SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: TSB Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slk 230 & CLK500
TSB Question

I have a 05 SLK350 with manual trans. Have been complaining to the dealer that the shifter feels vaque & rubbery. Also shifting it feels at times like it is stuck between 3rd & 5th & 4th & 6th. Also leaving from neutral I have at times got into reverse instead of 1st & it is getting worse. Last time I was there they said they could not duplicate it & nothing wrong. Read the attached link for the tsb for it & went to the dealer with it. Showed them the tsb but they could care less & said they could not duplicate it. I have driven many manual trans so I know how to drive one. They said they will not r & r the transmission. I the tsb it states "if you receive customer reports" but they say unless they see it they will do nothing. What options do I have. My dealer used to be fantastic when they were glauser here in Florida but since they are now Autonation they are horrible. Link for TSB:
TSB Number: P-26-50-02
Title: Manual Trans - First or Reverse Gear Difficult to Engage
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...-02/index.html
Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM

SLK 350
Dead link.....?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:25 PM

Slk 230 & CLK500
Originally Posted by fleep
Dead link.....?
Try this one:
Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Slk 230 & CLK500
I posted again the link but this time it works & it looks the same, go figure.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:33 AM

Slk 230 & CLK500
Spoke with customer service who was completely useless as they said the same story line over & over that dealers are independently owned & MBUSA has no say over them. My dealer says unless they can duplicate the problem they will not fix it but according to the TSB it states if the customer reports but they do not care. I sent a letter certified return receipt to Mr. Juron Manager of Customer Service & the Ernst Lieb President & CEO of MBUSA stating that I will be holding them at fault for failure to rectify a known problem if something should occur such as going backwards at a stoplight when the light turns green & the car behind me starts moving forward as shown by there TSB if an accident occurs. Reason that at times it becomes hard to get into first from neutral & I must apply more pressure on the stick & in doing so I bypass first into reverse. The TSB states a lubrication problem & since I only have 4500 miles on it maybe the part has not worn sufficiently to be there all the time. I also wrote the attorney generals of Florida for the dealer & New Jersey for MBUSA. In any event if you or anyone you know are in the market for a MB avoid Sarasota MB as since they came under the Autonation banner for sales & service they are a place to avoid.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by steve1173
I posted again the link but this time it works & it looks the same, go figure.
first one...
alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...-02/index.html

second one....
alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1164614400000_1166428800000_P-26-50-02/index.html
Old 01-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
I have a 05 SLK350 with manual trans. Have been complaining to the dealer that the shifter feels vaque & rubbery. Also shifting it feels at times like it is stuck between 3rd & 5th & 4th & 6th. Also leaving from neutral I have at times got into reverse instead of 1st & it is getting worse. Last time I was there they said they could not duplicate it & nothing wrong. Read the attached link for the tsb for it & went to the dealer with it. Showed them the tsb but they could care less & said they could not duplicate it. I have driven many manual trans so I know how to drive one. They said they will not r & r the transmission. I the tsb it states "if you receive customer reports" but they say unless they see it they will do nothing. What options do I have. My dealer used to be fantastic when they were glauser here in Florida but since they are now Autonation they are horrible. Link for TSB:
TSB Number: P-26-50-02
Title: Manual Trans - First or Reverse Gear Difficult to Engage
Here’s the deal. When mentioning DTB P-B-26.50/02 NOV06 in accordance with MBUSA do protocol the dealer must confirm that the shifter console is properly adjusted (WIS AR26.60.P.0635-02E) then, if ruled out, proceed to working on the transmission. Did they check your shifter console at all? PM your email address, I may be able to assist.

Spoke with customer service that was completely useless as they said the same story line over & over those dealers are independently owned & MBUSA has no say over them.
Dealerships are MBUSA franchises and MBUSA does, in fact, have a say over them!

I sent a letter certified return receipt to Mr. Juron Manager of Customer Service & the Ernst Lieb President & CEO of MBUSA stating that I will be holding them at fault for failure to rectify a known problem if something should occur such as going backwards at a stoplight when the light turns green & the car behind me starts moving forward as shown by there TSB if an accident occurs.
WRONG move! Rather you should have made an effort to have your area MBUSA Service Parts and Operations Manager (SPOM) get involved. If the dealership was uncooperative in making this happen you could have simply contacted the Customer Assistance Center (CAC) and they would have alerted the SPOM to contact you or the dealer’s Service Director/Manager.

