SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

V12 Twin Turbo in SLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 190SL
I agree completely. With a nice exhaust it should sound purrrfect. (V12s do purr/growl) Anyways, are you getting a Brabus/AMG/Kleemann/etc body kit to spice up the look of the SLK, along with the big fat wheel/tire setup? What's your time frame?

At this time my only body change plans are flares following the existing lines of the SLK to fit the wider tires. Time frame: Doing the R&D now.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 PM

SL600 190SL
Sounds like a good idea... But you are going to kill yourself.. Whats wrong with the SLK 55 with a supercharger on it? Just thinking about the cost you could probably buy an SLR.

An SLK with the V8 is of limited appeal to me as I grew up loving the exotic sounds of European sports cars and NOT loving the sounds of chevy V8s which were in everything from Novas to trucks. There was a time when NASCAR was considered redneck V8 racing. Fact is a V8 in America is anything but exotic motor music. If I want a nice sounding V8 car I'll buy a Mustang or Perhaps the Maserati. For me, the sound of a motor is an important part of the driving experience. No motor sounds as sweet as the perfectly balanced V12. No motor is as smooth. A V8 is an inherently unbalanced motor. Listen to, e.g., an Aston Martin Vanquish with a nice exhaust and you'll be hooked on the sound of a V12!

Cost to build will be way under SLR cost. Also, SLR is not a convertible. SLR is not as small and drivable in real world conditions, traffic, etc.

SLKV12 will sound better than SLR and will be at least as fast!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by SLKV12TT
Sounds like a good idea... But you are going to kill yourself.. Whats wrong with the SLK 55 with a supercharger on it? Just thinking about the cost you could probably buy an SLR.

An SLK with the V8 is of limited appeal to me as I grew up loving the exotic sounds of European sports cars and NOT loving the sounds of chevy V8s which were in everything from Novas to trucks. There was a time when NASCAR was considered redneck V8 racing. Fact is a V8 in America is anything but exotic motor music. If I want a nice sounding V8 car I'll buy a Mustang or Perhaps the Maserati. For me, the sound of a motor is an important part of the driving experience. No motor sounds as sweet as the perfectly balanced V12. No motor is as smooth. A V8 is an inherently unbalanced motor. Listen to, e.g., an Aston Martin Vanquish with a nice exhaust and you'll be hooked on the sound of a V12!

Cost to build will be way under SLR cost. Also, SLR is not a convertible. SLR is not as small and drivable in real world conditions, traffic, etc.

SLKV12 will sound better than SLR and will be at least as fast!
LOL... Why not go buy a SL600 or SL65 if you like the sound. The V12 motor does not really have a great sound (SL65 has somewhat of a sound but I still prefer the SL55) it was made to be put in the S600 and SL600 to provide power with minimal disturbance to the driver.

When you talk about sound it has little to do with the motor(especially in modern engines) it has to do with the exhaust and how the sound waves come out. So you can change the sound of any motor by chaining the exhaust and the way the waves come out of it. You can make a chevy V8 sound like a ferrari and you can do the reverse make a ferrari V8 sound like a chevy V8.

And if you grew up listening to V12's then you would not like the sound of the V12 in the benz it is nothing like the older V12 european cars or even the past V12 mercedes.

This has to be the single stupidest idea I have heard, SLK with a V12 will have crappy weight distribution and will probably cost the same as 5 SL600's and probably wont be able to beat a stock SL600 in a simple drag race due to weight distribution and not being able to put the power down.

What kind of car/s do you drive now?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:54 AM

SLK55 AMG
I call BS....I think this guy has no v12, no slk55, and maybe even no drivers license......just someone trying to get attention.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:52 PM

SLK 55 AMG
I'd give the benefit of a doubt... sometimes you'd be surprised at the stuff people do "just because they can".
Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 PM

none
He knows a little too much to be a troll. But who knows? Anything is possible, even a V12 in the SLK.

