Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 06:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cubanite SLK55AMG
Is the SLK32 faster than the SLK55?

Hi Guys,

I'm taking delivery of my Cubanite '55 in a few weeks - last week I drove 3 different 55's with quite varied results which frankly puzzle me.

One was second hand with 2600km on the clock. I drove it hard and was so disappointed with it's only mildly better than average get-up-and-go I nearly canned the idea of a '55 on the spot! This is the 4th '55 I'd driven.

The next one (an hour later) was brand spanking new in the showroom at another dealer. It had only 25km on the clock! The dealer offered a test-drive - who am I to say no!!! This car was nearly twice as loud with roof up OR down and it blew me away with the way it got-up-and-went! THIS was the kind of performance that awed me so much in March in Australia's Snowy Mountains. Nearly incredible noise and a relentless surge of acceleration due to the torque and the 7G. It was an entirely different proposition to the previous car I'd just driven..

To make things more complicated - 3 days later another dealer drops by in the local demonstrator SLK55 - which had 940km on the clock. This car was in between the other two in terms of noise and mumbo - but the overtaking performance on a level road with full kick-down warp-factor-9-please-Mr-Sulu authority was just not impressive enough for what I know this car should be capable of, and a poor shadow of the SLK32 I had 2 years ago - which from delivery with 30km on the clock would pull your ears back in a nanosecond if you wanted it to.

Now comes the thinking. AMG engines are meant to be quite identical in performance, but the car will 'learn' the driver's mode of driving after a while and re-map it's throttle and tranny responses as well as ignition advance (the latter only to a minor extent). I can't believe this can alter the full-throttle perormance of a car - if it did then when Grandpa Joe drives your SLK55 for you while you're away on holiday you're in trouble when you get back in and need to power away from a big truck!

And how the heck can it affect the engine note! I drove all 3 cars equally hard (that's how I drive and is the reason I'm an AMG driver!) in very similar conditions.

My considered opinion is that the SLK32 is a clear winner compared to these cars in response and straight-line acceleration. The blower kept the engine torquey in the mid and high rpm range. I'm just really surprised...even the car with 25km on the clock was not as fast as the SLK32 - and it sure was damn quick! The SLK32 was NO MATCH for the SLK55 in any other area - although braking performance is similar.

The stopwatch doesn't help much as we all know - it depends on what you do with the wheelspin as to how quick your times are.

What do you guys think - and opinions from people who have driven/owned both cars would be the most useful here.

Performance:

SLK32AMG (claimed) 5.2s 0-100kmh, 13.8s 0-400m,0-1000m 24.8s.

SLK55AMG (claimed) 4.9s 0-100kmh, ?? 0-400m, 0-1000m 23.8s.

Cheers,

AUSSLK55AMG
Old 12-24-2005, 07:04 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Are you sure you didn't drive a 350 with an AMG kit on it?

I've heard several AMG's, and they all make the same engine noise. I've only sat in one (mine) and I do know it goes like stink and performs exactly as it should. I felt the most improvement once my engine ran up to 10,000km's, then it really started to haul ***, coulda been just a longer break in period.

Other things that might affect the way the cars drove were lower oil levels, clogged air filters and the adaptation of the automatic gearbox (it can take several hours for it to learn the correct driving style), nevermind the fact that you may have been running in confort mode as opposed to sport mode (this changes exhaust note a lot when hammering the accelerator).

The 55 has a little more power then the 32, but it has a lot more torque in a very even band. This helps it to perform quite well and should outrun a 32.

MB underrates their 0-60 times, and some reviews have clocked the 32 at 0-60 times below 5 seconds (like 4.9 or 4.8), whilst other reviews have clocked the 55 at 0-60 times as low as 4.3 seconds (one member even showed a drag strip time of 4.2 seconds). This would show that the 55 is definitely faster then the 32, but all engines vary between themselves a little, and other things can also affect times. For example by having much heavier rims...

But what comes to exhaust note, I would think that the 55's that did not sound right, had a problem somewhere...

A few 32 owners have upgraded to the 55, and they've all mentioned their cars being faster over the 32. Maybe you just remember your 32 being a bit more then it really was? (time has a tendency to warp our memories).

