SLK/R171: Questions: dashboard and iPod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe
Questions: dashboard and iPod

hey guys, my sister got her 06 yesterday. they told her the dashboard was made of some special material and they gave her a special cloth to clean it with - is this true, or can you use any regular leather cleaner/conditioner on the dash? also, has anyone done the ipod integration? can you control the ipod through the car's system, or do you need to do all your scrolling and stuff on the actual ipod? how much is the ipod kit to hook it up to the car? we're trying to decide between ipod or just installing a cd changer.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
You can used whatever you like to clean the dash but from what I've read, it's recommended that you used the cloth provided, it doesn't leave much residue. Other members can probably provide more info.

Yes you can control everything on the Command Unit. Ipod Integration Kit only works with the Command Unit. If you didn't get this option, then it's probably not going to work or very expensive to install later. I've read somewhere that the iPod Integration Kit will be $299 install. Don't ask where, I don't remember. My Invoice says that I have it. Option 320 Entern. w/ Nav. Does not say that it's pre-wiring, it says specifically Ipod Integration Kit.

No need to decide, iPod hands down. CD changer will be obsolete in a few years. MP3 players will eventually take over. Just go with the flow.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
do you have the connection in the glovebox then? i found this online - http://www.mbusa.com/main/container....iPod/index.jsp
Old 06-30-2005, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by midget fidger
do you have the connection in the glovebox then? i found this online - http://www.mbusa.com/main/container....iPod/index.jsp
I don't have the car yet, will pick it up next month.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:05 PM

SLK 350 AMG
In the U.S., there is not enough space in the glovebox to store an iPod if the CD changer is already installed. However, in U.K. models the CD changer is smaller than the U.S. version, so there is enough room to store an iPod in the glovebox.

It's only speculation until MB releases the iPod kit (mid-July?), but in the U.S. the iPod will probably have to go in the upright storage compartment, between the seats (there is already a pop-out hole for the cable). The bad news is that this compartment does not lock with central locking - so it would be wise to remove the iPod if you leave the car with the top down for any length of time.

BTW. The iPod kit will BEGIN at $299 PLUS installation. This will be the lowest price for one particular MB model - not necessarily for the SLK; it could (and probably will) be more expensive for SLKs. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
oh ok, i guess i'll be waiting until then!
Old 07-02-2005, 01:51 PM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Originally Posted by Essellkay350
...However, in U.K. models the CD changer is smaller than the U.S. version, so there is enough room to store an iPod in the glovebox....
The changers are the same size but the glove boxes are larger. There are no knee airbags in Europe that takes up space from the glove box.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:58 PM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Originally Posted by midget fidger
...or can you use any regular leather cleaner/conditioner on the dash?....
Only use leather conditioner/cleaner on leather and the dash is NOT leather. Most of the time I just use a spray bottle filled with water and a micro fiber towel. If it is soiled I spray a small amount of 409 or Simple Green on the towel and spray dash with water. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant also.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
oh ok, yeah, the dash feels kinda weird. what is it made of?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:10 PM

2005 SLK350
it's kinda like tire rubber. Not sure exactly what they call it, but it is a rubber compound. The dealer told me it was leather at first also, but I never did believe them...
Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 PM

Stock Ipod integration

When you get the Ipod integrated in the car, do you use the cable that came with the Ipod into a USB port in the car or is there some special MB cable?