SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: SLK55 or 2005 Boxster S???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55 or 2005 Boxster S???

I am going to pull the trigger and buy either an SLK55 or 2005 Boxster S in the next week or so. Help me decide!!!

Thanks,

Scott
Old 02-05-2005, 07:07 PM

2005 SLK350, Mars Red - Tan Interiors
Insurance may help with decision

Unless anual costs are not a factor for you, be sure to get a quote from your insurance agent on both cars. For me, insuring the Boxster was literally three times the cost of the SLK. And I have a perfect driving record. Difference may be due to theft or collision repair experience.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Car and Driver just did a test on four convertables. (Vol 50, NO. 9 March 2005). It has the Chevrolet Corvette C6, Mercedes Benz SLK 350 (they wanted and requested to get a SLK 55 AMG, but the 55 AMG was still being shipped over the Atlantic, so Mercedes gave them a 350) Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 (Chrysler is the biggest loser car company out there, they can't make their own engines, they got those Hemi's and now in the Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 it has the SLK 32 AMG engine in it), and the 2005 Porsche Boxster S. The 1st place winner was the Boxster S, but remember they did not have SLK 55 AMG. They reported that the Boxster S has a 0 to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds. Fast but not as fast as the SLK 55 AMG. I have the SLK 55 AMG and it goes 0 to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds with ESP on. ESP makes the car go slower, its stability and brakes that interfer with your driving, but you can turn it off.

SLK 350 AND SLK 55 AMG CAR AND DRIVER LINK

CAR AND DRIVER LINK, LITTLE DESCRIPTION OF BOXSTER AND BOXSTER S

Last edited by Deuce; 02-05-2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:48 PM

slk 350
It seems odd that both Car and Driver and Road and Track compared the slk350 to the Boxster s. I guess it's due to availability. A fairer comparison would be the slk55. Since there haven't been any head to head comparison that I've seen, just check them both out. I personally look at the whole picture, not just track results. The look of the slk just does it for me. I've never loved the look of the Porsche. The back end always looked like a hoover. The new design is handsome but just too much like every other year for my taste. The interior of the Porsche, though better, still seems a little blah. That's just my opinion anyway. For me, for that kind of money, I gotta love everything, the way it drives, the way it looks and the way it makes me feel when I'm in it. And don't forget the hard top convertible. Looks much better with the top up IMO. But I would drive them both. The Porsche is a hell of a performer and that might be enough to do it for you. Or you might like the look and feel of the Porsche. It just wasn't for me.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:08 PM

I wish you could get the SLK55 with a manual transmission. That would make my decision much easier.... I drove the Boxster S today and was very impressed. The fit and finish on the car is considerably better than the last generation. The cars also handles and brakes like a dream. I haven't been able to drive the SLK55 yet.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:55 AM

Scott (and others),

Please post your location as it can greatly influence responses that members give you on a variety of subjects.

Mel
Old 02-06-2005, 12:31 PM

987S
I've driven both the SLK55 (4 days and 300 miles) and the new Boxster S (2 days and about 250 miles)......

It depends what you really want out of the car...... if you want something thats exclusive, stupidly fast in a straight line, versatile and reasonably practical go for the SLK55.

If you prefer something with fanastic dynamics and cornering ability and really like a manual gearbox the Boxster S may be better for you.

I loved the SLK55 BUT hated the auto box it spoilt the driving experience for me....... when I go for a spirited drive I want to be fully in control of the car...... even in manual mode the AMG auto box failed to change gear quickly enough for my liking, it also changes up mid corner and doesn't allow smooth down changes...... finally the car I had got confused at least twice once it didn't know what to do...... when I was cruising along in 7th I had a good space to overtake somebody so put my foot down...... the car went to change down but instead it went into neutral and span the engine for a few seconds before eventually slotting into 5th gear with a big clunk...... not good.

If you don't mind autos you'll love the AMG.