I remember when the SLR motor was installed in the SLK, everyone was like "nah, its photoshopped" or "Some kid looking for attention" and than the video came out versues the Enzo and I heard...um... crickets chirping...

Good luck with the project! PICS!!!!?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:41 PM

SLK55 AMG
GREAT NEWS FELLAS....

I'm putting the Buggatti Veyron W16 quad turbo engine in my SLK55.

I expect 0 to 60 in well under 2 seconds and after I attach the retractable wings (with the help of renntech and nasa) I look to have the second privately owned space craft ever made .

By this time next year ill be letting you all know if Pluto really is a planet .

Bring on the questions!!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:47 PM

none
Originally Posted by Derelique
GREAT NEWS FELLAS....

I'm putting the Buggatti Veyron W16 quad turbo engine in my SLK55.

I expect 0 to 60 in well under 2 seconds and after I attach the retractable wings (with the help of renntech and nasa) I look to have the second privately owned space craft ever made .

By this time next year ill be letting you all know if Pluto really is a planet .

Bring on the questions!!
I guess there is always a pessimist.

The thing here is, it's actually do-able. Sure, it will take alot of elbow grease, but it can be done-- the SLR SLK is proof. I'm sure there was a "derelique" somewhere in the crowd when someone announced "Im putting the SLR engine in my SLK."
Old 09-28-2006, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Derelique
I call BS....I think this guy has no v12, no slk55, and maybe even no drivers license......just someone trying to get attention.
Yea I agree... I want pictures or ban!!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:01 PM

SL600 190SL
Pics will come when project progresses to that point. Twin turbo V12 is sitting in my garage along with a new six speed manual transmission (T56).
Old 09-28-2006, 04:23 PM

SLK55 AMG
What else is in your garage???

The cast of Family Guy perhaps?? Tell Peter I said hi.

Your garage isn’t made of ginger bread is it???? And just to confirm it is located on Fantasy Land Lane right?

You’ve got nothing on me anyway....

In my Garage you will find a Veyron engine complete with Halle Berry sitting on top of it in a black thong.....and im not done.... a topless Pamela Anderson is standing on Halles shoulders holding a sign that says
"Derelique make Tommy Lee look like Gary Coleman"

Honest. I'll send pics when the project progresses.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:22 PM

Talking

LOL

It's the end of a long day and that was classic!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Derelique, what are you going to do when he does posts pics up?

I just want him to do it now to shut you up!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Alpina B7
I still think this guy is serious. When it turns out he is and I get to go for a ride, I think me and him will be having the last laugh. He's no ClayJ, give him the benefit of the doubt. However man, send me a pic or two of the engine and tranny and I'll post them up here and we can get everyone to stop talking.. right?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:54 PM

SLK55 AMG
mercedesftw,

what will i do u ask.....

Ill post pics of my garage my gullible lil friend...and although i mentioned the lovely ladies atop the W16, i never mentioned whats below it...well prepare to be impressed because the W16 is sitting on miss Lindsey Lohans...she on her hands and knees as it sits uncomfortably on her back....and u wanna guess whos right behind the trouble making vixen....ill give ya a hint....

ITS ME!!!

Last edited by Derelique; 09-28-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Sounds good!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
This project sounds interesting, however, I'm not sure that an SLK is a good candidate for a V12 bi-turbo engine. If you want the V12 so bad, why not buy an SL65? Remember that SLK has a very short wheelbase, limited room for tires, and is already nose heavy. Putting a V12 bi-turbo engine in there will certainly upset the balance and overwhelm the chassis, which was never designed for this application. Such a car may be fast on a straight line, but will it be able to use this power in a controlled fashion and deliver a balanced performance? I don't think so....
Old 09-28-2006, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
SLKV12TT,