Last edited by Shinigami; 12-24-2005 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
We tuned a C55 not long ago by altering the timing and fuel load with the Star Diagnose. It took all of about 3 minutes and gave a better feel to the-pedal-is-being-affected-by-the-floor-resistance response.

AS time marches forward they tend to tweak the default settings and add and delete software defaults (like litres in the fuel tank, tyre pressure loss warner).

What you may find is a combination of learned senility and some old software settings - not to mention with the cost of fuel - Standard octane instead of premium (I have seen it many times). Sadly people buy AMG cars and then try to save $2 at the pump.

Hard to know what is going on unless you are the owner. Then at least we can eliminate fluffy variables caused by unkown persons. Certainly would look into the diagnostic option.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:04 PM
ON PROBATION

Simple answer? No, an SLK32 is not faster than an SLK55.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:15 PM

SLK32
The SLK55 is little faster than the SLK32.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Almost a Member!

Cubanite SLK55AMG
Hmmmm....

Interesting...

That's sweet - a 350 with a body kit!

I can't say I've never been duped by a car salesman but I always check under the bonnet when I drive an AMG - it's such a lovely sight to behold! I mean if you were going out with Pamela Anderson wouldn't you always peek down her cleavage at the every opportunity?

My post was to try and ascertain 2 things:

1) How can there be such a huge variation in individual car performance when they are all either brand new or very close to it? Can higher octane fuel make THAT much difference in such a high cap motor (I know it would have some)?

2) Why the 32's overtaking abililty was dramatically better than the 55's I've driven - much quicker to get up and go in the gears - but with 'only' 5 speeds couldn't do the 0-100 as briskly for obvious reasons.

The 32 is a LOT lighter (more than 100kg) than the 55 - so it's lower torque (450Nm) is offset by this and both have the same torque-to-weight ratio and the 32 has a higher power-to-weight ratio as a result (260kW). I think this could be why it's quicker once you're moving compared to the 55 as the relatively higher advantage in lower gears of the 7G isn't significant enough to offset the 32's higher power-to-weight ratio.

Any comments would be appreciated - this is going to bother me every time I put my foot down in my new car!

Cheers,

AUSSLK55AMG
Old 12-24-2005, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
my car is heavier than a c32 and i still beat 2 of them

no replacement 4 displacement
Old 12-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AUSSLK55AMG
Interesting...

That's sweet - a 350 with a body kit!

I can't say I've never been duped by a car salesman but I always check under the bonnet when I drive an AMG - it's such a lovely sight to behold! I mean if you were going out with Pamela Anderson wouldn't you always peek down her cleavage at the every opportunity?

My post was to try and ascertain 2 things:

1) How can there be such a huge variation in individual car performance when they are all either brand new or very close to it? Can higher octane fuel make THAT much difference in such a high cap motor (I know it would have some)?

2) Why the 32's overtaking abililty was dramatically better than the 55's I've driven - much quicker to get up and go in the gears - but with 'only' 5 speeds couldn't do the 0-100 as briskly for obvious reasons.

The 32 is a LOT lighter (more than 100kg) than the 55 - so it's lower torque (450Nm) is offset by this and both have the same torque-to-weight ratio and the 32 has a higher power-to-weight ratio as a result (260kW). I think this could be why it's quicker once you're moving compared to the 55 as the relatively higher advantage in lower gears of the 7G isn't significant enough to offset the 32's higher power-to-weight ratio.

Any comments would be appreciated - this is going to bother me every time I put my foot down in my new car!

Cheers,

AUSSLK55AMG
Take your car to the track and see what it does there. Also, turn off the ESP.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:49 PM

It's fast

I'd make sure it wasn't in Comfort mode and starting in second gear with milder tranny settings.

I can attest that my 55 is a blast to drive, even going up straight highway on-ramps, where I can drop my right foot and fishtail the car going in a straight line (flashing yellow triangle and all). It's not lacking for power, low end torque, or great rumbling V8 sound.

It doesn't quite give the warp-speed acceleration (or locomotive-like torque or howling sound under full power like tearing canvas) of my Ferrari 512TR, but the latter has 430 ponies and the justly famous boxer 12 engine...

