SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: McCulloch 8000k HID Kit Installation Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK350
McCulloch 8000k HID Kit Installation Help

hello, i have a 2005 slk350 without the lighting package (bi-xenons, etc) so i purchased a mcculloch 8000k hid kit. the installation diagram looks pretty basic. i've taken a peek under the hood and noticed that it's pretty cramped. i hear that some applications require removal of the bumper or minor modification to the dust cover or whatever. just wondering if any of you guys have installed an aftermarket hid kit on your cars and have any tips or suggestions. any info would be appreciated. thanks. i will try to post pics of my stock car soon.

Last edited by algrensan; 11-07-2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:56 PM

2005 C230
i willl be posting a video on saturday on how to install.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:47 PM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Originally Posted by Untouchable08
Any update on the video or how to install an aftermarket HID system?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:50 PM
-1-

Originally Posted by algrensan
hello, i have a 2005 slk350 without the lighting package (bi-xenons, etc) so i purchased a mcculloch 8000k hid kit. the installation diagram looks pretty basic. i've taken a peek under the hood and noticed that it's pretty cramped. i hear that some applications require removal of the bumper or minor modification to the dust cover or whatever. just wondering if any of you guys have installed an aftermarket hid kit on your cars and have any tips or suggestions. any info would be appreciated. thanks. i will try to post pics of my stock car soon.
Any luck with the installation of your aftermarket HID light kit? I installed some low and high beam Sylvania Silverstar lights. Eventually, I'll upgrade to true Xenon. The best access you have to the light assembly without removing the front bumper cover is through the front section of the wheel well. Remove the front tire, the forward section of the wheel well liner, and you have complete access to the rear section of the light assemblies. I believe the assemblies could also be removed, two screws on the light assemblies in the engine compartment, and one underneath. Has anyone here actually removed the assemblies?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:31 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by -1-
Any luck with the installation of your aftermarket HID light kit? I installed some low and high beam Sylvania Silverstar lights. Eventually, I'll upgrade to true Xenon. The best access you have to the light assembly without removing the front bumper cover is through the front section of the wheel well. Remove the front tire, the forward section of the wheel well liner, and you have complete access to the rear section of the light assemblies. I believe the assemblies could also be removed, two screws on the light assemblies in the engine compartment, and one underneath. Has anyone here actually removed the assemblies?

I was wondering the same. I have an SLK55 and just having hard time trying to get my hands to the back of the light assemply. Any suggestions out there?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:32 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by Untouchable08
Do you have pix or video on how to installe/replace light bulbs. It is tight space to work with
Old 12-19-2005, 07:45 PM
-1-

Originally Posted by welcomer
I was wondering the same. I have an SLK55 and just having hard time trying to get my hands to the back of the light assemply. Any suggestions out there?
Removing the front tires, and the forward wheel liner (about eight screws, the front wheel liner is in two pieces) provides full access to the electrical connectors and the all lights in the light assemblies. Takes about ten minutes. Simple process.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:46 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
At 8000 Kelvin you prolly won't see anything at night. The lights will be sooooooo purple.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:32 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by -1-
Removing the front tires, and the forward wheel liner (about eight screws, the front wheel liner is in two pieces) provides full access to the electrical connectors and the all lights in the light assemblies. Takes about ten minutes. Simple process.

Can I assume you did this already? I checked the wheel well from within the engine compartment and it looks like one piece
Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 PM
-1-

Originally Posted by welcomer
Can I assume you did this already? I checked the wheel well from within the engine compartment and it looks like one piece
Yes, it's exactly as I described. I've switched the bulbs.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:28 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
When you install aftermarket Xenons, I've heard that you have to have a dealer set the system to "Xenon-present" otherwise the lights won't work or it goes nuts. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:10 AM
-1-

Originally Posted by slktyperice
When you install aftermarket Xenons, I've heard that you have to have a dealer set the system to "Xenon-present" otherwise the lights won't work or it goes nuts. Can anyone confirm this?
That doesn't sound correct. As long as it's wired correctly, it should work. Most aftermarket HID kits are cheap. I'd be concerned that an inferior kit could damage the wiring, etc. Anyone have suggestions for a top quality kit maker. I wouldn't trust most kits on eBay.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:28 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
It doesn't really matter. The quality of the kits (which include the ballast and bulb) only matters in bulb life. You should be concerned if the bulbs are made in Korea or China and that's why they're so cheap. It definitely won't damage the wiring because the ballast is connected directly to the battery and the stock wiring from the light switch is used merely as a low-voltage triggering on/off switch for the HID ballast. The only reason why there might need to be a change in the system is that since there are no longer halogen bulbs connected, the computer will not detect the bulbs drawing power and thus display a bulb failure warning. MB can reset this when the Xenons are present since the Xenons draw directly from the battery.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:32 AM
-1-

