Next Mod/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Next Mod/Upgrade

Aside from a couple things I will be doing over this weekend, I'd like to get your input on my next upgrade to this little up-and-coming monster: Kleemann LSD.

Will it significantly up my performance (at the drag strip for example) if the car only has a couple mods such as ECU and Evo Underdrive Pulleys? Even if I will get a tenth or two tenths out of it, I will be happy. I'm all about the little progress this car makes before I'm ready to drop a blower in there.

I've also never tracked this car, but have a few buddies who track their Porsches, Lambos, Audis, etc. at the track and have invited me plenty of times. Before I head out there, I want to make sure to at least get a little better edge against what I've got now. Will the car handle better through corners if I do the LSD?

What are your thoughts on the KLEEMANN LSD on my non s/c'd car?

Dinko

Last edited by dinko; 12-08-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
do it, i dunno about acceleration but it should help cornering (especially on the exit). and u will eventually have 2 do it after the blower anywayz
Old 12-08-2005, 11:02 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by dinko
Aside from a couple things I will be doing over this weekend, I'd like to get your input on my next upgrade to this little up-and-coming monster: Kleemann LSD.

Will it significantly up my performance (at the drag strip for example) if the car only has a couple mods such as ECU and Evo Underdrive Pulleys? Even if I will get a tenth or two tenths out of it, I will be happy. I'm all about the little progress this car makes before I'm ready to drop a blower in there.

I've also never tracked this car, but have a few buddies who track their Porsches, Lambos, Audis, etc. at the track and have invited me plenty of times. Before I head out there, I want to make sure to at least get a little better edge against what I've got now. Will the car handle better through corners if I do the LSD?

Dinko
Dinkster,

Get the LSD. E55's have picked up 4 tenths from 0-60 from better traction than the std AMG LSD due to a more aggressive lock ratio. Your car may not have a blower, but it weghs less & with your existing mods, you have increased your Hp. You will decrease your 1/4 time (not leave it in smoked rubber at the start line). It will allow you to make efficient use of the power you have from the "get go".

You should also pick up some cornering capability (the new Caymen S lacks an LSD & smokes either of its rear tires when cornering). Porsche did this to keep the cost reasonable but sacrificed some handling (likely makes no diff though - that thing handles AWESOME already as we know ).

I can feel you coming to the Dark Side. Its only a matter of time now young Padawan :v .

See ya,
-Matt
Old 12-09-2005, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Dinkster,

Get the LSD. E55's have picked up 4 tenths from 0-60 from better traction than the std AMG LSD due to a more aggressive lock ratio. Your car may not have a blower, but it weghs less & with your existing mods, you have increased your Hp. You will decrease your 1/4 time (not leave it in smoked rubber at the start line). It will allow you to make efficient use of the power you have from the "get go".

You should also pick up some cornering capability (the new Caymen S lacks an LSD & smokes either of its rear tires when cornering). Porsche did this to keep the cost reasonable but sacrificed some handling (likely makes no diff though - that thing handles AWESOME already as we know ).

I can feel you coming to the Dark Side. Its only a matter of time now young Padawan :v .

See ya,
-Matt
im thinking of getting the cayman when my lease is up in october, do u think some1 will make a lsd 4 it?
thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 01:16 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by AMG_55
im thinking of getting the cayman when my lease is up in october, do u think some1 will make a lsd 4 it?
thanks
The Dark Side does not help those who have lost their way.

Seriously, yes, I can't imagine some 3rd Party not offering one (Gemballa, Andial, Ruf, etc). Its basicly a street legal club racer - unreal handling & its no acceleration slouch either.

-Matt
Old 12-09-2005, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Matt, where are your pics???? Camera broken?

Dinko
Old 12-09-2005, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Cayman

Looked at the Cayman and I liked the looks of it ... great handling car ... but wife nixed it saying not enough HP and I'd get bored fast. Almost pulled the trigger on a 997S but then I stopped by the mercedes dealer and saw the SLK55 with 030. To be honest I don't know which is a fairer comparison ... SLK55 vs Cayman or SLK55 vs 997 or 997S. These cars are all comparable (price wise) especially since both mercedes and porsche are the kings of extra options.

