SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: 99 SLK - Oil Leaking Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 MB SLK 230
Question 99 SLK - Oil Leaking Convertible Top

I have a 99 SLK where the convertible top will not go up or down. The vent windows will go down, but the top will not go down. Also, the light on the convertible top switch stays on. The vent windows are stuck in the open position.

I took the car to an independent Mercedes repair shop and they said the hydraulic pump was low on fluid. They said they added fluid and they were able to get the top working. When I picked up the car, the top was up, the vent windows were up and closed, and the light was off on the convertible top switch. I just drove the car home without trying the top, because I was afraid that the top would malfunction again and the vent windows would be stuck in the open position. And I didn't have time to mess with it, because I had other commitments.

Today, I had the courage to try the convertible top again. I started up the car and made sure that cover in the trunk was pulled out in position. Rolled down the side windows and pressed the convertible top switch. The side vent windows went down, but I could hear a moaning and groaning in the back of the car. The top just stayed in the closed position and would not go down. Then I started to smell oil. Oil started pouring out of the top headliner area by the passenger side vent window and sun visor.

At this point, the vent windows are again stuck in the open position, the top will not go up or down and the convertible top switch light is always on. The channels on the right side of the convertible top are filled with oil and oil is dripping on the passenger seat and floorboard... Where would be a good place to start to trouble shoot this problem? Thanks...
Old 12-22-2016, 05:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55; 2001 SLK320; 2005 C240
There are 5 hydraulic cylinders that actuate the top, the locking cylinder in front that you mention, then 2 cylinders that tip the trunk back and 2 more that fold the roof. With age, the seals will fail, causing leaks and the top to no longer operate properly.

How mechanically inclined are you? All 5 can be rebuilt and there are seal kits on eBay that are reasonably priced. If you can't rebuilt them yourself, but think you can remove them, there are a number of places that will do the rebuild for you. Where are you located? If you were to go to a dealer, I'm sure it would cost you multiple thousand of dollars. They would replace the cylinders, which is pricey, and the labor rate is steep as well

Tim
Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 PM

1998 230 SLK
I have a similar problem. Any suggestions on how to remove the roof liner?

George
Old 06-22-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 75,xxx miles, 1998 SLK230 250,xxx miles
Her ya go http://www.slkworld.com/r170/hliner.htm
Old 06-25-2017, 11:32 AM

1998 230 SLK
1998 SLK Roof Repair

Wow thanks so much. This will be very helpful.

Is there a Shop Service manual available?

George
Old 01-27-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SLK-280
Anyone know what the correct hydraulic fluid is for the power top? How to access and open the pump tank? Use regular power steering fluid or something more $$ ?
Old 01-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Correct fluid is part # 000-989-91-03-10.. The pump is in the trunk near the spare tire.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:11 PM

2006 SLK-280
Where can I pick up a can of this fluid? Advance Auto or dealer only? My top lift light is starting to make buzzing noises and turning red. Like a nuclear launch in progress. Anything that makes buzzing sounds and is red is never a good sign.

As for the fluid tank refill - once fluid is in hand, any precautions as per pressure release valve, etc?
mikepompura@yahoo.com
Old 01-27-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 75,xxx miles, 1998 SLK230 250,xxx miles
Originally Posted by SLK230-1999
Where can I pick up a can of this fluid? Advance Auto or dealer only? My top lift light is starting to make buzzing noises and turning red. Like a nuclear launch in progress. Anything that makes buzzing sounds and is red is never a good sign.

As for the fluid tank refill - once fluid is in hand, any precautions as per pressure release valve, etc?
mikepompura@yahoo.com
Here is a how to http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...lic-fluid.html
BTW, If you need to fill the hydraulic fluid there must be a leak in the system somewhere.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 PM

2006 SLK-280
Leaking cylinder

I have the same leaking cylinder inside the driver area that works the roof lock - top of windshield on passenger side. I bought a O ring replacement set from ebay for $25-$20. Comes with 5 O rings and a syringe to fill the pump.

One thing about this fluid. It is toxic. Not that healthy to breathe either. I'd be careful driving around inside a closed driver area with that cylinder leaking that fluid.

Also - topping off the pump with fluid: plan on spend at least 30 minutes. It will be the most JOYFUL and PLEASANT experience of your life - never to forget....with you hoping not to have to do it again in your lifetime.

No room to spare in there. Big gorilla hands will not fit. Way too easy to lose the bolt cap if it drops down into the body well area.

Takes 15 minutes trying to screw it back on..fine threads, plus its at a slight angle. You need to begin with hand tightening first. PURE JOY.

I was able to finally get it to begin catching threads by hands about 10-15 minutes..after that I hand screwed it tight. Then used a small tiny ratchet and a TORX (30 I think) to finish.

You must use a syringe and a plastic tube (comes with the O ring kit from ebay) to fill the pump. The space and angle make even that a "nice" job.

Just try not to breathe the stuff or get it in your skin. Its a petro based naptha product with plenty of poison warnings.

Originally Posted by slkkid
I have a 99 SLK where the convertible top will not go up or down. The vent windows will go down, but the top will not go down. Also, the light on the convertible top switch stays on. The vent windows are stuck in the open position.

I took the car to an independent Mercedes repair shop and they said the hydraulic pump was low on fluid. They said they added fluid and they were able to get the top working. When I picked up the car, the top was up, the vent windows were up and closed, and the light was off on the convertible top switch. I just drove the car home without trying the top, because I was afraid that the top would malfunction again and the vent windows would be stuck in the open position. And I didn't have time to mess with it, because I had other commitments.

Today, I had the courage to try the convertible top again. I started up the car and made sure that cover in the trunk was pulled out in position. Rolled down the side windows and pressed the convertible top switch. The side vent windows went down, but I could hear a moaning and groaning in the back of the car. The top just stayed in the closed position and would not go down. Then I started to smell oil. Oil started pouring out of the top headliner area by the passenger side vent window and sun visor.

At this point, the vent windows are again stuck in the open position, the top will not go up or down and the convertible top switch light is always on. The channels on the right side of the convertible top are filled with oil and oil is dripping on the passenger seat and floorboard... Where would be a good place to start to trouble shoot this problem? Thanks...