SLK/R171: R171 SLK iPOD install guides ... HERE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
R171 SLK iPOD install guides ... HERE

Here are some guides. Once I run out of space in several months they will be taken down (or maybe sooner).

Main document
http://members.optusnet.com.au/benzmodz/R171-IPOD1.pdf

http://members.optusnet.com.au/benzmodz/R171-IPOD2.pdf

http://members.optusnet.com.au/benzmodz/R171-IPOD3.pdf

http://members.optusnet.com.au/benzmodz/R171-IPOD4.pdf
Old 10-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 AMG
Idea on alternate IPOD install location

Here's a thought, based on reading the complete install instructions posted for the IPOD kit...

The actual IPOD "reciever" (tray with IPOD connector) is NOT actually molded to fit any specific place. It uses adhesive velcro strips to anchor in the bottom of the armrest storage (per standard installation). So it could be placed many places.

This location also requires the removal of most of the console between the seats, and the armrest console, etc. And you lose some storage, assuming you will not want to pile stuff on top of your IPOD.

In the European SLK models the space above the COMAND screen is a drawer. In the US, it is a mostly (at least to a lot of us) worthless "cup holder".

Why not have the IPOD installed in that drawer (for the US would need to get the drawer to replace the "cup holder").

Couple of advantages:
- Installation should be much easier (i.e. less labor hours), all installation would be within Dashboard area.

- You don't "lose" one of the major storage areas in the car (the armrest deep console)

In the US you don't lose anything but a "marginal" cup holder, and perhaps gain a little more storage (next to the IPOD in the drawer above the COMAND screen, as the drawer looks bigger than the IPOD).

Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by bloflin
So it could be placed many places.
...not really...because of the limitted length of the wiring harnesses that MB suplied and a suiteable location of the control unit...

greetingz,
Old 10-07-2005, 12:35 PM

In the 2006 models, the Ipod kit is standard. Where is it installed?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:59 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
...not really...because of the limitted length of the wiring harnesses that MB suplied and a suiteable location of the control unit...
I meant many, not all places, what I was trying to convey, is it does NOT appear to me that the parts are molded to fit just in the one place (i.e. as opposed to the phone kit which seems dedicated to one installation). In fact if you wanted to just stick it on the side of the dash center console, it looks like you could.

Perhaps, I mis-interpreted the install instructions, but it certainly looks like it could go in the center "drawer" above the COMAND screen. It looked like the only connections were to the COMAND unit in the center of the dash and the Audio Gateway that is in the passenger kick panel.

Can you clarify, if you know my interpretation is incorrect?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:11 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by mhsherman
In the 2006 models, the Ipod kit is standard. Where is it installed?
Don't know your location (not in your profile), but at least for the US, this has been a source of some confusion.

IPOD Kits are NOT standard on any SLK model, even in 2006.

There has been some discussion that starting with a certain build date they are IPOD kit "ready". This could mean many things. Could be as simple as just meaning the current COMAND s/w shipping doesn't need to updated, during the IPOD Kit install. OR it could mean that they have started to include in the standard build some of the pre-wiring, so the the actually KIT install is simpler (ie. less labor hours and less disassembly of the car).

I don't know for sure, just speculation, on what that means (if anything).

However, you still have to purchase and have the kit installed as an accessory. It can be Dealer installed and perhaps now it can be part of the VPC install process.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Question Ipod Standard with Entertainment Package

Don't know your location (not in your profile), but at least for the US, this has been a source of some confusion.

IPOD Kits are NOT standard on any SLK model, even in 2006.
I am in N. California and my order confirmation says that as part of option 320 (NAV) there is an Ipod Integration Kit.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
my sister has an 06 and there's no ipod kit. the papers and everything say that same line. it's probably just "ready" like what bloflin said. maybe that just means it's more ready than an 05 or somethin haha
Old 10-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SLK350
Make the dealer do it.

Originally Posted by midget fidger
my sister has an 06 and there's no ipod kit. the papers and everything say that same line.
If the papers say it, it is part of the purchase contract and the dealer has to install it.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:05 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vodil
If the papers say it, it is part of the purchase contract and the dealer has to install it.
Vodil, let us know for sure when it comes in. Again complete IPOD kit is NOT included, but it may well be installed on your car. But someone is paying for it (either you in your total price) or your service guy "comp'd" you one.