I have to say the manual in the 997S was very VERY good. but now that I"m getting used to this AMAZING 7speed ... its 7speed all the way.
This board definitely helped with my decision in that I saw Matt's posts about his kleeman upgrades. Knowing that I can get this car over 500hp with just a few upgrades is amazing. Also the shop Matt uses is close to me as well. So I know they have experience doing this already.

Back sort of on topic ... the 997S doesn't come with a LSD either!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 04:07 PM

SL 6.1 Brabus, E55, SLK55

Dinko

I have also talked to kleemann about getting LSD on my non S/C car too. They suggest that if eventually I want to do S/C, LSD is more than essential. So i guess if you really thinking of S/C it, might as well just get LSD to get better drag time now. Before having ultimate fun with the performance of blower later on. Just my opinion though.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dinko
Do it!!
Old 12-09-2005, 04:15 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
I want to make sure to at least get a little better edge against what I've got now. Will the car handle better through corners if I do the LSD?
Hi, Dinko. Please forgive me for not knowing your experience with on-track driving and perhaps, being a bit presumptuous, but the best way (as you may have experienced already) to get an edge on your buddies is to get some high-performance driving instruction -- both in classroom and on the track. But maybe you already have been there and done that a lot.

I know (as you may also) a lot of drivers who spend a lot of $$$ on upgrades on their cars and then are surprised when they are slower than a 10-year old stock BMW 4-door sedan driven by an experienced driver. And remember -- expect that there will always be someone faster than you, no matter how much you dump into your car.

I firmly believe what you have probably heard before: "To make your car go fast, send it's driver to school." And the money you spend on yourself will benefit you the rest of your life, long after the LSD and the rest of your mods have been sold to someone else or are rusting in a junk yard.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Originally Posted by slk55er
Hi, Dinko. Please forgive me for not knowing your experience with on-track driving and perhaps, being a bit presumptuous, but the best way (as you may have experienced already) to get an edge on your buddies is to get some high-performance driving instruction -- both in classroom and on the track. But maybe you already have been there and done that a lot.

I know (as you may also) a lot of drivers who spend a lot of $$$ on upgrades on their cars and then are surprised when they are slower than a 10-year old stock BMW 4-door sedan driven by an experienced driver. And remember -- expect that there will always be someone faster than you, no matter how much you dump into your car.

I firmly believe what you have probably heard before: "To make your car go fast, send it's driver to school." And the money you spend on yourself will benefit you the rest of your life, long after the LSD and the rest of your mods have been sold to someone else or are rusting in a junk yard.
I completely agree, and in a way it didn't even cross my mind to get a driving class

But before I even take that class, I'd like to get the car in shape a bit more.

Thanks for the advice!

Dinko
Old 12-09-2005, 07:07 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Matt, where are your pics???? Camera broken?

Dinko
Car has been getting tuned so I have not had access to take pics @ home.

There is an SLK meet/driveevery 3rd Saturday of the month. I'll be attending my first on 12/18 & convinced Jesse to come as well. The local MB SLk chapter has been around for over 25 yrs & has a dedicated following (they always take pics, create a slideshow, & post it on this Forum). Here is a link to the Nov meet (I went to meet people but did not drive since my RX-7 did not fit in well with the SLKs). When the next 12/18 meet pics/slide show is posted - I'll post the new link so you can see the Kleemann. It is absolutely EVIL .

Nov Slideshow Thread Link: https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171/127390-great-11-19-05-no-ca-meet-drive-w-5-r171-s.html

-Matt
Old 12-09-2005, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Jesseliu
Looked at the Cayman and I liked the looks of it ... great handling car ... but wife nixed it saying not enough HP and I'd get bored fast. Almost pulled the trigger on a 997S but then I stopped by the mercedes dealer and saw the SLK55 with 030. To be honest I don't know which is a fairer comparison ... SLK55 vs Cayman or SLK55 vs 997 or 997S. These cars are all comparable (price wise) especially since both mercedes and porsche are the kings of extra options.

I have to say the manual in the 997S was very VERY good. but now that I"m getting used to this AMAZING 7speed ... its 7speed all the way.
This board definitely helped with my decision in that I saw Matt's posts about his kleeman upgrades. Knowing that I can get this car over 500hp with just a few upgrades is amazing. Also the shop Matt uses is close to me as well. So I know they have experience doing this already.