I've ordered the new Boxster S...... and I won't be racing any SLK55s away from traffic lights because I KNOW I will loose big time!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:03 PM

SL500 '05
Get SLK, I had one for a week and loved it.
A great head turner, you'll never look back.
The boxster isn't special enough IMO
Old 02-10-2005, 07:02 AM

SLK 55 AMG
If you want a powerful manual car, don't bother with the MB's. At least not yet. Maybe in the future AMG will begin selling their cars with manuals for those people who want them.

I like manual, but I'm also lazy at times, so the 55 auto box is just fine for me.

I'm definitely not a fan of Porsches, even if I do admit they are good cars (I've driven several Porsches, including a Boxster S), and whilst they are undoubtedly good cars, comfy and all that, I just didn't get the trill I do when I drive an MB.

After a day of driving, when I step out of my MB, I look back at it and smile. It's one of those 'fetish' things I guess

But you should get what you like the most. Drive 'em both, and if you can live with a power auto with a hard top vario roof, the SLK is your car. If you want a soft top car with a manual, you have more then your fair share of choice. I'd personally get a Miata, Z4 or S2000 over a Boxster. They give me more thrill, and I think they look better. But this is just my opinion, I'm not saying the Boxster is ugly, it's not just not my taste. Even the interior is just so-so in my books.

But if you gave me the car, I'd still take it
Old 02-11-2005, 01:08 AM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
Boxster S all the way..if only i had the patience to wait 2 more monthes i could of got a S...but then again i saved myslef 20,000 o well im loving the porsche experience S or not.

SLK AMG is a monster and has that horrible nose to prove it!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:11 AM
Almost a Member!

'05 SLK350
i use to hate the nose too...but for some reason now i like it. i think it grew on me. by the way, i read many posts from you about how much your boxster is better than the slk. if so, why are you still constantly browsing this forum? is it just for the purpose of putting slk owners down?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because he is trying very hard to brainwash himself (and prove to everyone on the board) that he has made a right decision of buying a Boxster over a SLK.

Not only do I think a SLK is a much better choice than a Boxster, I would rather put money on at least three other cars (S4 conv., TT, M3) before even consider a Boxster S. To pay so much money for a car (non-S) with a weak engine, weak torque, slow acceleration is Having said that, I respect everyone's decision on their purchase.

Last edited by Harris; 02-11-2005 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:10 AM

Perhaps he has some doubts about his decision and is trying to convince himself that he made the right choice.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:07 AM

04 M3, 05 R1
55 all the way baby!

you can't forget about the MB Pimp factor.

Porsche = i have a small *****.
MB = i bought my wife. (my choice) lol

Last edited by termigni; 02-11-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:15 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
No I cancelled a SLK350 delivery in November and didnt know what i wanted after that, i went from a range rover, to an M3 then to a 911(997) and then for soem reason i bought the boxster( the 1st day it was in thh showroom) when i went to go order the 911.

I'm not here to put down SLK owners infact the car grew on me these last couple monthes i been seeing them all over and they actually are pretty nice i wouldnt have regretted owning one as much as much as i thought i would before. Infact by now i would have had a black one with a brabus body kit and 19 " rims lowered. Which woulda looked really pimp.

But as a Porsche owner i must stick by my car and im just telling my impressions of why i love the porsche better then the SLK.

I dont mean to be a troll infact i really do enjoy this site then any other i found thats why i stick around even though i have no more benz.
hope you dont mind.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 AM

'03 BMW 330i ZHP / '06 Volvo V70R
Originally Posted by Harris
...I would rather put money on at least three other cars (S4 conv., TT, M3) before even consider a Boxster S. To pay so much money for a car (non-S) with a weak engine, weak torque, slow acceleration is Having said that, I respect everyone's decision on their purchase.
This post just shows why MB will never offer a MT AMG car.

To say you'd rather get an M3 cabrio over a Boxster S is ridiculous. A Boxster S is a sports car. An M3 cabrio is a GT.