I also wrote the attorney generals of Florida for the dealer & New Jersey for MBUSA.
The FL AG will prompt the dealer to take action – in time. Possibly the NJ AG will prompt MBUSA intervention - questionable.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:00 PM

Slk 230 & CLK500
The dealer as far as I know has not checked the shifter according to the directions on the TSB, they say unless they can duplicate the problem they will not do it also they say the TSB does not deal with what I have, but reading it is the same problem I have. Since they became an Autonation dealership they are horrible in sales & service.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:52 PM

Slk 230 & CLK500
I spoke with my service advisor about contacting the (SPOM) MBUSA Service Parts and Operations Manager he got back to me after checking with his managers & they said they made their decision & that was that. I tried calling customer service but they are closed today.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
I spoke with my service advisor about contacting the (SPOM) MBUSA Service Parts and Operations Manager he got back to me after checking with his managers & they said they made their decision & that was that. I tried calling customer service but they are closed today.
Check PM
Old 02-09-2007, 08:30 AM

Slk 230 & CLK500
Received the replies, the dealer will do nothing to fix the problem & MBUSA also will not authorize it. They refused to perform the TSB to start the process of fixing it due to the fact that the factory rep could not duplicate the problem during his 10 minute ride. They claim the tech at the dealer SARASOTA Mercedes Benz also could not duplicate it. This is the same tech who fixed the rattles in the car then took it for a test drive & said no more problem. I took it for a drive with the factory rep & he heard the rattles so I can not believe the tech did not duplicate the transmission issue. Getting out of the car the factory rep had a problem as the door was binding which aslo was not repaired but the tech did not fix this also. You can't beleive anything form Sarasota Mercedes Benz. I wrote to Ernst Lieb Pres. & CEO no response, wrote to Paul Juron Gen Mgr customer service who wrote back no problem found but if you have one contact the dealer. Mercedes is not what it used to be especially some of the dealers. To avoid problems deal with a reputable dealer for service work & to buy from. Sarasota MB does not fall into this category. I remember when having a Mercedes was something special where you were treated accordingly, I guess that is still possible with the right dealership & sarasota is not one of them.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:49 PM

05 SLK 350, 97 S420, 92 Jeep, 04 Kia, 28 Ford Tudor, 51 Ford F3, 01 Harley, 03 Harley
I remember when having a Mercedes was something special where you were treated accordingly, I guess that is still possible with the right dealership & sarasota is not one of them.
Seems to be a trend. Honolulu has Fletcher, same type of who cares attitude and even after several notes, posting on Rate a Dealer, letters, etc, etc.... NOTHING in response.
But I get a post card telling me they hope I am happy with the service, phone calls asking how good they were and after I tell them they were bad she asks me to rate them outstanding with the national survey...
Old 02-10-2007, 08:09 AM

Slk 230 & CLK500
Yes Mercedes does not care much anymore for the customers. Some will deny this for the status of owning a Mercedes. My friend has an 86 E300, quality of the car is different as night & day to the present. Back then when you went for service you were treated as a Rolls owner but now some dealers consider you in the Yugo class, go to any Autonation dealership & you will see. Sarasota MB before they became under the autonation umbrella was a 1st class dealership now if you are smart & need a new MB or need service do yourself a favor & look elsewhere. Not that MB is the way it used to be but they are the worst of the lot. If you have a problem with Sarasota don't look for MBUSA for assistance as none of them will not only not help but not even reply to you. That includes the Pres/Ceo, VP of sales. I did get a reply form gm customer service saying that if you have a problem the dealer is there to help you. What a shame the way MB went & some of the dealers who sell & service them. There are still some good MB dealers out there, so buy and service from them, remember Sarasota MB is not one of them but if you are unsure try them so you can see for yourself. Mine went in for a rattle besides the trans problem, tech said rattle fixed. Went for a ride with the MB rep & rattle still there as well as the binding drivers door the tech said was okay.