From my perspective as a Ferrari and BMW M5 owner, the acceleration of the 55 is more than adequate.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:43 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
I find the 55 in kickdown chomps off huge chunks of road. I have driven 2....mine and one with 030 pkg that i test drove and i could not tell the difference. There is a difference in throttle response btwn C & S mode, but once you kick down, the car takes off regardless of mode.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Had a slk32 for about 7500 mi and traded for an sl55. Drove the Slk55 at the advanced AMG course, and found it faster, better handling, better braking better everything. The 7speed transmission kept the car in the power band which improved its perfomance in both straight away and road course speed.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:22 AM

SLK 55 AMG
AUSSLK55AMG: Not saying it's the case, but maybe you 'remember' the SLK32 being more then it is...

For example, I'm a big fan of the Miata/MX5, and it was the first convertible I drove (about 5 years ago) in southern France. The experience was mind blowing, with great twisty roads, country side lanes and highway action. The car was the first 'sporty' car I've driven, and fell in love with it.

Then just a year later, I got myself an SLK 230K because the looks were to die for, and finally I went over to the 55. Meanwhile, the MX5 had kept an impression on me all this time, it make me remember it as something quite extraordinary.

Well, a few months back I went to 'test drive' a used one, and franckly... I felt a bit disappointed. It didn't feel anywhere near as good as I remembered it being. Ok, it wasn't exactly bad, I mean I'm comparing it to a car with well over twice the torque and power, more gadgets, more toys. It's still a great car, but it was not what my last impression of it had been like...

Maybe you can find another 55 owner who could go test drive the same cars you drove. He might be able to give you his impressions and confirm if any of those cars is behaving out of ordinary?

Well, good luck with the 55 when you get it!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Cubanite SLK55AMG
You're probably right..

Guys - we are probably talking of my sweet memories of the SLK32....although I still can't fathom the difference between the different 55's I described. I just hope my car is one of the faster ones!

And Comfort Mode - what kind of imbecile invented that?

If I could lock it off permanently I'd be happier!

Cheers to you all - looking forward to taking delivery soon!

AUSSLK55AMG
Old 12-28-2005, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
What comfort mode?

mine doesn't have a comfort mode ...
Old 12-28-2005, 05:25 PM
ON PROBATION

I can't believe that this one is still going...must be the nostalgia thing.
I remember when I test drove an SLK32 back in ? in SoCal HEARSAY HAS IT THAT (get that HSA, CIA?) I blew by the dealership on the freeway going 150mph+ heading for the limiter, with the top down, and the salesman screaming, "Hey, isn't that the dealership? You're going to get me fired!" LOL How's that for how fast the SLK32 was, and nostalgia?
The SLK55 is a much better car, period.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:35 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Huh?

Originally Posted by Jesseliu
mine doesn't have a comfort mode ...
Yes you do. The little button next to the gear shift lever
M=manual
S=sport
C=comfort, which i generally use in traffic conditions as it starts out in second gear.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Both Are Only As Fast As...

you know ...it's driver.

"To make either be fast, send it's driver to school." And even then, there will always be someone faster unless your name is Alonso or perhaps, Schumacher.

BTW -- did you see that Alonso will join the McLaren-Mercedes F1 team in 2007. So will it be Juan Paublo or Kimi looking for a new team?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by slk55er
you know ...it's driver.

"To make either be fast, send it's driver to school." And even then, there will always be someone faster unless your name is Alonso or perhaps, Schumacher.

BTW -- did you see that Alonso will join the McLaren-Mercedes F1 team in 2007. So will it be Juan Paublo or Kimi looking for a new team?

kimi will smoke both alonso and MS in equal machinery
Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 AM

SLK 55 AMG
If you leave the car on S mode, it'll stay on that mode.

C mode is not that bad. The engine noise changes a lot, and it can be fun to drive in this mode if you want to relax.

However, if you set the car on M mode, it will not stay on the manual mode when you turn the car off, it'll revert back to S.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:06 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
"c" mode is better if you are in stop and go traffic....other wise my car is always in "s".....hey it could be more complicated like BMW's M mode in the new M5....why would someone want to keep that restricted at 400HP is beyond me.