SLK-Class (R172) 2011-Present SLK200, SLK250, SLK350, and SLK 55

SLK/R172: Cars pulls to the left, MB says it's normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 250 CDI (R172), A180d
Cars pulls to the left, MB says it's normal?

For the last 5 weeks, I've been the owner of a SLK 250CDI (R172); I bought the car with very low mileage and it's still under the manufacturer's warranty.
I noticed that it pulls slightly to the left (something that unfortunately I failed to notice during the test drive). The tyre pressure was OK, so I took it in (different MB dealership - closer to home) and they said it required wheel alignment. After a day and £200 off my pocket, as "it is not covered in the warranty" (still awaiting to be reimbursed from the MB dealership I bought it from), the car was feeling exactly the same.

In the technician's disbelief, I took him for a ride, testing the car on different roads and sides of the road, where he confirmed that it does pull to the left. Another 24hours in the workshop, and they called me today to say that they performed another wheel alignment, it still pulls slightly to the left, but it's normal!!!

When you start moving forward even, at slow speeds, the steering wheel has the tendency to turn slightly to the left and eventually the car follows. In higher speeds this phenomenon is (obviously) stronger if you leave the streering wheel free.

My previous A-class and the courtesy cars I had these days, did not have this problem and I was driving them on the same roads.

I understand the steering wheel is much heavier compared to the A class, as it is hydraulic, rather than electronic assisted but should I expect something like this?

Any response would be much appreciated.

- A disappointed customer -
Old 10-29-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
W213 Night Edition 220d. (ML250 SLK350AMG)
They speak rubbish often.

When i purchased my C Coupe and it kept pulling to the left - like REALLy hard all the time. The sales guy said "oh this is normal for a Merc", which i said "so its normal to promote a car that doesn't drive straight and can cause an accident". I demanded them to do a wheel balance and alignment. This was a brand new car.

They did both and it fixed the issue.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:37 AM

Unfortunately it appears that once they close the deal, this is it; they walk away.

When I went to take the car the second time, they said that the ramp/machine needed calibration etc, and what she meant on the phone with regards to being normal to pull, that would be on camber roads (duh?). The car still doesn't drive on a straight line, but since it's been slightly improved, I won't bother any longer.
Unfortunately, yesterday I had to switch on the heater since it's getting cold in the mornings, to realise that no air comes off the far right vent. 2yo model, 15k miles on and it comes with more issues than my mum's Peugeot!

I've started regretting getting this car and it's more likely to move to another car maker in the future.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:30 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Yes, reason is there is only front and rear Toe (directional) adjustment. OEM there is no "Camber" or "Caster" adjustment facility which is essential to change time contact angles!

CASTERCorrectly resolves steering pull, increases steering response. With better turn in and high speed directional control. Along with anti dive/lift under brake and acceleration.

CAMBER - allowing to actually change the tire contact angles to resolve costly, premature edge tire wear, improving traction / understeer / oversteer.

We saw the need therefore to reinstate from the early '90's full/precise adjustment capability to suit all Mercedes models through to 2017.

The K-MAC patented design provides precise, single wrench adjustment - accurately (under load) direct on alignment rack.

With "Ongoing adjustment" - catering for day to day commuting encountering high cambered roads, altered height through load carrying or lowering. Fitting wide profile tires or curl knock damage.

FIXING IT RIGHT THE 1st TIME - No more the frustration of ongoing trips to dealers, alignment shops where a "Full Front and Rear Wheel Alignment" is this Toe only adjustment. Or going down the path of constantly changing tire brands!

For the front (only) you can fit inaccurate, basic "one offset position" fluted bolts - but they only offer a minimal 0.3 degrees (1/8") change! With K-MAC Front (and Rear) providing 4 times this amount and precisely adjustable!

Extra feature is the front kit replaces the 4 highest wearing bushings and is 2 axis/mono ball (self aligning) without the OEM oil and air voids. Result is noticeably improved brake and steering response.

Rear kit also provides precise Camber adjustment for the first time (and extra Toe adjustment to compensate for the new Camber facility).

Another popular kit manufactured is uprated replacement bushings (12) for the '6' multi link rear arms. Providing significant improvement to rear end stability. Less twitch/flex, improved traction especially when applying power to lane change / overtake.

SLK R172:
Front Camber and Caster kit #502216K $480
Rear Camber (and extra Toe) #502026H $320
Rear Bushing kit (12) for the 6 multi link arms #501528K $480

Delivery one kit $30. Each additional kit $20. PayPal, Visa or MasterCard. Toll Free 1888 414 0762 (24/7) dealer inquires welcome.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:08 AM

K-MAC,

Thank you for the information.

I'm not sure what you mean by "there is no "Camber" or "Caster" adjustment facility" , as from the results of my first visit at MB's workshop (see photo below), they've clearly made corrections to both camber and caster of the wheels?

Old 11-02-2017, 02:10 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by Cirious
K-MAC,

Thank you for the information.

I'm not sure what you mean by "there is no "Camber" or "Caster" adjustment facility" , as from the results of my first visit at MB's workshop (see photo below), they've clearly made corrections to both camber and caster of the wheels?

Owners do wish - but OEM there is no front Camber or Caster and no rear Camber (only front and rear Toe/directional adjustment).

Question to ask is if there was adjustment why did they not restore to Target Data shown.

The minimal increment changes shown is equivalent to moving the steering wheel!
Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 AM

K-Mac,

I'm not a car mechanic, so I'd imagine the alignment is so sensitive hence the tolerance provided in the target values. If there's no such an alignment facility though, how come they measured it in the first place...?
Old 11-02-2017, 08:07 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by Cirious
K-Mac,
how come they measured it in the first place...?
Well what can one say ..... It did mistakenly convince you that Camber and Caster "adjustment" had been carried out !