SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Kleemann or Renntech s/c

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kleemann or Renntech s/c

Which do you guys think would be a better product? I know the Kleemann makes more power but am concerned about the engine not being designed for FI with an 11.0:1 cr. I'm sure the Kleemann must be running a bit higher boost to achieve the higher power figures, which concerns me about reliability beyond the warranty.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on your location or if you don't care that much about service. I'd say go with Kleemann. Btw Kleemann is running 7lbs of boost.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:50 PM

Tampa. FL. very hot and humid weather, not good for FI due to heat soak...but at least we have 93 Octane
Old 09-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Out Of Control!

Since you're in FL you may want to check out RennTech only because they're closer to you so if you need to do some general service they can take care of you.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JamE55
Depends on your location or if you don't care that much about service. I'd say go with Kleemann. Btw Kleemann is running 7lbs of boost.
Kleemann will provide a warranty on their parts. But you raise a good point, I'd call your dealer to see what their stance is on after market products, especially that of superchargers.

My choice? Kleemann. Look at what it turned JamE55's E180 into!!
(I'm just joshin' ya JamE55)
Old 09-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Kleemann will provide a warranty on their parts. But you raise a good point, I'd call your dealer to see what their stance is on after market products, especially that of superchargers.

My choice? Kleemann. Look at what it turned JamE55's E180 into!!
(I'm just joshin' ya JamE55)
You know i'm a strict Kleemann follower! From E180 to dropping the E1 and 0 and adding an S to the 8 = S8!

Wait shouldn't you be working on your homework? What's up son?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Originally Posted by ian55amg
Tampa. FL. very hot and humid weather, not good for FI due to heat soak...but at least we have 93 Octane
Get in touch with Chris Chappas at C2 Design

C2 Design
4011-B South West Avenue
Tampa, FL 33614

Tel: 813.223.3744
Fax: 813.223.3744
Email: cchapas@mindspring.com
Web: www.c2dusa.com

Let him know Dinko sent you
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
With the money you'll save with Klee, you can snag and intercooler upgrade or LSD.

Can't go wrong with either though.

If you have the cash, it would be cool to have it done AT Renntech headquarters in FL. Couldn't ask for a better install of their product.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:46 PM

SLK55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
it would be cool to have it done AT Renntech headquarters in FL. Couldn't ask for a better install of their product.
Very true- for aftermarket modifications, the install is as important as the parts themselves.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:09 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Which do you guys think would be a better product? I know the Kleemann makes more power but am concerned about the engine not being designed for FI with an 11.0:1 cr. I'm sure the Kleemann must be running a bit higher boost to achieve the higher power figures, which concerns me about reliability beyond the warranty.
As others have commented, Kleemann makes an excellent product & is top notch in everything they do....including Service support before & after the install. Their patented blower is more efficient than AMG's stocker, primarily due to its cooling cpabilities allowing big power with low boost. Kleemann has other certified shops (limited) that install their products.

Just an fyi, Fisker just chose Kleemann as their engine builder which speaks volumes for their confidence & research on Kleemann's abilties & experience. Just my 2 cents.

Ill let ya know how mine turns out in about 2 weeks. I just opted for the Stage III install with 590 Hp (instead of just the Stage II).

See ya,
-Matt
Old 10-02-2005, 06:24 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Ill let ya know how mine turns out in about 2 weeks. I just opted for the Stage III install with 590 Hp (instead of just the Stage II).

See ya,
-Matt
Since you live in Silicon Valley, where did you choose to get the mod done? Can you give a general price of the total cost. I understand you may not wish to share the cost, so just a generalization would be fine. BTW 590hp, wow!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:00 PM

As others have commented, Kleemann makes an excellent product & is top notch in everything they do....including Service support before & after the install. Their patented blower is more efficient than AMG's stocker, primarily due to its cooling cpabilities allowing big power with low boost. Kleemann has other certified shops (limited) that install their products.

Just an fyi, Fisker just chose Kleemann as their engine builder which speaks volumes for their confidence & research on Kleemann's abilties & experience. Just my 2 cents.

See ya,
-Matt
Matt, good luck with your install
Let us know the pros and the cons. I'm a little concerned the ESP may be a tad too intrusive with all that power
One of the few advantages of my z06, in competition mode it is very open to abuse
Old 10-02-2005, 08:08 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Matt, good luck with your install
Let us know the pros and the cons. I'm a little concerned the ESP may be a tad too intrusive with all that power
One of the few advantages of my z06, in competition mode it is very open to abuse
Hi Ian.

Sure, I'm happy to give you some feedback when I get the car back.