But also be sure the paperwork isn't just saying something like "IPOD capable" or "IPOD kit ready".
Old 10-09-2005, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
vodil, did your dealer install one for you following the papers saying you paid already? where did he put it?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:15 PM

Can anyone else answer?

Originally Posted by midget fidger
vodil, did your dealer install one for you following the papers saying you paid already? where did he put it?
My SLK is still on the high seas. I should have it around mid November.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:01 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Does ANYONE have an iPod kit in yet?

As a side note, I have yet to hear of anyone who actually has an iPod capable SLK yet, whether factory 2006, or add on 2005. My dealer called me at the end of August to tell me I could now order it for my 2005, which I did (and paid for it), but it has yet to arrive.

Does anyone out there have the iPod kit installed?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
R171 Ipod kit...another model specific Ipod kit that does not make sense at all...what have the engineers at DC been thinking?!?!?!

greetingz,
Old 10-11-2005, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Maverick
As a side note, I have yet to hear of anyone who actually has an iPod capable SLK yet, whether factory 2006, or add on 2005. My dealer called me at the end of August to tell me I could now order it for my 2005, which I did (and paid for it), but it has yet to arrive.

Does anyone out there have the iPod kit installed?
I have a kit here ready to install just as soon as the owner returns from the distant outback ......

Its almost funny .... Steve sent me a kit for installation after so many weeks of delay by MB and now the owner is not in town.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:53 PM

2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe, for now :)
Hey benzmod, the links in your original post are dead. I'd be more than happy to host them if you don't have space
Old 11-08-2005, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Gonzo
Hey benzmod, the links in your original post are dead. I'd be more than happy to host them if you don't have space
I have been advised to update my policy on copyright material.

You will have to buy these files from TEKINFO or ask someone with a copy to relay them to you.

Unfortunately it seems that whilst Mercedes has so many issues with cars they still find the time to people about extremely useful documents that some dealerships find hard to locate.

I know of many people who print shared files and take them to the dealer.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Ipod ready means...

Ipod ready means...

The stereo is 'ready' and capable of working with the Ipod kit. It does not mean it comes with anything extra. You still have to buy the Ipod kit.

I believe they have simply added the "ipod ready" to differentiate between units with/without Command. Many MB owners have attempted to purchase the Ipod kit and have it installed with their Audio 20. In fact, some of them are forum members that were misinformed by the dealer. I think it only makes sense for MB to state 'ipod ready' on all upcoming Command units. For future owners, it makes more sense.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:46 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by dsb
Ipod ready means...

The stereo is 'ready' and capable of working with the Ipod kit. It does not mean it comes with anything extra. You still have to buy the Ipod kit.

I believe they have simply added the "ipod ready" to differentiate between units with/without Command. Many MB owners have attempted to purchase the Ipod kit and have it installed with their Audio 20. In fact, some of them are forum members that were misinformed by the dealer. I think it only makes sense for MB to state 'ipod ready' on all upcoming Command units. For future owners, it makes more sense.
I noticed that you have installed door lock pins in your car and was wondering how difficult it is?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:02 AM

dead links :-(

I'll be more than interrested to get these files, if someone can be nice enough to send it to me by e-mail or pm a d/l link it will be very kind.
Thanks a lot by advance...
Old 01-15-2006, 07:35 PM

06 SLK55
Hi Benzmodz,
Do you know where I can find install instruction on the IPOD kit?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:03 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Bill (taroliw on this forum) has a GREAT repository of MB documentation on the SLK171, including the IPOD install.

http://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/docs/
Old 01-16-2006, 10:17 PM

06 SLK55
Thank you Bloflin. Found what I was looking for. very helpfull site WOW
Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM

SLK 200 R171
Bill (taroliw on this forum) has a GREAT repository of MB documentation on the SLK171, including the IPOD install.

http://www.billsden.org/mercedes/slk/docs/
Nice site! Thanks!