SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Need advice on buying SLK 280 (UK)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220
Need advice on buying SLK 280 (UK)

I have just been to my local MB dealer and I have decided to buy a SLK 280. The dealer currently has 2 vehicles in transit (both obviously 07 models, fresh from the factory). I need the car ASAP and these are the only two available for May, ordering will be July delivery earliest. I need your advice on both cars: If it's a good deal, which one would you go for, and any other owner knowledge would be much appreciated.

SLK 280 Benitoite Blue Metalic, Grey leather - £38,735 OTR

Extras:

17' Alloy wheels (10 Spoke)
Cupholder
Telephone pre-wiring with hands free
Airscarf
7G-Tronic Auto with tipfunction
Cockpit management & navigation
Heated front seats
Remote control roof operation

OR

SLK 280 Iridium Silver Metalic, Red leather - £37,660 OTR

Parktronic
Rain Sensing Wipers
17' Alloy wheels (5 Spoke)
Telephone pre-wiring with hands free
Airscarf
7G-Tronic Auto with tipfunction
Electric folding mirrors
Heated front seats

Both clearly have pros and cons, and the price difference, while a factor is not majorly important to me.

Opinions please!

Many thanks,

Dean
Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
I would settle for Benotite blue as I am in love with that colour, very elegant
Old 05-05-2007, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by alroumi
I would settle for Benotite blue as I am in love with that colour, very elegant
yeah, same here, and it's going to be rare compared to the silver.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:30 PM

C220
Likewise, i am very fond of that colour over the silver, but what do you think about the extras? Which car has the better spec and are both cars priced fairly?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
I prefer the silver's options, parktronic can come in handy for parallel parking, rain sensors works like it should, I prefer the five spokes wheels over the 10 spoke, the folding mirrors are good to tight spaces.

The blue one has cupholders, that's a cheap modifications, I don't care for the Nav, think Merc's Nav is stone age technology compared to other brands. The remote roof operation is useless.

I would still picked the blue one b/c of the rare exterior colour.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:13 PM

C220
Thanks for your posts Ynot, its either the blue purely on the colour, or the silver for everything else! Moneys not too much of an issue, but then again 1k more purely for a different colour ! Anymore opinions would be much appreciated, the dealer is calling for a decision thursday.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Heya Dean

I heard the SatNav was cack on the MBs in the UK(just hearsay from the boards), so not much of a bonus. Agree with Ynot regarding the cupholder and remote control roof operation(completely useless, I have it on mine, and you'll look like a muppet using it - add the Piecha varioroof module ASAP instead). Both have airscarf and heated seats so thats good. My car came with the telephone pre-wired and I've never used it..mainly because the cradle itself cost an extra 400(Aussie), and it only works with certain phones(a small list,...no idea why they didn't just make it straight bluetooth, and any phone with bluetooth will work with it). Think in the UK, the MBs are fitted with UHI rather than MHI in the states, and MHI can get a puck with bluetooth, but I'm not aware of a UHI bluetooth puck.

My assessment between those two cars would be it comes down to the color(the blue looks pretty nice, and silver is one of the "traditional" MB colors, so its a toss up there), the wheels(personal preference here would be the 10 spoke, but thats all subjective), and the additional options on the silver(parktronic,rain wipers, and electrical mirrors...all of which I don't use). I would probably go with the Blue.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:40 AM

C220
In your honest opinion do you think i am getting a good deal for those prices on both cars? Do you think the dealer will budge on the prices? Any previous experience etc?

I am trading in a freelander sport (offered me £7k yesterday after previously being offer £11k 2 months ago from the same dealership! Im hoping for £11k or ill sell it privately!

Thanks
Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Benitoite (Caspian blue in N.America) blue FTW, but I am biased *L*. Both cars are nicely equipped, including the airscarf/heated seats. You'll be surprised how those two items greatly extend top down driving - in conditions you wouldn't even consider in other convertibles. I can't comment on pricing and what makes a good deal in GB, but I would think the general rule of thumb in that spring/summer is a harder time to knock down dealer pricing for this type of car than fall/winter. Good luck, you can't go wrong with either car!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
To be honest, The Silver one has better options