SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLKs = Girly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLKs = Girly?

So, I've been considering financing a white slk, and the only comments I've been getting from friends and people I know have been that SLKs are girly cars, especially white ones.

What does everyone here think?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:28 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Originally Posted by JBRhee
So, I've been considering financing a white slk, and the only comments I've been getting from friends and people I know have been that SLKs are girly cars, especially white ones.

assume you are referring to the old body style. The R171 is a cat of a different color.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:33 AM

ML 320 CDI
You buy your car for yourself and not for your friends. If you like it, go for it.

A white R171 is an excellent choice.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
I agree that the 171 is not a chick car whatsoever. But, whenever two guys are driving around in a red 171 they are under homo suspicion......just don't get red and you are OK.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:32 AM

AMG package makes the car look a lot more aggressive and helps with the girly factor. My buddy has a boxter- Porche in panties and I give him a hard time. His response is girls love the car so whats your point. Its a chick magnet. Now if you want to attract dudes you can borrow my 66' 427 vette stringray.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by mbbodytech
I agree that the 171 is not a chick car whatsoever. But, whenever two guys are driving around in a red 171 they are under homo suspicion......just don't get red and you are OK.
LOL..

The new SLK is beautiful but definately not girly. I've seen many around my neighborhood driven by males. The SLK350 with AMG sports package is the only way to go. It's rare and you can spot it a mile away, especially with the bi-xenons. IM bias O, the SLK350 AMG looks better than the SLK55 b/c of the wheels and the front air dam, I prefer the smooth rounder look.

I'm not a red car person myself but Julien321's Mars red SLK is beautiful. I can actually see myself in it.

OT: I was downtown having coffee with my friends and there were two silver SLK's parallel parked by each other. One with AMG pkg and one w/o. Ppl were drooling over the one with the AMG sports pkg. I overheard ppl saying, "that it must of cost a fortune, six figures at least." The other SLK didn't get any attention. The owner of the AMG one had a big smirk on his face and tons of girls asking him about it. The one w/o just kinda jump in his car and drove off. (Probably to the dealer and ask for an AMG kit) :p
Old 06-16-2005, 01:11 PM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Originally Posted by mbbodytech
...whenever two guys are driving around in a red 171 they are under homo suspicion.....
Sound like you may have homophobia or insecurity issues. I would have not even considered the 170 but the 171 is a totally deferent animal. Add the AMG package and it becomes an even more masculine looking car, additionally so in Mars.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
havent your parents ever taught you not to listen what other ppl say or think..... then when you get it theyll be drooling
Old 06-16-2005, 05:27 PM

987S
IMHO the paler colours are still a bit on the girly side (silver especially)..... the AMG package and SLK55 although only slightly different don't look at all girly to me...... surprising what a little change in shape can make!
Old 06-16-2005, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by JBRhee

your friends are right! and I'd say there good friends for telling you how it is! my lawyer finally sold his cause even his wife made fun of him! slk's and bmr z cars are for chicks!not old middle aged guys who can't afford s classes to fall back on! and for the younger guys buying them I know your just trying to impress the ladies but please there laughing at you also! and to the other posts above this one you need to look at what cars there driving before you go with there imput--clk's? marketed to girls, s5000 honda totall girl car, should i go on? and i don't have any homophobia problems etc i just call it like i see it. in ads you don't see a bunch of guys standing around the car theres girls, wifes etc there marketed as a girl car, with that said i do like the slk 55 and the new z car but wouldn't buy one to sport.

Last edited by BMWEATR; 06-16-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:26 AM

The r171 is definitley not a girls car!!

Never mind white - go for black - but not the metallic black - the solid black (code 040) looks much better and saves you money. It's amazing the shine you get on it!

The car looks really mean if you spec up to the 18inch AMG alloys. In fact save money on the amg kit - fit the MB front and rear apron lip spoilers, AMG bootlid spoiler and with all the money you save go for the 19 inch kleeman alloys!! - size matters!
Old 06-17-2005, 10:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2 males in a red SLK driving around is ok - not at all homo I think.

But if you watch them in the car and suddenly the passenger's head disappears cause it looks like he put his head down on the driver's lap then probably you're looking at a couple of guys who's *****' curve the wrong way.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by big_willy
2 males in a red SLK driving around is ok - not at all homo I think.

