SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Snow Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SLK 230
Question Snow Driving

Since the midwest and east have been hit with so much snow in the last few weeks, I am having a hard time driving in the snow and ice.

I discovered that by reducing the tire pressure from 33psi to 25psi, the traction is increased dramatically.

My question is are there any long term problems in keeping the rear tires at 25psi while there is snow and ice?
Old 02-25-2003, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
You'll get accelerated tire wear when driving on dry roads.

I'm not really sure what will happen if you just drive on snow/ice. Generally, lower pressures cause the sidewall to flex more and cause the tire to get hotter. Both can lead to premature tire failure. I have no idea how that changes when the temp is cold.

Just remember to air them up to normal if you leave the car sitting for like a week. Cold air and low pressure = flat spots on the tires. Not fun.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:08 AM

MB SLK 200 Kompressor , BMW Z4
Is there any product other than the chains to stop skidding in snowy weather? I heard that there is a kind of plastic cover for the tires which can be easily installed. Is it possible to find it in the market? or is it only produced for experimental purpose ?..
I asked for this product in Switzerland and they told me that i have to look for it in Germany..
I would like to know if you have this product in states.

Thank you
Old 02-26-2003, 06:42 AM

1999 ML430
Well, I have no answer for your plastic question... however, here is what I did.

For $2.73 a bag, I went to Lowe's home improvement store, picked up 4-50 lb. bags of "Quikrete Patio Paving Sand" which comes in a VERY heavy duty plastic bag so it's very difficult to tear, and placed them in the trunk.

With the combination of the 200 lbs of sand in the trunk, and driving in Winter mode, I have had no more problems, even with the SORRY A** Continental ContiSport Contact tires that come stock with the SP1 sport package. Much cheaper than buying a whole new of (preferably) All Season tires!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 10:13 AM

1999 SLK 230 MT
Salt, salt, salt

I prefer to use 4, 50lb bags of salt. My uphill driveway constantly freezes over and if I can't get up it normally, drop some salt and drive right up it.

My advice, is first get dedicated snow tires, which I unfortuanetly wasn't able to get them so late in the season. Second pack your trunk full of salt to give the back some weight. Third a full tank of gas helps a lot too. Last but most important, use common sense. If there's 8 inches on the ground, don't try and drive. Otherwise just drive carefully.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:21 AM

1999 ML430
That's what I'm carrying the sand FOR is for dead weight, not to spread on the pavement. ha ha It WOULD be nice if they made a 4MATIC version of the SLK, so you could have the best of both worlds (beautiful convertible that can actually DRIVE through the snow if it's your only vehicle).
Old 02-26-2003, 01:16 PM

1999 SLK 230 MT
4matic vs. automatic vs. manual

I have to agree. I have a manual transmission, and without it I would have a lot of trouble getting around this winter. 4matic would be nice for the convience but it's still not the same or as much fun as the real thing.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Originally posted by Madd_Scientist
That's what I'm carrying the sand FOR is for dead weight, not to spread on the pavement. ha ha It WOULD be nice if they made a 4MATIC version of the SLK, so you could have the best of both worlds (beautiful convertible that can actually DRIVE through the snow if it's your only vehicle).
It shouldn't be your only vehicle, you have to go out and buy an ML

NP
Old 02-27-2003, 06:46 AM

1999 ML430
Talking

I'm just a buster working at the Pentagon, I'm not rollin' like that!

However, a good majority of my co-workers are jealous cuz I'm rollin' around in a Benz while they're busy paying out child support. :p
Old 02-27-2003, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Originally posted by Madd_Scientist
I'm just a buster working at the Pentagon, I'm not rollin' like that!

However, a good majority of my co-workers are jealous cuz I'm rollin' around in a Benz while they're busy paying out child support. :p
Got to wrap that ***** when you get silly.

NP
Old 03-12-2003, 10:31 AM

SLK 230K Demec tuned
Originally posted by Serhanium
Is there any product other than the chains to stop skidding in snowy weather? I heard that there is a kind of plastic cover for the tires which can be easily installed. Is it possible to find it in the market? or is it only produced for experimental purpose ?..

Thank you
Several options:
1) studded tires (used mainly in nordic countries, normal tires with tiny bits of steel inserted, increases grip considerably)
2) grip-tires (as above but the rubber is extra-soft even at extremely low temps and grips well on snow, doesn't work that well on ice though)
3) more weight to rear (increases traction on lightweighted, rear wheel driven engines)
4) get a limited-slip differential (engine delivers power to both rearwheels so that if the other rearwheel is slipping, the other has traction, makes it a lot more easier to powerslide when traction control off)

I use limited slip diff (40 %) and grip-tires.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I'm surprised nobody mentioned getting Snow tires .

I drive my SLK 32 year round (well my wife does), and we use 17" Michelin Pilot Alpins for the winter months. Same goes for my SLK 320, but 16" versions of the tire. The cars has never been stranded at all, even in the worse of snow/ice storms. Tire pressures at factory recommended levels. Plus the tires are speed rated at 210km/h, so on dry days, I can still have fun.

ESP + Winter Tires is an awesome combination in the winter... can't be beat!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:47 PM

SLK 230K Demec tuned
They must have made the later versions of ESP much better, I have -98 SLK and I think the system stinks on snow/ice: it kicks in way too late and too much and on very heavy snow it can slow you down so that you get stuck (with heavy snow I mean about 2-4 inches of new soft snow on the road).
Old 03-14-2003, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally posted by Strider
They must have made the later versions of ESP much better, I have -98 SLK and I think the system stinks on snow/ice: it kicks in way too late and too much and on very heavy snow it can slow you down so that you get stuck (with heavy snow I mean about 2-4 inches of new soft snow on the road).
That would be ASR. I had that on my 99 SLK 230. ESP wasn't made available till 2001 on the SLK's. ASR is definately inferior compared to ESP (just wheelspin control, no stability control) but it was still driven in the winters just fine.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:43 AM

SLK 230K Demec tuned
Call me an idiot or oldfashioned but if it would be possible to get an SLK without any ABS, BAS, ESP, ASR and whatever I'd get one.
Sports cars are made for driving and enjoying. ABS and BAS are systems that I can tolerate but ASR and especially ESP are such systems that change the charasteristic behavior of the car so much that it's not a sports car anymore.
Control freak? You bet.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:17 AM

2002 SLK 320
Originally posted by Strider
Call me an idiot or oldfashioned but if it would be possible to get an SLK without any ABS, BAS, ESP, ASR and whatever I'd get one.
Sports cars are made for driving and enjoying. ABS and BAS are systems that I can tolerate but ASR and especially ESP are such systems that change the charasteristic behavior of the car so much that it's not a sports car anymore.
Control freak? You bet.
At least you can switch ESP off (although you do have to put up with that ridiculous yellow warning symbol).