For what its worth, you can always switch ESP off (I don't recommend it except maybe to "warm up the tires" . EVO tested the car w/the ESP on (you can read the article on bookshelves now) & even though it was actively blinking at 120mph, the car was still leaving twin black "morse code" streaks of rubber through the entire 1/4 mi. I think with ESP engaged, its still "safe" (prevents excessive car rotation) while still allowing for satisfactory wheelspin. I dunno, we'll see I guess.

Ian, you going to trade up for a 427 7.0L Z06? :p If you are thinking about it, just get the blower - then your SLK55 should be a bit faster than the '06 Z06. However, guys on the Vette forum are getting 490 RWHP with a header install - pretty stout so,.... I dunno.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 10-02-2005, 08:23 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by dsb
Since you live in Silicon Valley, where did you choose to get the mod done? Can you give a general price of the total cost. I understand you may not wish to share the cost, so just a generalization would be fine. BTW 590hp, wow!
Oh I don't care. Its just a car. Installed the tally comes to about $23k which includes tax. I guess I'll see when I pay the balance (I already paid for the parts).

When I get my car back, I'll post where the work got done so I can provide informed feedback to you on the whole process (installation quality, timing, service, etc). Deal?

See ya,
-Matt
Old 10-03-2005, 04:27 PM

Oh I don't care. Its just a car. Installed the tally comes to about $23k which includes tax. I guess I'll see when I pay the balance (I already paid for the parts).

When I get my car back, I'll post where the work got done so I can provide informed feedback to you on the whole process (installation quality, timing, service, etc). Deal?

See ya,
-Matt
Hey Matt! Please let me know when your car is done. Would love to check out that blower and the extra power (590HP!?!?).

-Marlon
Old 10-03-2005, 06:33 PM

Hi Ian.

Sure, I'm happy to give you some feedback when I get the car back.

For what its worth, you can always switch ESP off (I don't recommend it except maybe to "warm up the tires" . EVO tested the car w/the ESP on (you can read the article on bookshelves now) & even though it was actively blinking at 120mph, the car was still leaving twin black "morse code" streaks of rubber through the entire 1/4 mi. I think with ESP engaged, its still "safe" (prevents excessive car rotation) while still allowing for satisfactory wheelspin. I dunno, we'll see I guess.

Ian, you going to trade up for a 427 7.0L Z06? :p If you are thinking about it, just get the blower - then your SLK55 should be a bit faster than the '06 Z06. However, guys on the Vette forum are getting 490 RWHP with a header install - pretty stout so,.... I dunno.

See ya,
-Matt
Matt,
If i traded for the 06 z06 i would have less power than i currently have.
My 03 z06 has the LPE 427 race engine with twin T28r turbos. It is producing 750 hp and 800 lbs/ft of torque on a pump gas safe 10psi with a 2 year warranty I just wish the car had the MB 7 speed trans and was built with the same quality as the MB.
My z06 is a brute and the slk has finesse.
Regards
Ian
Old 10-03-2005, 07:08 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Matt,
If i traded for the 06 z06 i would have less power than i currently have.
My 03 z06 has the LPE 427 race engine with twin T28r turbos. It is producing 750 hp and 800 lbs/ft of torque on a pump gas safe 10psi with a 2 year warranty I just wish the car had the MB 7 speed trans and was built with the same quality as the MB.
My z06 is a brute and the slk has finesse.
Regards
Ian
A 427 crate motor w/twin turbos? :v Cool! Be careful with that thing in the wet. Better yet, better not drive it in the wet! Geezuz.

Marlon, sure. You can swing by when I get the car back. I'll post my impressions on the forum when I pick it up. Its going to need new rims/tires. I think the current 245s will be like bike tires with 565 ft lbs - I'll be keeping the traction control on.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 PM

Matt,
Is you car finished yet????? When is the delivery date? I cant wait for your road test
Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Out Of Control!

Matt,
Is you car finished yet????? When is the delivery date? I cant wait for your road test
What he said. And did you get the bumpsticks?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:41 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by JamE55
What he said. And did you get the bumpsticks?
Exhaust & headers arrived today (yesterday was a holiday) & being installed as we speak. Should go on the dyno for the baseline tomorrow, then 2 - 3 more days to adjust AFRs & timing as the software adjustments come from Denmark to maximize output.

James, I'm only getting "Kleemann" where the SLK55 badge is today. I'll put V8 Kompressor on the sides & thats it. I don't like too much "K" stuff all over the car (stickers, replacement badges for the Mercedes logo, etc ).

