SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: MTEC 6000K HIDs installed 2006 SLK No Warnings Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
MTEC 6000K HIDs installed 2006 SLK No Warnings Lots of Pics

Well, since I bought the SLK350 a couple years ago, the only option it came without was the Lighting Xenons, and I thought I would not miss it but I did!
Picked up the MTEC kit last week and did the installation today. Super-easy install, no extra resistor required and no lamp warning message. Took 3-4 hours total,
however I did one side in the morning, watched House MD all afternoon (was too hot in the sun), and did the other side in the evening.

Firstly, thanks to ghostdunks from benzworld forums, used his install pics.
Here is a link to his thread : http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171...-r171-slk.html
However, I thought I'd post my own with some of my own observations.

Kit is $270 shipped 3 day fedex from ebay.
Also replaced the Parking Light bulbs and the Foglamp bulbs with 6500k halogens.

Pic of the Mtec Kit:-

Although ghostdunks did this install without jacking up the car, I prefer getting the wheel out of the way,
gave much more room to work with....

Screws to be removed are shown below. 7&8 are underneath the car.

Stock halogen removed:-

Parking bulb removed:-

The rentention clip, the mtec bulbs are slightly larger, so it had to be modifed.

Dremeled out a bit of the retention clip to fit the mtec bulb:-

Stock Foglamp vs MTEC Super White 2x Halogen 9004 Bulb:-

Stock Parking bulb vs 4300K Raybrig Wedge bulb:-

Foglamp housing:-

HID bulb cover with grommet installed:-

Mtec Ballast mounted in the same location suggested by ghostdunks, underneath the plastic:-

Zoomed out picture of mounting the ballast:-

Stock left side, Replaced HID and bulbs on the right:-

Stock:-

HIDS+parking+foglamp:

All Done, Parking Lights only:-

Parking Lights and Foglamps on:-

HIDS and Foglamps:-

Closeup:-

Light Projection :- Messy garage:- (i know i know i need to clean up !!!)

The Kit is awesome and I am really happy with the results. Thanks Ghostdunks.

Last edited by blackcls63; 09-16-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice detail pics THANKS for sharing! i dont have hid, so considering
Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM

07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
i can send u links to buy any of that stuff... its easy (do it!)
Old 09-17-2007, 11:54 PM

SLK R171
What component did you attach onto the HID kit in order to eliminate the ECU check. I tried to install the prolumens 55w HID kit for my low beam and fogs, it worked while the car was off, however, once I started my car the ecu must of sent a test charge and noticed a difference resistance. Thus cutting out the HIDs. If you can tell me what component to purchase, or what came with your mtec kit that bypassed the check I would appreciate it.

:edit: I own a 06 Slk R171
Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 AM

07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
Originally Posted by Babietwinsue
Thus cutting out the HIDs. If you can tell me what component to purchase, or what came with your mtec kit that bypassed the check I would appreciate it.

:edit: I own a 06 Slk R171
thats why the mtec costs $100 more... it has that stuff built in....
if you buy the cheaper 150$ kits you will have to do some resistor splicing etc...

mtec makes these kits for mercedes with that issue in mind...
Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 AM

SLK R171
Thats interesting as I have done some research into the voltage resistance that is keeping the ECU from recognizing the HIDs. So far this has been the cheapest alternative to the kit you purchased on email. I don't know about their warranty but prolumens isn't a cheap kit and they offer lifetime warranty, that was why I decided to purchase their kit along with this adapter from stealthauto, a sponsor on this forum.

Anti-Flicker control -
http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...__HID-CAP.aspx

Excuse the ghetto PS skill
As far as I can tell, the ballast is usually directly connected onto the HID bulb (as denoted by the small red circle). The mtech kit just includes the additional adapter denoted with the bigger red circle. That is the adapter I am purchasing from stealthauto to correct the ECU voltage check.

