SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Cellphone microphone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:01 PM
mnt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cellphone microphone

With everybody's helpful advice, I picked up my SLK350 last weekend, and I am definitely loving it! I had a question about the integrated cellphone though: People talking to me tell me that I sound clear but as if I'm very far away; I tested this and it's true, unless the driver literally puts their mouth up to the microphone by the rearview mirror it comes out very quiet and distant. Is there a way to adjust the volume of the mike, is this a common problem, or is this an issue I have to bring back to the dealer?
Old 02-21-2005, 10:19 AM
mnt

Also, does anyone know if there is voice control/activation available in the SLK? I saw this in the manual, but I don't remember seeing it as an option anywhere when I bought the car...
Old 02-24-2005, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by mnt
Also, does anyone know if there is voice control/activation available in the SLK? I saw this in the manual, but I don't remember seeing it as an option anywhere when I bought the car...
Voice control apparently is not being offered on the 2005 models of R171. You would need to go to someone other than the dealership who is skilled in retrofitting those kinds of things to cars that "should not" have those options.

I think it is a VERY cool feature, and very useful with the telephone option. However, it isn't cheap. And cars that "should not" have those options cost somewhat more for the retrofit because they don't have some of the parts already included in the car.

-s-
Old 02-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Almost a Member!

new bits....

i live in hope that new features can be retrofitted to my 05 slk350 with command - ie voice activation, TMS, tv tuner and even getting bluetooth to actually do something other than auhorise for no apprent reason.

as its a computer thingy i'm hoing my dealer will be able to backwards fit these items as and when they become available. (ie when the marketing department decides interest in the slk is waning a bit...)
Old 02-26-2005, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by jono_2000
i live in hope that new features can be retrofitted to my 05 slk350 with command - ie voice activation, TMS, tv tuner and even getting bluetooth to actually do something other than auhorise for no apprent reason.

as its a computer thingy i'm hoing my dealer will be able to backwards fit these items as and when they become available. (ie when the marketing department decides interest in the slk is waning a bit...)
We can take care of you today with voice activation and TV tuner. One of us is usually in the UK every few months, even.

p.s. Bluetooth is for a headset... it's been covered here numerous times. Do a search and yes you can learn more.

-s-
Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Almost a Member!

ok i'm interested...

certainly a TV would be more useful and voice activation may be fun.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:02 PM
mnt

microphone

Not to be a pain, but I never heard back on my original question (although the voice activation stuff was interesting) - does anyone else have this cellphone microphone problem where you have to seriously raise your voice in order for people to hear you? When I brought it to the dealer they said that it was a "design flaw" and they'd have to wait until Mercedes issued an update to the design...
Old 06-13-2005, 06:24 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Most people agree it is a design flaw. It happens on my car too. I just speak louder.