SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Questions for current Slk350 owners..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for current Slk350 owners..

hello i will soon be a future slk350 owner.. but there are some problems for me.. not with/about the car.. which is totally amazing.. but its about the other cars i could buy for low 50some k

there are alot of choices but they have been narrowed down pretty much to.. the MB slk350.. and the... porsche boxter

i just wanted some comments that might make me favor the slk over the boxter.. and who better to ask than current slk owners?

anyway.. here are some questions...

what is so great (to you) about the slk.. say compared to other roadster/convertibles? and why did you buy the slk instead of something else?

what kind of tranny do you use and why.. do you like your tranny over the other other 1 that was offered?

are some things the slk lacks in your honest opinion?

do you get good service from your MB dealer say when something goes faulty?
also has there been alot of technical problems with the slk for you?

most importantly was it worth the money and are you satisfied?

thank you so much for taking you time to read this.. i feel that 50 thousand dollars is alot of money and that i should invest time into exactly why i should buy this car or not etc..

anyway.. thanks alot!

please comment just in general about the car.. its handling.. any oversteer you guys have felt anything like that.. thanks alot

-jon
Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM

One of the main reasons I bought the SLK is for the hardtop convertible feature. I have owned another hardtop convertible that you had to physically remove a portion of the roof and store it in the trunk. It was a real pain. This concept is the best of both worlds - nice hardtop and solid convertible with an easy, elegant, amazing transition.

The car looks better than a Boxster, although that is subjective.

It is a pleasure to drive in normal use, which is 90% of the time for most people. If you want to flog it, it doesn't disappoint. I have always owned manual boxes, but I got the automatic this time. No regrets. Again it is great for the 90% usage in traffic, etc., but the ability to shift it with a flick of the wrist again doesn't disappoint. Also mentioning "7 speed" seems to put people in awe.

It is a very comfortable, "personal" car. I drove Boxsters, but for daily use this has no comparison. In a Boxster you always seem to want to take it redline and go around corners at max speed just to enjoy the car. With the SLK you can just sit back and enjoy at any speed.

If you intend to go to the track 90% of the time, the Boxster is probably the best choice. If it will be a personal means of transportation pleasure, go for the SLK.

The Mercedes dealer here has been very good at addressing any issues. I had a CLK before, and they cared for it very well. They give the SLK even more attentions, although it is new and was only there for one questional issue.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:36 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
I am partial to Mercedes and the SL I have is a very nice automobile but the removal of the hardtop and convertible use honestly got to be too time consuming. I seldom change it. And it really isn't a "sportscar".
I never cared for Porsche. Owned one of the first Honda sportscars they ever made (wasn't imported to US) and loved it but still to me not a comparison.
The idea of the hardtop and covertable was very appealing.
But I also tracked the reports on the devolpement of this car, the engine, tranny, suspension, etc. and was impressed.

Then by chance I stopped by and saw one... no need to drive it! I was sold. The only other car I would have considered would have been a Corvette but I can honestly say Mercedes really did a good job and I am very pleased.

I too like manual but this 7 speed is amazing and fun to operate. I doubt I could make those shift changes as fast with a manual (maybe getting older too).
It turns heads and when you want to "hit it" - it goes. But as noted above, it is very comforable for routine driving.
Drawback would only be the black interior that needs to be wiped down often, picks up skin dust but I love "massaging" it so I will accept that problem.

I have had no problems, other than trying to figure out some of the owners manual, and have had good results from the dealer (basically "reading" the manual). The dealership was bought out about a year ago and they have made vast improvements but even with the old one, warranty issues were never a problem.

I don't think you will be disappointed. Go for it!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:59 PM

2005 SLK350
Mine was a graduation gift from my brother. (Tell me how cool that is?) My daily driver operates just fine, so I was in no hurry over a year ago when the whole process started. I drove the Boxster S (the old one, not the just released one), the Z4, 350Z Roadster, M3 Cabrio, Audi TT, S2000, and a few other cars that don't quite fit the class. Again, that was over a year ago.

Six months later, I put my money down, and three months after that I placed my order for the SLK, sight unseen and undriven. Based on the spy photos and early reports, I decided to roll the dice and take a chance. I was disappointed with the old SLK320, but everything said this car was better.

I chose mine on the reported performance (which again, it has exceeded all reports) and the beautiful lines of the new model. The articulating top is nice, but I would have dealt with a soft top if someone offered something that performed as well and was as attractive. Although I didn't pick it for this reason, the wow-factor is really cool, too... It's nice when someone says, "Wow, that's a beautiful car."

I took delivery in late September. I have been thrilled with it. It has exceeded every expectation. I gotta admit that it was cool to pick up the first one deliverd by my dealership, but I'm not the type of driver to be smitten with that if the car doesn't perform. It did, in every way.

I went with the manual gearbox because I'm something of a purist. I've never bought an automatic. The auto box is great, though. I drove one and was really surprised with it. I doubt seriously that most drivers would be able to squeeze out the extra performance reported by MB on the manual. I know I can't, but I just have more fun with the manual. It takes a true pro to gain that extra .2 seconds in the 0-60. Either box would be a good choice, so pick whichever you're more comfortable with.

As far as problems, you have to remember that mine was truly one of the first to come off the line. My VIN ends in 00033. I'm not sure, but I think that means something... Initially, my Airscarf and heated seats didn't work with the top down, but worked perfectly with the top up. My Check Engine light came on with about 500 miles, and it came with the wrong NAV DVD. All of these problems were taken care of by my dealership within a week of initial delivery, and would have been taken care of sooner but I live 75 miles from the dealership and couldn't get it back to them right away.

