Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cubanite SLK55AMG
Croc Dundee drives SLK55...

G'day chaps,

I was lucky enough to be flown by AMG in Australia to the combined Press and AMG Owners' launch of the SLK55AMG in mid-March.

Check out the accompanying photos.

Daimler Chrylsler not only paid for flights Sydney to Canberra - but for all food, drink, accom, and of course the schmoozing.

I've owned a black/black SLK32AMG previously and will be taking delivery of a new cubanite silver SLK55AMG in about 10 days time (I've had it on order for 18 months). I got to drive an identical car to mine (see the photos) as well as a black one.

The entire AMG range was present in March for the driving pleasure of the 30 or so AMG owners present and comprised:

SLK55AMG x3 (only 3 in the country at the time)
C55AMG x2
CLK55AMG x3
CLA55AMG x3 (Convertibles)
E55AMG
SL55AMG
CL55AMG
SL65AMG
CL65AMG
S65AMG

You could drive whatever you wanted (this is the 5th drive-the-whole-AMG-range event I've been to so far in 3 years) on Alpine roads. Yes alpine roads do exist Down-Under!

I just want to say guys - I'm a tad disappointed I've not read anywhere in this forum where the SLK55 has been given the credit it rightly deserves..

The SLK55AMG simply kicked the pants off the rest of the range and as an AMG stands UTTERLY ALONE AND OUT IN FRONT BY A COUNTRY MILE! This is the first TRUE sports car that Benz has made since the racier versions of the 300SL in the mid-fifties! All since have been getting fatter, duller, and more blunted as their owners aged and their waistlines grew. Benz actually had to BUY OTHER COMPANIES (AMG & a good chunk of McLaren) to reinvent the sportscars it made all on it's own a half-century ago!

The SLK32AMG was damn quick (almost the same as the 55 in a drag-race) but understeered as badly as it's 1990 C-class 'mother' - melting it's front tyres after 2 laps on a track and had a control-freak of a transmission that was hard to out-smart, awfully intrusive ESP, and an interior that vied with a 1954 300SL's for modernity.

If the Good Professor from Stuttgart had read my mind about what the SLK32 needed fixing he couldn't have done a better job with this new car!

The styling is gob-smacking - simply the best visually balanced car of the last 20 years bar none. From the gentle curves and muscular bulges to the nice-touches like the gills - the car is a delight to behold from ANY angle. An SLK350 would go unnoticed standing side-by-side a 55. No other AMG-styling package does so much for the model it's on - nor distinguishes it so far from it's shopping-model brethren.

The interior is executed EXQUISITELY. Have a look inside a 5 Series Beemer and see what crud the competition are serving up and you'll know what I mean. For a 2005 car this is as good as you'll get ANYWHERE.

It has really brawny GUTSY power, and an almost ridiculously musclebound engine note. You get SUPERB chassis balance despite having the Mother-of-all-German V8's somehow wedged into the engine bay and should for all the world make it understeer even more than the SLK32 - BUT IT DOESN'T AT ALL. Front grip can only be described as ridiculous and the roll and flex are so minimal it seems they've only left some there for nostalgic reasons - you'd think they re-wrote physics if it didn't.

The car has a SOPHISTICATED FLOW on the road - a delicate balance of steering, braking, power, and chassis and throttle control that provides not only the ingredients of a good sportscar cake, but is so nicely blended and balanced as to give you the confidence to eat it too! The engine note is the icing on the top - HOW MUCH FUN IS THAT TO LISTEN TO! Oooooh! Wow!

The 7G-tronic ican be a nuisance on the odd occasion (won't upshift unless told to in "M", ignores downshifts entirely if rev-matching with the lower gear is impossible when ordered), and keeping track of what gear you're in can be a challenge sometimes but probably doesn't matter while you have a kickdown switch! Otherwise it's the best transmission ever fitted to a car. It's fast-changing and with the facility for torque-converter lock-up you have all the benefits of an auto with ALMOST all the benefits of a manual. STREETS AHEAD of all the other AMG Speedtronics.