Back sort of on topic ... the 997S doesn't come with a LSD either!!!
in my opinion:
i dont think a porsche can truly b compared to a mercedes.
only price wise and configuration (both coupes)
Old 12-09-2005, 08:28 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
in my opinion:
i dont think a porsche can truly b compared to a mercedes.
only price wise and configuration (both coupes)
And why is that? They are both RWD german built sports cars selling for the same cash outlay. They are direct competitors in some areas, such as the new SLK line (not to mention the ML line to the Cayenne).

-Matt
Old 12-09-2005, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

porsche vs. mercedes

Don't understand why they can't be compared. Usually a car buyer is looking for multiple types of cars. I wasn't even seriously considering the SLK and cayman until my CLS55 build was messed up. I have 2 children so the 2 seater wasn't the optimum car ... On the other hand, I do have other sedans to drive if we need to go out as a family.

I was looking for something that was extremely powerful, had decent to great handling and wasn't going to changed immediately. I was a buyer that was looking at both cars. I'm sure other buyers have also entertained thoughts of the other vehicles as well regardless of which purchase they made. If Porsche or Mercedes don't think these cars compete ... they are sorely mistaken.

BTW INFINITI Resale value has got to be one of the freaking worst.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
And why is that? They are both RWD german built sports cars selling for the same cash outlay. They are direct competitors in some areas, such as the new SLK line (not to mention the ML line to the Cayenne).

-Matt

cayenne and ml, yes ur right.

slk v. cayman i dont think so, thats just my opinion.
1 is made as a sports car the other is a very fast and ok handling cruiser.
the slk wins the drag, the cayman wins at the track.
the porsche is made to communocate w/ the driver, the slk isn't. its not a sports car. as i said in my earlier post, the price, drive configuration and body type r the only thing that are comparable.
im not saying people wont cross shop them, i'm doin that as we speak (cayman s, slk 030, z4m coupe, z06)
Old 12-10-2005, 10:27 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
cayenne and ml, yes ur right.

slk v. cayman i dont think so, thats just my opinion.
1 is made as a sports car the other is a very fast and ok handling cruiser.
the slk wins the drag, the cayman wins at the track.
the porsche is made to communocate w/ the driver, the slk isn't. its not a sports car. as i said in my earlier post, the price, drive configuration and body type r the only thing that are comparable.
im not saying people wont cross shop them, i'm doin that as we speak (cayman s, slk 030, z4m coupe, z06)
Err, no the Caymen won't neccessarily win at the track. It depends on the track. If there are many straights, that Caymen is toast (its slight handling advantage will not be enough of an advantage to offset the 55's superior straight line braun).

That communication crap is over-rated. The 55 handles extremely well - it is hardley a slouch (its the F1 pace car for gawds sake, albeit with some reduced weight & enhanced cooling mods). I tracked mine at Seca (when stock) - it ain't as fast my modified RX-7, but it was absolutely quick & handled the corkscrew very well I might add.

You opened up the wrong can of worms stating the AMG SLK55 is not a sports car. With an SL, I might see your point. With the SLK55, no fuggin' way. The SLK55 is indeed a sports car, a damn good one at that. Lets take a quick look/overview......
355 Hp V8, check
RWD, check
Close ratio 7 Spd paddle shift, check
18" alloy rims w/35 series Y rated rubber, check
2 seat roadster, check
Firm sports suspension (thick anti sway, shock dampening, etc), check
Airdam/spoiler for 36% increased downforce at speed, check
13.4" vented & crossed drilled 6 piston calipers (13" & 4 piston back), check
Total: Its a sports car

I quote one of a zillion established car mags (Motor Trend):
"The new SLK Class can hold its head up high against established sports cars in the class such as the BMW Z4 and the Porsche Boxster. Put an AMG-built V-8 under the hood, and it'll run with Maserati Spyders and SVT Mustang Cobras, making the much more expensive ($90,620) SL500 kind of moot".

-Matt
Old 12-10-2005, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Err, no the Caymen won't neccessarily win at the track. It depends on the track. If there are many straights, that Caymen is toast (its slight handling advantage will not be enough of an advantage to offset the 55's superior straight line braun).

That communication crap is over-rated. The 55 handles extremely well - it is hardley a slouch (its the F1 pace car for gawds sake, albeit with some reduced weight & enhanced cooling mods). I tracked mine at Seca (when stock) - it ain't as fast my modified RX-7, but it was absolutely quick & handled the corkscrew very well I might add.