But if you watch them in the car and suddenly the passenger's head disappears cause it looks like he put his head down on the driver's lap then probably you're looking at a couple of guys who's *****' curve the wrong way.
hmmm just a little too much information we didnt need there
Old 06-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 SLK350
from what i noticed on this forum...most the r171 drivers are males.

unless, of course, males predominate online forums.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by dwei42
from what i noticed on this forum...most the r171 drivers are males.

unless, of course, males predominate online forums.
Both are true from my speculation..

If you want females, I suggest drama (especally korean) forums.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by big_willy
Or when both guys are in the car and one has a big_willy. j/k.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:39 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Not a girls car at all. Like many said; get the AMG, Brabus or other package to make it more aggressive if you're worried.

Lastly, if you are driving around with a male friend, just make sure you are poorly dressed, listening to rock, sporting uncombed hair, and finally not clean-shaven.

PS. Isn't interesting that most people who dis the car usually have a car of lesser value anyways? *shrug*
Old 06-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW Z3 S/C & 99 Mroadster
it has a F1 nose...Point:
A. Most chicks dont watch F1
b. the ones that do are HOOOOT, so attract them all you want.

I love how everyone totally ignored that BMWEATR tool... good job guys dont feed the trolls
Old 06-18-2005, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
SL vs. SLK. . .

It's really just a question of whether you want to be the engine or the caboose.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:18 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
Security

Seems to me that city-dwelling, white-collar people who drive giant SUVs, anyone driving a b1tchin' Camaro, and so forth, are compensating.

It takes a man secure in his masculinity to drive a tiny roadster. The true "chick car" is an H2 (look who buys those).
Old 06-18-2005, 11:09 PM

2005 SLK350 Silver w/ Black; 2004 GMC Sierra 2500
There was an article in i believe Motor Trend which addressed the issue of the SLK being a "chick car". They said, which i completely agree with, that the R170 model was a chick car by far, but that the new R171 SLK is a true sports car and has very masculine lines and styling. I dont see how the R171 could be a chick car IMO.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
I think the girly tag mainly comes from the R170 because stock it has horrible handling (made to be comfortable and "soft"), and the SLK230 just doesnt have that much power behind it, plus the whole convertible thing and the soft styling.I think you'll be good with an R171 or a modded R170.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Guys at Kleemann took me to the airport in the Kleemann SLK.

OMG....that car kicked....Cory hit a corner that I will never forget.

Top down and a warm neck that kept getting snapped back.....

I LOVE that car!!
Old 06-19-2005, 12:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
It seems a lot of people opt for the AMG look to avoid any hint of being girlymen.
This sounds like over compensation to me.
You can like the look or not, but its not a feminine one. Metrosexual look at best.
If this is a major problem for you, either seek help or go buy a 'vette.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:15 AM

SLK 230
Can't attach a tag to a car....

I think the topic is worth looking at. And I notice that a lot of the people who think it isn't a girly car are people who have already bought it. I think the SLK is a "feminine" car (both new and old) because it is a small dinky roadster which is always more feminine as compared to the SL which is bigger or convertible M3s which has very different styling.

Of course when you mod the car with AMG or Kleeman it is going to be less feminine by the very nature of the modifications but in the end of the day are they worth it. My own personal view is AMG is vastly overpriced purely for appearance changes - if you want that - go for the actual AMG models rather than attaching it to your base models.

Also I think you drive a car for the reasons you want to as it is not the car which makes a person "girly" it is the style of driving. I always get complimented by women driving my old SLK around town with the top down - the fact is they appreciate it costs more to get a merc than a bog standard car and then of course they get to know you and the car becoming incidental. Also femininity is often attractive to females anyway - after all the new Aston Martin cars look very feminine and very sexy - so a dash of femininity in cars is not always a bad thing.

What I am trying to say is - drive the cars you wish to buy in your price range and consider which one YOU are comfortable with and the uses you put it to. Every car will have it's up and down e.g. I drove the new SLK and I found the seats too hard but then again I loved the airscarf - you can't have everything. Just don't attach any tag to a car - after all it is how you treat it, the use you put to it and the smile it puts on YOUR face - not others in the end of the day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: SLKs = Girly?