The brakes simply knock the air out of your lungs - I thought the SLK32's deceleration of 1.02G was good. Sheesh! The car is small and nimble, with a rapid turn-in and very progressive and predictable power oversteer that the ESP allows to a surprising degree (if you don't think so then go drive the SLK32 with ESP on and let's see how much hair you have left at the end of it!). Steering is improved but for me I can't see the top 1/3rd of the instruments because the steering wheel gets in the way (I'm 5 foot 9).

And it's still a convertible! Hard-top too!

While driving the SL55AMG at 140km/h in quite heavy rain (as quick as the 2,000+kg/SBC/ABC systems would let me go) I saw headlights in my mirrors and a moment later an SLK55AMG literally exploded past at nearly 200km/h - the rooster-tail took 20 seconds to clear! How could he have gone so much faster when I had 700Nm and he didn't? The answer is CONFIDENCE. The SL55 is an AWESOME inter-city car - maybe the best ever (the SL65 doesn't flow properly as it's too nose-heavy and understeers almost alarmingly) but when the road bends or the rain falls (enter the real world outside a sunny traffic-free Autobahn) the SLK55 will get you EVERY time.

You don't buy sportscars to go fast in a straight line - get a 600km/h Mag-Lev train if you want that - you buy them to have fun and the SLK55AMG is THE MOST FUN CAR MERCEDES HAVE MADE IN THE LAST 50 YEARS!

This car will take sales from Porsche, BMW M Division, Audi's RS buyers, as well as even some of the buyers of Italian exotica. It adds a MUCH needed dose of sportscar credibility to the AMG range that was at risk of being seen as using a flawed 1960's American muscle-car strategy.

So there's my 2c worth. Don't mean to offend - just to give praise where it's needed. I have NEVER driven a Benz like this one, and would probably rate it among the top 3 sportscars I've ever driven (alongside the Ferrari 288GTO and Porsche GT3) in all categories.

This is the first of a new breed of AMG's.

LONG LIVE THE AMG BRAND AND MAY IT RESURRECT THE SPORTING HERITAGE OF THE 3-POINTED STAR!

Cheers,

JD

Sydney Australia
Attached Thumbnails Croc Dundee drives SLK55...-1.jpg   Croc Dundee drives SLK55...-2.jpg   Croc Dundee drives SLK55...-11.jpg   Croc Dundee drives SLK55...-14.jpg   Croc Dundee drives SLK55...-8.jpg  

Old 05-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Almost a Member!

1996 C36
Thumbs up

Hi AUSSLK55AMG

Brilliant post!

Sounds like a great weekend had by all.

What I want to is how did you score the invite?
One very jealous Sydneyite.

I am expecting cubanite silver/black SLK55 in July.
Can't wait.HAven't seen too many decent Cubanite silver cars...what did you think of the colour..does it look anything like the porsche seal grey, or is it more like pewter? What options did you order?

Any idea on whether May-June Aus delivered cars have Ipod compatibility?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 PM

SLK55
Thanks for the insightful and succinct post. I'm looking forward to the AMG driving event here in the states at Lime Rock in August!
Old 05-12-2005, 04:30 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Yes, I have had our Firemist RedBerry interior, loaded SLK55 for about 2 wks & the first 500 miles have been a BLAST.

It is a well built car that has a firm but comfortable ride which has been coupled to a great powerplant & tranny. Its fun to drive, has an amazing stereo, and looks great. My wife & are have been very pleased with our purchase.

Good write up & thanks for your summary.

-Matt
Old 05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Cubanite SLK55AMG
Originally Posted by fadi
Hi AUSSLK55AMG

Brilliant post!

Sounds like a great weekend had by all.

What I want to is how did you score the invite?
One very jealous Sydneyite.

I am expecting cubanite silver/black SLK55 in July.
Can't wait.HAven't seen too many decent Cubanite silver cars...what did you think of the colour..does it look anything like the porsche seal grey, or is it more like pewter? What options did you order?