My dealership has been phenominal. Always ready to take care of me with both of my Benzes. Keep in mind that this has nothing to do with any other dealership in the country. Usually MB dealers are pretty decent, but you can NOT judge one by another. If you really want to know about your particular dealer, you can only ask other customers of that dealership. Mine has been around a long time, and I think that makes a difference.

Not many of us will ever run on any sort of track. According to what I have read, the SLK gets off the line faster, has a faster accelleration, and a faster top speed than the Boxster S. The Boxster S makes up for it with handling. So if you really do want to race the car, you'd be better off with the SLK on a drag strip, but better off with the Boxster S on a track. This is irrelevant to most drivers...

Just my thoughts, and I hope this helps...
Old 03-11-2005, 08:09 AM

wow thanks alot guys.. i think im pretty sure that ill be getting the slk.. since it is cheaper than the boxter(the base model not S)..

it really shouldnt be but, because alot of people arnt buying the slk that well in many places.. im sure i can get really nice interest rates..

maybe some $ off the sticker price as well..

it all comes down to the price they give me.. and also the test drives..

IM still not sure as to whether or not i want a stick or an auto..
the stick sounds just so much.. funner..
and im not usually in traffic except for when i go to school on weds night.. around 5pm

it all depends if theres anyone who could teach me to drive a stick..
man....

i remember the first time i saw someone use stick and just really go all out.. it was when i was a freshmen in highschool.. and i had a friend who was a senior.. she was taking me home.. she drove a acura integra.. man.. she was great at it.. i was just like WOW

as to how well she could drive that car.. it seemed so.. natural ahah

anyway yea.. i have never driven a manual but ill learn i think from my neighbor whos a nice guy.. he drives a saab.. wouldnt mind a car like his

anyway - thanks again

-jon
Old 03-11-2005, 10:32 AM

also.. if anyone..

if anyone knows like the annual interest rates you guys think i would be able to get..

of course im not sure how ill pay it.. but the downpayment will be somewhere between 10-12k..

i was wondering if there was someway my dad could pay for it.. but with me actually giving him the money without making him pay more taxes (and wether me giving him money would be considered as "income" by the irs)

and if it is.. if that lowers his tax return rates and such..

of course ill try my best to get the best deals from multiple MB dealers in my area ( suburbs of baltimore, md ) i dont mind driving a couple extra miles for better interest rates + price..

was wondering also wether or not.. 10-12k is alot for down payment on a car.. (thats gonna cost roughly 50k give or take a k)

thanks again.. if anyone of of you guys are knowledgable and willing to help me out.. thad be great! (oh.. and my dad has.. really really really great credit..) thanks!

jon
Old 03-11-2005, 01:07 PM

2005 SLK350 Silver w/ Black; 2004 GMC Sierra 2500
I had looked at the older SLK320 a couple years ago and almost bought one, but didnt. Then a couple months ago I saw an ad for the new SLK and it was love at first sight, i didnt even bother looking at anything else as I dont want to own a porche, and to me the Z4 doesnt even compare.

As far as interest goes with great credit you should be in the low 5% for a 5 year note and mid to hi 4s or so for 3 year note. As far as the down payment goes, ever K you put down will reduce your payment by APPROXIMATELY $30 or so.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:48 PM

slk 350
I love the slk350. I particularly like the styling and powerful engine. And the retractable hardtop is a big plus too. I never considered the Porsche. I'm not a big fan of the styling. They all look similar. The BMW Z-4 is just plain ugly. The Corvette is american built. It might be great but I swore off American cars long ago. The Audi TT is a bit tired looking by now. The Nissan 350Z and the Honda S2000 are just a little too boy racer for me. Overall, I think the combination of great looks, powerful engine, classy interior and retractable hardtop of the slk350 make it the best choice, for me anyway.

The only negatives I can point to are the easily marked dash(not too big of a deal) and if you don't get the entertainment package, which I didn't, the radio display is very hard to see with the top down. In my opinion, a big oversight by MB.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:17 AM

The hard top here in the pacific northwest made the choice easy for me.
I also wanted a car that was solid and quite with the top up and the SLK is all of that top up or down. Was cloudy yesterday and 52 degrees. Me and the wife who is always cold ran around all day and I was too warm with my coat on and she was fine. I had to turn the airscarf and heated seats to low.
We did have the windows up an but it was very pleasent. Got the thumbs up from several corvette owners who were riding around with the top up. One even stopped to chat about it. I have owned several vettes but no rag tops.
I would not have even thought about pulling the targa roof on a day like yesterday. I have been very pleased. My buddy has a boxter and he drove my car yesterday and loved it. Interior has more room as well as the trunk. The seats are more comfortable and the SLK is much quicker then his standard boxter. He loved the 7 speed auto. He said if he had one his wife would maybe drive itonce in a while. She never drives the boxter. They also never take it on trips because of the lack of room inside and for luggage. He is now looking to one up me and go for one of the bigger MB hard top converts. He would like to be able to carry two sets of clubs and the wife.
The boxters S is faster and more of a pure sports car if that is what you are looking for. I wanted more luxury and so did my wife who the regular driver.
She had a jag XK8 before and we traded in her Infinit G35 coupe for the 350.
She missed the luxury, and solid feel of her Jag. She loves the SLK. Just got it so I am curious to see how much she drives it with the top down. I have already laid down the rule if it dry and over 50 I am driving and the top will be down.

Good luck