Originally Posted by slktyperice
It doesn't really matter. The quality of the kits (which include the ballast and bulb) only matters in bulb life. You should be concerned if the bulbs are made in Korea or China and that's why they're so cheap. It definitely won't damage the wiring because the ballast is connected directly to the battery and the stock wiring from the light switch is used merely as a low-voltage triggering on/off switch for the HID ballast. The only reason why there might need to be a change in the system is that since there are no longer halogen bulbs connected, the computer will not detect the bulbs drawing power and thus display a bulb failure warning. MB can reset this when the Xenons are present since the Xenons draw directly from the battery.
Can anyone confirm the last sentence. Is this actually required when upgrading from halogen to a HID Xenon kit?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I got aftermarket 8000k HIDs installed in my car. Everything works and looks perfect (such a difference compared to stock). I also switched out all the other bulbs (parking and foglights) and put in blue ones. Everything is good except the parking light on the left side is constantly on, even after I turn the car off. I'm told that you gotta have the battery and/or the ECU reset for it to work. Anybody know any ways I can do this without visiting the dealer?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:16 PM
-1-

Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I got aftermarket 8000k HIDs installed in my car. Everything works and looks perfect (such a difference compared to stock). I also switched out all the other bulbs (parking and foglights) and put in blue ones. Everything is good except the parking light on the left side is constantly on, even after I turn the car off. I'm told that you gotta have the battery and/or the ECU reset for it to work. Anybody know any ways I can do this without visiting the dealer?
WOW, that's interesting. How do you like the 8000k HIDs? They must be blue. I think I'd prefer the 6000k, but I love the blue tint. Can you see OK at night. What brand, who from, and the cost? Thanks for the info. I'm also awaiting an answer to you last sentence. Thanks again!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I don't know the brand (I can find out some time this week), but its like I have nightvision when I turn them on. There is almost no need for high-beams because it's like my low-beams are permanent high-beams. I got them for $650. The 8000k looks awesome, and yeah, its a mix of blue, purple, and white. I have blue neons inside the car, so all the lights are blue (even the turn signals). I'm suprised you guys think that it might worsen my vision at night. All its done is greatly increased it. My father has an SL55 with Bi-xenons and mine are much brighter than his and illuminate the road much more.

Take care

Last edited by ItalianStallion; 12-26-2005 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added price and minor info
Old 12-28-2005, 06:11 AM

I know I'm kind of late on posting this, but yea whatever. I went to this modifying shop to install my HID kit but realised that the left side is vibrating. Today i took off the wheels and removed the front liner and there is full complete access to the assembly. Very neat and easy stuff, just alot of screws though. Found out that one of the screws which is suppose to lock the assembly onto the car body is missing. I hope that MBSD sells those screws, otherwise im SCREWED! -.-.. Going down there tomorrow to buy the screws. One more thing, this guy who works at the modifying shop used to be this BRABUS dude. He said that HALO HID kits works best for benz. So far havent gotten any flickering or whatsoever, and no error msg on the car. Im not sure with other brands though, but not taking my chances. I trust this guy, and if anything goes wrong, Im finding him!! At least someone can be responsible for it. Lol.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:27 PM
-1-

Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I don't know the brand (I can find out some time this week), but its like I have nightvision when I turn them on. There is almost no need for high-beams because it's like my low-beams are permanent high-beams. I got them for $650. The 8000k looks awesome, and yeah, its a mix of blue, purple, and white. I have blue neons inside the car, so all the lights are blue (even the turn signals). I'm suprised you guys think that it might worsen my vision at night. All its done is greatly increased it. My father has an SL55 with Bi-xenons and mine are much brighter than his and illuminate the road much more.

Take care
I'm real interested in "what brand". Also, where did you get them. How did decide on the 8000k, vs 6000k? Thanks!