Any idea on whether May-June Aus delivered cars have Ipod compatibility?
Fadi,

I'll show you my car when I get it. The 3 cars present were black/red, silver/black, and cubanite/alpaca (my colour combo and what you see in the photos above).

Of the 3 colours I have seen black doesn't really bring out the numerous styling highlights of the car's shape and makes it look a bit small. Silver is probably best at showing the styling and is the most classic MB sporting colour but compared to cubanite still is a slimming colour - and that's on a pretty small car to begin with. If you didn't see these cars together you wouldn't know how pronounced these 'slimming' effects are.

Cubanite does a FABULOUS job of highlighting the beautiful shape of the car, is quite dust resistant (my current car and the SLK32 were black so I am SO over cars that show dirt easily), and actually makes the car look LARGER!

While you would never pick it from the photos the cubanite colour on the nose of ANY R171 has an amazing effect where it seems to 'shimmer' - and somehow make it hard to fully see the front of the car due to the rounded nature of that big bonnet-hump thing - a most unexpected and really amazing scenario which leaves you going 'Wow - what the hell car was that?'.

As you know we only have 8 colour choices in Australia - and the 3 colours above are the only non-ridiculous ones - I mean who's going to spend AUD$180k on an ice-greenblue car? Seriously - stay with cubanite - on the SLK55 (even compared to the shopping-model SLK's) it's the colour to have from what I've seen (an on the international forums seemingly a rare colour overseas).

I do have to say the colour can look a bit washed out and boring in photos - but on this particular shape - it's spot on.

Your dealer should be alerting you to events like this - you should ring them up and blast them - how much more does it cost to make an AMG SLK vs a shopping model? The profit margins defy belief and they really should be treating us as the profit centres we really are for them.

You guys enjoy - I'm off to New Zealand for the w/e so I won't be able to reply until Monday if you have any questions.

Cheers,

JD

Sydney Aus
Old 05-13-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
Thanks for the great report. I am patiently waiting for deliver of my 06.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
Old 05-13-2005, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
nice pics!

anymore of the other models?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 C36
AUSSLK55AMG

Thanks for the feedback.I went to a CLS launch tonight and one of the cars was a cubanite with black and you're right..it looked sensational.

Look forward to having a look at your car when it arrives. Hope you're NZ trrip is a blast.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by AUSSLK55AMG
Fadi,

I'll show you my car when I get it. The 3 cars present were black/red, silver/black, and cubanite/alpaca (my colour combo and what you see in the photos above).

Of the 3 colours I have seen black doesn't really bring out the numerous styling highlights of the car's shape and makes it look a bit small. Silver is probably best at showing the styling and is the most classic MB sporting colour but compared to cubanite still is a slimming colour - and that's on a pretty small car to begin with. If you didn't see these cars together you wouldn't know how pronounced these 'slimming' effects are.

Cubanite does a FABULOUS job of highlighting the beautiful shape of the car, is quite dust resistant (my current car and the SLK32 were black so I am SO over cars that show dirt easily), and actually makes the car look LARGER!

While you would never pick it from the photos the cubanite colour on the nose of ANY R171 has an amazing effect where it seems to 'shimmer' - and somehow make it hard to fully see the front of the car due to the rounded nature of that big bonnet-hump thing - a most unexpected and really amazing scenario which leaves you going 'Wow - what the hell car was that?'.

As you know we only have 8 colour choices in Australia - and the 3 colours above are the only non-ridiculous ones - I mean who's going to spend AUD$180k on an ice-greenblue car? Seriously - stay with cubanite - on the SLK55 (even compared to the shopping-model SLK's) it's the colour to have from what I've seen (an on the international forums seemingly a rare colour overseas).

I do have to say the colour can look a bit washed out and boring in photos - but on this particular shape - it's spot on.