Last edited by Babietwinsue; 09-18-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 PM

07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
well u definitely have more electrical knowledge to delve that deep... i just found a kit that works without hassles!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 PM

SLK R171
Hehe, I'm still waiting from stealthauto to reply back with a shipping confirmation. Once I get the HID working, if at all possible with the anti-flicker control I'll post up some pictures and recommend members with this cheaper alternative.

Originally Posted by wannabuyane63
well u definitely have more electrical knowledge to delve that deep... i just found a kit that works without hassles!
Unfortunately this info came from my bf and not from me, I just wanted to help him find some alternatives. He's the one that suggested the stealthauto and explained to me why it didn't work the first time. But if it doesn't work, he's going to get it
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 PM

this is what I posted for someone else who was getting bulb out/flickering on their fog lights and might be applicable to you:

how did you wire up the HID foglights?

I'm guessing that you connected them direct to the battery, and used a relay triggered by the original fog lights wire? Reason why I guess this is because looking at your ballast, its one of the high power ones(50w as opposed to 35w for standard HIDs), and if you connected the ballasts directly to the fog lights wire, you won't be getting the bulb out warning OR the flashing. This is because the stock halogen bulbs are drawing 55w, and if your HIDs are drawing 50w, that difference won't be enough to trigger the bulb out warnings/flashing. In fact, 35w is probably enough to not cause it, speaking from personal experience, when I swapped my halogen H7s from my low beams to HIDs, I connected it straight(NOT using relays) to the existing headlight wire, and it worked fine without needing any settings to be changed on the gateway/SDS/etc to tell it to expect less current, and I didn't get warnings/strobing

If you did use the relays(and direct connection to battery) to connect the fog lights, then this is what is happening:
1. When youn turn your fog lights on using the switch, the power is flowing from the SAM to the fog light wire
2. The power in the fog light wire triggers the relay, which then sends power from the battery direct to the HID fog light
3. Unfortunately, if all the fog light wire is doing is to trigger the relay, then its not drawing enough power, which flags to the SLK computer, that a bulb must be out, which is why it triggers the warning message. Along with the warning message, it starts strobing the power to the fog light wire, which in turn strobes the relay switch, which in turn strobes your HIDs = not good.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:48 AM

SLK R171
Interesting information and I will relay it to my BF when he is attempting the install. Once the sponsor stealthauto decides to reply back with an update to the shipping status that is. So far they haven't replied to my pm on this forum or email and their "contact" link is broken. With no phone number available for direct contact I don't know how else I can get a hold of them. Anyone have ideas?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:53 PM

SLK 350
i can send u links to buy any of that stuff... its easy (do it!)

Would you be able to PM me the information?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 PM

SLK 350
I am just checking on the MTEC kit from ebay. there is a sellering mentioned that there are fake on the market.
I thought there are all made in china anyway?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 PM

07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
Originally Posted by lucky6600
I am just checking on the MTEC kit from ebay. there is a sellering mentioned that there are fake on the market.
I thought there are all made in china anyway?
they are made in taiwan. do not get the china ones, they are fake.
here is the seller I bought from

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTHE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-16-2007, 11:31 PM

SLK 350
they are made in taiwan. do not get the china ones, they are fake.
here is the seller I bought from

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTHE...QQcmdZViewItem
Guess what?
After 280 USD and 4 hours of work, HID has done. As you said, it worth any single cents. The car gains at least 5k more for value just looking at the head light.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:26 AM
-1-

SLK55///AMG The MONSTER on the block
Good job with the installation and especially with the documentation and photos. Just curious, your front bumper shows the factory HID washer covers. New bumper?
Attached Thumbnails MTEC 6000K HIDs installed 2006 SLK No Warnings Lots of Pics-pic14.jpg  
Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 PM

SLK 350
Originally Posted by -1-
Good job with the installation and especially with the documentation and photos. Just curious, your front bumper shows the factory HID washer covers. New bumper?

ya... not until you mentioned that !! maybe that's why I can't find the place for the ballast.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:21 AM

good job lucky...I love reading HID installs!