You opened up the wrong can of worms stating the AMG SLK55 is not a sports car. With an SL, I might see your point. With the SLK55, no fuggin' way. The SLK55 is indeed a sports car, a damn good one at that. Lets take a quick look/overview......
355 Hp V8, check
RWD, check
Close ratio 7 Spd paddle shift, check
18" alloy rims w/35 series Y rated rubber, check
2 seat roadster, check
Firm sports suspension (thick anti sway, shock dampening, etc), check
Airdam/spoiler for 36% increased downforce at speed, check
13.4" vented & crossed drilled 6 piston calipers (13" & 4 piston back), check
Total: Its a sports car

I quote one of a zillion established car mags (Motor Trend):
"The new SLK Class can hold its head up high against established sports cars in the class such as the BMW Z4 and the Porsche Boxster. Put an AMG-built V-8 under the hood, and it'll run with Maserati Spyders and SVT Mustang Cobras, making the much more expensive ($90,620) SL500 kind of moot".

-Matt
i think ur missing my point.
i agree w/ everything u said.
but a proper sports car "talks" to its driver, u can feel everything the car is doing, the slk is too filtered. i might still get 1, i need to test drive a few cars closer to my lease end date (oct.). as i said b4; this is only my opinion, i know every1 has a different definition of a sports car.

by the way
do u know if i would be able to get the 030 package suspension w/o getting the package?
i dont see the point of it on the slk, u dont even get a lsd and id take hre'sover those 2 piece amg wheels any day.
thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 01:17 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
i think ur missing my point.
i agree w/ everything u said.
but a proper sports car "talks" to its driver, u can feel everything the car is doing, the slk is too filtered. i might still get 1, i need to test drive a few cars closer to my lease end date (oct.). as i said b4; this is only my opinion, i know every1 has a different definition of a sports car.

by the way
do u know if i would be able to get the 030 package suspension w/o getting the package?
i dont see the point of it on the slk, u dont even get a lsd and id take hre'sover those 2 piece amg wheels any day.
thanks
If you want an LSD, simply buy Kleemann's & get it installed. Likewise with rims....you can always get whatever style you wish. As far as the suspension/package nix question - I doubt it. You will have to ask a Dealer (they MAY be able to special order just the suspension IF perhaps you build your car to order - be prepared to wait for that option though - could be up to a year to get in line for a special "build to order" route). Good luck!

-Matt
Old 12-11-2005, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

go drive some

Cayman is out and I'm sure a nice dealer will let you test drive the SLK55.
Don't forget for the performance package you get the larger 14in rotors. Since you like to do a lot of canyon running that might help as well.

Last edited by SLK55R; 12-11-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:16 AM

2010 R8
Originally Posted by Jesseliu
Cayman is out and I'm sure a nice dealer will let you test drive the SLK55.
Don't forget for the performance package you get the larger 14in rotors. Since you like to do a lot of canyon running that might help as well.

I did test drive the cayman and while the handling was fantastic ... I don't know if you will like the low hp and torque. Especially coming from a CLK55.
How did you get a dealer to let you test drive the Cayman. At present all of those cars are owned by PCNA and no one 1s allowed to drive them, period.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cayman test

Sorry guys ... I've been test driving so many cars lately ... the car I test drove was the 997S ... all the sales there said that the cayman handled better. I didn't bother even asking about the cayman because of the low HP.
While the 997S has more hp than a stock SLK55 my thoughts were still stuck on a supercharged 55 motor. THe 997S handing was fantastic and with all the mags and sales (that said they drove it) I made a logical jump.

I've changed my post accordingly.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:52 AM

06 SLK55
I drove the 997 C4S a few weeks ago and must say it is a very nice car(as is the 997S) but...Porsche has engineered all the sould out of these cars. Yes the 997 is faster, handles better, has more luxury and handles better than the 996 or 993, but it doesnt talk to you like they used to. Truthfully, the 997S has no more road feel or soul than the SLK55...so i would say comparison is in order...

And although i havn't driven the cayman yet, the reviews seems to agree that it is a fabualously handling car...that your grandma would be happy to drive...again, no soul.

I chose the SLK55 over a new 997S simply because it offers the same or better experience fro 96% of driving and offers more luxury and isn't jsut another Porsche...