I'll post the final dyno when the car is done...hoping by Friday but its likely another week away (the shop races @ Button Willow each weekend so my SLK has to wait). Its OK. I'm just looking forward to the power channeled via the 7 spd tranny in a car 700 lbs lighter than an E55. I think this car is going to be rather quick.

See you.
-Matt
Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Exhaust & headers arrived today (yesterday was a holiday) & being installed as we speak. Should go on the dyno for the baseline tomorrow, then 2 - 3 more days to adjust AFRs & timing as the software adjustments come from Denmark to maximize output.

James, I'm only getting "Kleemann" where the SLK55 badge is today. I'll put V8 Kompressor on the sides & thats it. I don't like too much "K" stuff all over the car (stickers, replacement badges for the Mercedes logo, etc ).

I'll post the final dyno when the car is done...hoping by Friday but its likely another week away (the shop races @ Button Willow each weekend so my SLK has to wait). Its OK. I'm just looking forward to the power channeled via the 7 spd tranny in a car 700 lbs lighter than an E55. I think this car is going to be rather quick.

See you.
-Matt

I say ditch the badges and just keep the 3-stars on both ends :p . I dig the sleeper look...
Old 10-11-2005, 09:30 PM

This is so exciting! Can't wait for your results
Old 10-11-2005, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
hey jam i need your contact info at kleeman. my buddy tonny has maxed out his engine at brabus. he has the B55 kit. his was the 1st one to be fitted with this kit. he got it today from brabus in newport it bumped up the ponies a bit but not like a sc. andreas at brabus said that the only thing they can offer beyond the B55 is a full engine swap. on a sl its close to 100k for the engine swap alone. andreas also gave the nod on renntech and kleeman.

i told tony about your s8 and he was interested. price really isnt a big issue with him. its more customer service and warranty. he is getting some dtm mods done as well. like a paddle shifter fitted to the steering wheel. he is hoping that it is complete by saturday. i also told him you run 100 octane and it was funny to see his reaction. the slk B 55 is his daily driver and he saves the 360 modena for playtime.

other details would be nice like how long does it take to setup an engine with a sc. what things do they do when adding a sc. i was always told the bottom end had to rebuilt if you wanted to run any kind boost from the sc. i believe rod bearings, pistons, journal bearings and the heads had to be redone. is this true? i am asking because your car esentially has the old skool e55 motor. also will the sc fit under the low profile hood on the slk?

please find me on saturday so i can introduce you to tony. i am sure he will have a bunch of ?'s about your s8.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Hey Matt-

Been watching your thread and thought it was time to say "WOW!!!" Your new modded ride will definitely be a Beast +++ !!!! After things settle down I hope you will give me an opportunity get a ride in your wild car. I'm sure you're terribly anxious to get your car and experience a seriously fast ride.

Enjoy!!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Out Of Control!

See you.
-Matt
Matt,

That's awsome! Can't wait to see some dyno numbers as well as some pics! I understand about the badging and it's just a matter of personal taste. Reason why i went with the full badge is because i'm the only person in california who is running the S8 kit. Actually there are only 2 S8 kits in the whole USA and i'm the 2nd person to have it. The other guy is in CO. But nonetheless your car should definitely be a beast! If you don't mind me asking which shop is working on your car?
hey jam i need your contact info at kleeman. my buddy tonny has maxed out his engine at brabus. he has the B55 kit. his was the 1st one to be fitted with this kit. he got it today from brabus in newport it bumped up the ponies a bit but not like a sc. andreas at brabus said that the only thing they can offer beyond the B55 is a full engine swap. on a sl its close to 100k for the engine swap alone. andreas also gave the nod on renntech and kleeman.

i told tony about your s8 and he was interested. price really isnt a big issue with him. its more customer service and warranty. he is getting some dtm mods done as well. like a paddle shifter fitted to the steering wheel. he is hoping that it is complete by saturday. i also told him you run 100 octane and it was funny to see his reaction. the slk B 55 is his daily driver and he saves the 360 modena for playtime.

other details would be nice like how long does it take to setup an engine with a sc. what things do they do when adding a sc. i was always told the bottom end had to rebuilt if you wanted to run any kind boost from the sc. i believe rod bearings, pistons, journal bearings and the heads had to be redone. is this true? i am asking because your car esentially has the old skool e55 motor. also will the sc fit under the low profile hood on the slk?

please find me on saturday so i can introduce you to tony. i am sure he will have a bunch of ?'s about your s8.
Eric,

Find me or i'll find you this saturday and your friend Tony and i'll try and answer as much question as i can about the kit. Also pls check PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kleemann or Renntech s/c