Your dealer should be alerting you to events like this - you should ring them up and blast them - how much more does it cost to make an AMG SLK vs a shopping model? The profit margins defy belief and they really should be treating us as the profit centres we really are for them.

You guys enjoy - I'm off to New Zealand for the w/e so I won't be able to reply until Monday if you have any questions.

Cheers,

JD

Sydney Aus
beautiful posts and colour of your car! however, for me it has to be black!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 C36
blkslk55

We just bought a Black Lexus RX330 for the dear wife.Not our first choice and first black car.

It's beautiful when clean, but when it rains, it's murder.

Blk SLKs sure look great with the tint and SL65 style wheels.I wasn't a big fan of the standard SLK55 wheels, but they look quite good on the cubanite.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:42 PM

blkslk55

We just bought a Black Lexus RX330 for the dear wife.Not our first choice and first black car.

It's beautiful when clean, but when it rains, it's murder.

Blk SLKs sure look great with the tint and SL65 style wheels.I wasn't a big fan of the standard SLK55 wheels, but they look quite good on the cubanite.
actually i have tinted the windows to a mirror finish (you can still see inside a little bit, looks fantastic) and have the 19" sl65 style wheels with nitto high performance tires. the car looks great! i will try to post some pics in the near future.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 C36
blkslk55

how does car drive on 19' wheels...what are the roads like where you are?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:23 PM

blkslk55

how does car drive on 19' wheels...what are the roads like where you are?
the roads are normal, mind you due to winter we tend to get potholes however they are all repaired now.
the car drives fine, because of the wheels and the low-pro high performance tires, the ride is a little stiff but i don't mind that a bit as the '55 is ment to be a drivers car (for my experience anyway).
Old 06-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 C36
still waiting for your pics!

Hi BLKSLK55

I might beat you to it..I expect delivery in the next two weeks.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by blkslk55
actually i have tinted the windows to a mirror finish (you can still see inside a little bit, looks fantastic) and have the 19" sl65 style wheels with nitto high performance tires. the car looks great! i will try to post some pics in the near future.
Some of us are waiting for our cars and it's like torture. We need pictures!

Last edited by 98indypacer; 06-14-2005 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:55 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Thumbs up Killer Post!!!

beautiful pics, great tale.

Thanks for the post, awesome job!!

Excuse me while I go clean the drool off my keyboard...

Enjoy the down under ride,
Greg
Old 06-14-2005, 10:09 PM

Am I the only person who wonders why AMG puts on these kinds of events in other countries, but in the US they make you pick one day and one of a half dozen inconvient locations hundreds of miles from your house, on a week day, on which you can compete with dozens of other people for the chance to pay hundreds of dollars to drive a car that dealerships probably won't even unlock for you to sit in, let alone allow you to test drive?

I suspect I'm ranting again...
Old 06-15-2005, 04:01 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Irrational Exuberance

One small exaggeration. In your understandable enthusiasm for the SLK55 I think you overstated the styling effects of the AMG as compared to the rest of the SLK line. There are some of us who actually prefer the cleaner lines of the SLK350 sans AMG styling package. Now under the hood that may be a different matter, but I don't think anyone will overlook the non AMG SLK parked next to its AMG siblling.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 C36
Actually naadp, I live "only" 21/2 hours away from the AMG day in Canberra and I only heard about it afterwards on this forum.

My dealer tried to make it up by making a SLK55 available for a short drive last week, but the dealer who had it the day before didnot release it in time

northbenz, I agree about the SLK350.Nice to have a manul option as well.I would imagine that if you were that way inclined, some performance mods to the new gen V6 would yield some useful gains.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:41 AM

Brabus has upped the displacement and gets about 330hp out of the 350. Definately not bad, but I suspect the total cost would put you in about the same neighborhood as the SLK55.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 98indypacer
Some of us are waiting for our cars and it's like torture. We need pictures!
sorry to reply so late as i was away. i just finished having my paint sealed, 3m applied, etc. the car is slowly getting ready! i will post some pics by the end of this week....promise.