SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Big performance advantage from 7G auto!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
987S
Big performance advantage from 7G auto!

Info from Autospies (sorry if this is old news!) suggests that the auto box will be much faster than the manual when overtaking:

"From a standing start, the SLK 350 reaches 100 km/h in just 5.6 seconds (with the 7G-TRONIC: 5.5 seconds) and accelerates from 60 to 120 km/h in 8.7 seconds (with the 7G-TRONIC: 5.1 seconds). "

Can the auto really be 3.6 seconds faster in the 60-120kph dash than the manual?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:08 AM

987S
Guess this is old news?

I'm just surprised that the auto could cut off such a big chunk of time when compared to the manual box!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
Mercedes-benz is >>>

Known that it has the best of the best automatic gearbox in the world, this why all AMG cars are Auto(semi auto)....
Old 05-10-2004, 09:01 AM

987S
I'm sure the 7G and other AMG auto boxes are great but I thought the main reason for AMG only having autos is that MB haven't been able to build a manual to take the huge torque that AMG engines produce!

Given the choice I'd much rather have a manual than a semi auto because changing gear is part of the fun of driving..... I'm just hoping that the 7G on the 55 is good enough that I won't miss a manual box.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:42 AM

SLK55 AMG
wow, driven alot of cars!

which one was your favourite? ( production car)
Old 05-10-2004, 09:44 AM

SLK55 AMG
smg m3

what was your impressions about the smg m3?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:46 AM

987S
Re: wow, driven alot of cars!

Originally posted by SLK55_AMG
which one was your favourite? ( production car)
Best overall Ferrari 355 F1
Best cruiser SL55 AMG
Best track car Formula Palmer Audi (single seater with slicks and wings that has a power to weight ratio of 600bhp/ton!)..... as quick as a McLaren F1
Old 05-10-2004, 10:14 AM

SLK55 AMG
Thanks maaan..

Old 05-10-2004, 10:15 AM

987S
Re: smg m3

Originally posted by SLK55_AMG
what was your impressions about the smg m3?
The M3 was very good, extremely quick with good handling and brakes..... BUT the SMG semi auto was a bit crap...... it was very jerky when changing gears which made the car difficult to drive smoothly. Unfortunately being a BMW it also attracted alot of negative reactions from other road users..... I only had one on loan for a couple of days but I lost count of the number of times people shouted abuse or gave me the finger (and I wasn't driving agressively!)..... so I'd never have one.

The Boxster suffered similar abuse (but not as bad) with people being jealous..... I only get positive coments while out in the S2000 so I'm hoping the SLK will be similar?!
Old 05-10-2004, 02:07 PM

SL500
UKSLK55

Tests of in gear times are usually in one gear for manuals and use kickdown in autos - hence why Autos often seem much faster than their manual counterparts. The 60-120kph time for the manual is probably only in top (5 or6th) gear. When you think about it its a meaningless comparison as in both cases you want to floor the throttle. It should be a test of mid range punch, and how well the car will accelerate in gear, but for autos its a bit pointless.

PS I had an E46 M3 for 6 months, and thought that the SMG gearbox was fantastic. You do need to get used to it, but once you do its great. I sometimes wonder how long jornos who dismiss SMG type boxes have actually spent driving them and properly getting used to how to drive them smoothly. The SMGII M3 can certainly be driven quickly and smoothly, it just takes practice, and a certain technique to lift off slightly during up changes. Also, I never had any negative reactions in mine, or in any car for that matter - perhaps its how you drive, rather than what you drive.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:39 PM

987S
Originally posted by NastyAluQuadra
UKSLK55

Tests of in gear times are usually in one gear for manuals and use kickdown in autos - hence why Autos often seem much faster than their manual counterparts. The 60-120kph time for the manual is probably only in top (5 or6th) gear. When you think about it its a meaningless comparison as in both cases you want to floor the throttle. It should be a test of mid range punch, and how well the car will accelerate in gear, but for autos its a bit pointless.

PS I had an E46 M3 for 6 months, and thought that the SMG gearbox was fantastic. You do need to get used to it, but once you do its great. I sometimes wonder how long jornos who dismiss SMG type boxes have actually spent driving them and properly getting used to how to drive them smoothly. The SMGII M3 can certainly be driven quickly and smoothly, it just takes practice, and a certain technique to lift off slightly during up changes. Also, I never had any negative reactions in mine, or in any car for that matter - perhaps its how you drive, rather than what you drive.
I assumed that the figures quoted comparing the manual to 7G 60-120kph times were in the best gear for both...... if you are right and it was comparing 6th gear in the manual against kick down in the 7G it is as you say completely meaningless!...... but that could explain the difference!.

Where in Euroland are you?...... I'm based in London and the M3 got a huge amount of flak...... I didn't drive it any more spiritedly than my S2000 but still got loads of grief...... and I've NEVER had any trouble with the Honda (in two years) even though its nearly as quick and much louder.

You're right about learning to drive the SMG smoothly...... by the end of the time I had with it I had realised that it didn't like flat throttle shifts and that you had to lift off as you would in a manual.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:04 PM

SL500
Thats exactly it. The SMG is jerky if you don't lift off during normal upshifts (though its OK not to lift off for full throttle S6 changes at the red line ).

What always makes me chuckle is that manuals require just the same finesse to change smoothly - jornos don't say, "oh this manual is rubbish you have to lift off when changing gear", and yet any SMG type box requiring some throttle skill is somehow bollocks.

I'm in the south west at the moment - ooo arr.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:51 PM

987S
Originally posted by NastyAluQuadra
Thats exactly it. The SMG is jerky if you don't lift off during normal upshifts (though its OK not to lift off for full throttle S6 changes at the red line ).

What always makes me chuckle is that manuals require just the same finesse to change smoothly - jornos don't say, "oh this manual is rubbish you have to lift off when changing gear", and yet any SMG type box requiring some throttle skill is somehow bollocks.

I'm in the south west at the moment - ooo arr.
South West...... aalright mi luver yes you should be ok down there..... but don't come up here in an M3 unless you want agro. Its a real shame but in London having a nice car (or at least cars that most people recognise as costing a bit) only seems to result in jealous reactions....... I took the M3 down to Dorset (my folks live there) and didn't have any bother so maybe its just a London problem!?