In case you don't know, a Boxster S is about 3000lbs, an M3 cabrio is about 3800lbs. A Boxster S has almost as much torque as an M3 yet it weighs 800lbs less. And A Boxster S is MUCH faster than an M3 and would kick the crap out of it in every performance category.

Educate yourself about performance. Look at a Lotus Elise. It has 189hp, but because it weighs 2000lbs, it beats EVERY car being discussed here.

If you want to drive a sharp car with lots of luxuries and a strong engine, the SLK is by far the winner. If you want to have FUN while driving, the Boxster S wins.

Now, between a manual SLK350 (with sport suspension) and a Base Boxster S the decision is trickier. If cost were not an option, I'd take the Boxter, but for several thousand less (especially with ED) you get a pretty fast car with TONS more stuff than the Boxster S, while still getting a manual tranny in the SLK.

That is a thougher choice. It all comes down to which one you like more when you drive them.

Last edited by mbr129; 02-16-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:15 PM

2005 SLK350
I know this is coming from an MB publication, but I think it might be worth mentioning. In the MBUSA Training and Education Newsline 2004, Volume 4, Issue 3 (Read that as "MB Salespeople Training"), it compares the 350 with the Boxster S (along with the TT and Z4 3.0i, but neither seem significant in this post).

According to page 27, the 350 (NOT the 55!) has a 0-60 of 5.5, while it lists the Boxster S at 5.7 manual and 6.4 auto. Of the listed categories (and I'm sure they were selective to make themselves look good), the Boxster S didn't outperform the SLK anywhere. Granted, they didn't talk about handling and over all solidity, which are hard to quantify anyway. The SLK outguns all the cars in the comparison in hp, torque, and 0-60, but weighed in at the second heaviest (just lighter than the TT, of course).

I'd already made my decision and put my money down when my sales rep gave me the training manual, but I have to admit it did make me feel better about committing to a $53,000 car sight unseen...

Bottom line, my opinion, the Porsche probably handles a little better. In a quarter mile strip race, the winner would probably be determined by the drivers, not the cars. In a track race, the Porsche would probably destroy the SLK. But honestly, how many of us will ever do either? I'll run mine at the strip occasionally where something has to go terribly wrong for it to even get a scratch, but track racing? Not only is the Boxster S about $8k more, but I have to admit that I like the hard top. No noise, and no replacing the damned thing every seven or eight years.

The Boxster S is really the only true competition for the SLK in the price range, and it is a very respectable decision. You can't go wrong either way. I do feel like I made the right choice for my wants and needs with the SLK.

Last edited by wil_sutton; 02-16-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:27 PM

987S
Originally Posted by wil_sutton
I know this is coming from an MB publication, but I think it might be worth mentioning. In the MBUSA Training and Education Newsline 2004, Volume 4, Issue 3 (Read that as "MB Salespeople Training"), it compares the 350 with the Boxster S (along with the TT and Z4 3.0i, but neither seem significant in this post).

According to page 27, the 350 (NOT the 55!) has a 0-60 of 5.5, while it lists the Boxster S at 5.7 manual and 6.4 auto. Of the listed categories (and I'm sure they were selective to make themselves look good), the Boxster S didn't outperform the SLK anywhere. Granted, they didn't talk about handling and over all solidity, which are hard to quantify anyway. The SLK outguns all the cars in the comparison in hp, torque, and 0-60, but weighed in at the second heaviest (just lighter than the TT, of course).

I'd already made my decision and put my money down when my sales rep gave me the training manual, but I have to admit it did make me feel better about committing to a $53,000 car sight unseen...

Bottom line, my opinion, the Porsche probably handles a little better. In a quarter mile strip race, the winner would probably be determined by the drivers, not the cars. In a track race, the Porsche would probably destroy the SLK. But honestly, how many of us will ever do either? I'll run mine at the strip occasionally where something has to go terribly wrong for it to even get a scratch, but track racing? Not only is the Boxster S about $8k more, but I have to admit that I like the hard top. No noise, and no replacing the damned thing every seven or eight years.

