almost a Member!

The car probably has low mileage since most owners buy these cars and keep them as weekend toys. Even in Singapore. Hopefully, this is the case with your car too. I'm betting that it is...
Old 04-26-2006, 12:35 AM

My Experience

I have a 1998 and have had to replace the controller for the lights because the back up lights didn't work. The drivers side window rolls up too high and have had the window replaced but it still goes too high. The dealer said the motor needed replacement. I didn't replace it. I leave it down a crack so the door shuts. The locking actuator in the roof failed and oil rained on me one day. I replaced the O-ring in the actuator myself. I have also had problems with the rear light contacts and replaced them once.