The Boxster S is really the only true competition for the SLK in the price range, and it is a very respectable decision. You can't go wrong either way. I do feel like I made the right choice for my wants and needs with the SLK.
I suspect those Porsche figures are for the 986 Boxster S..... the new 987S 0-62mph is 5.5 sec and 0-100mph in 12.3 sec..... the auto is slow but anyone that buys a Boxster and pays to cripple it with a crap auto should be taken outside and shot
Old 02-16-2005, 04:40 PM

'03 BMW 330i ZHP / '06 Volvo V70R
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
I suspect those Porsche figures are for the 986 Boxster S..... the new 987S 0-62mph is 5.5 sec and 0-100mph in 12.3 sec..... the auto is slow but anyone that buys a Boxster and pays to cripple it with a crap auto should be taken outside and shot
Amen.

Also, I was not implying that the 987S beats the crap out of the SLK350, but rather the three options given (E46 M3 cabrio, S4 cabrio, and TT). Finally, the Boxster S is not meant to drag race, its handling is its greatest virtue.

But I certainly take my hat off to MB for the new SLK350.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:20 PM

Boxster987 C230KSS M3
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
the auto is slow but anyone that buys a Boxster and pays to cripple it with a crap auto should be taken outside and shot
This is what I said 5 years ago, and you obviously are not familiar with Tiptronic.
Tiptronic is FASTER 99% of real life. It has been proven in steet and even track so many times. I wouldn't take auto SLK over manual, but I'd take tiptronic 987S over manual anytime. So much for internet expert & wisdom.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:13 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 262 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by mbr129
And A Boxster S is MUCH faster than an M3 and would kick the crap out of it in every performance category.

I don't think so...
Old 02-24-2005, 03:45 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by mbr129
And A Boxster S is MUCH faster than an M3 and would kick the crap out of it in every performance category.
There are a couple of German web sites which record best lap times at Hockenheim and the 'Ring. Maybe you need to go here:

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp

and click "Tracktest".

The times for the short circuit at Hockenheim are:

Boxster S 1 minute 18.3
E46 M3 cabrio 1 minute 17.2

This is not the latest model, but obviously it had some catching up to do, anyway. There are some other times in the single test category, but none specifically for the M3 Cabrio. However, the M3 coupe was 14 seconds faster round the Nurburgring than the Boxster S. The Boxster S is well balanced and quick, but it's no 911. And the M3 is very good and should not be underestimated.

If you go here:

http://speed.supercars.net/PitLane?v...ID=0&tID=10306

The best time for a standard M3 is 1 min 16.3 secs, the latest Boxster S 1 min 15.7 secs. That doesn't equate to 'MUCH faster' in my book. An M3 CSL clocked 1 minute 13.5 seconds.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
btw, with regards to one of the posts above regarding AMG's auto box, i am absolutely sure that the auto does NOT upshift in mid-corner. you need to set it to Manual-2 (or something equivalent) mode, where the box will allow the driver full control. even at the redline.
do correct me if i'm wrong :P
Old 02-25-2005, 01:32 PM

987S
Originally Posted by ruykava
btw, with regards to one of the posts above regarding AMG's auto box, i am absolutely sure that the auto does NOT upshift in mid-corner. you need to set it to Manual-2 (or something equivalent) mode, where the box will allow the driver full control. even at the redline.
do correct me if i'm wrong :P
How do you do that then?..... I didn't see a manual-2 option...... just comfort, sport and manual.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:40 PM

2005 Mercedes C-Class
Originally Posted by scott63
I am going to pull the trigger and buy either an SLK55 or 2005 Boxster S in the next week or so. Help me decide!!!

Thanks,

Scott
Take SLK 55 AMG, you have 2 cars in one >>> convertible and coupe...
Its faster than Boxter S, its better, prettier....
Just take SLK55 AMG!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R171: SLK55 or 2005 Boxster S???