Post pics of the engine like I did at the beginning of my engine swap. Also, aren't you a bit early in choosing your username "SLKV12TT" when it hasn't even been done yet?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Pics will come when project progresses to that point. Twin turbo V12 is sitting in my garage along with a new six speed manual transmission (T56).
Just confirms that this is all BS. Pictures of V12 engine just "sitting" around with a pice of paper with the words "WHOs laughing now AndrewAZ" written in marker on top of the engine.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:40 AM

SL600 190SL
Presently in my garage is a Ferrari 512TR, a 2600 pound Ferrari 308 with a Ferrari 355 drivetrain/suspension/etc, a BMW Z1 undergoing an LS7 Z06 motor install, a twin turbo 993 Cabriolet (motor by Proto Tech), a Turbo widebody 993 Cabriolet, an XKE roadster having an XJR supercharged motor installed, a 288 GTO bodied Ferrari 308 awaiting an engine install (leaning towards a W12 motor/porsche transaxle).

Now, if someone will be so kind as to provide me some instruction on uploading photos I'll post the V12 photos. Also, may install the V12 seats, which I've also acquired.

With respect to balance and nose being heavy, please see earlier post on this subject. It's one thing for folks to "talk" and it's another to do. I've had my V12 motor, complete, on a scale and it came in at a rather light 520 (including exhaust/two turbos/intercoolers/wiring harness/computer/ accessories)

By the way, anyone know how much the 7 speed automatic weighs? I've heard it's rather heavy. The T56 is probably a bit lighter.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:15 AM

SL600 190SL
Not sure of weight of SLK55 motor but guess it to be around 488 pounds. (New 6.3 motor weighs 199 kg dry and 50 pounds less than current V8 so total dry weight for SLK55 motor around 488 pounds.)

The V12, with turbos/intercoolers/computer weighs 520 pounds and this is with some fluid still in it.

So that's 32 pounds more for 4 more cyl, two turbos and two intercoolers.

Supercharging the V8 is sure to add at least 32 pounds and most of it is up high on top of the motor which is not good for CG (center of gravity).

Now look under the hood of the SLK55 and you'll note a nice bit of room to move the engine rearward. I believe a well placed V12 will have BETTER balance than the V8.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:06 PM

2007 Alpina B7
Man, if this is true, which I believe since it has been very thorough and detailed, you are my hero. Next time I'm in LA, we are definitely hanging out. I'll PM you my email adress, email me the pics and theyll be up in no time. We'll see whos laughing then. (look in the top right corner of your screen, you should see that you have a private message) click it and send me your email
Old 09-29-2006, 06:41 PM

SLK55 AMG
thanks cantdriveonly55

It feels wonderful to be your hero and i will do my best to get u a pic of the engine, halle, pamela, and even lindsey......i simply suggest you do not open it at work, its far from appropriate.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Not sure of weight of SLK55 motor but guess it to be around 488 pounds. (New 6.3 motor weighs 199 kg dry and 50 pounds less than current V8 so total dry weight for SLK55 motor around 488 pounds.)

The V12, with turbos/intercoolers/computer weighs 520 pounds and this is with some fluid still in it.

So that's 32 pounds more for 4 more cyl, two turbos and two intercoolers.

Supercharging the V8 is sure to add at least 32 pounds and most of it is up high on top of the motor which is not good for CG (center of gravity).

Now look under the hood of the SLK55 and you'll note a nice bit of room to move the engine rearward. I believe a well placed V12 will have BETTER balance than the V8.
I have no idea how much the engines weigh, but its a fact that SL65 (v12) weighs about 300lbs more than SL55 (v8). If what you say is true, and the engines weigh about the same, than how can you explain such a huge weight difference between the SL65 and the SL55? From personal experience, I have driven both the SL500 and the SL600, and can tell you that SL600 feels much, much heavier. If you are indeed serious about the project (big IF here, you are yet to provide any pictures per request), than I am willing to bet that the finished product will weigh close to 4,000lb.

Last edited by Addicted2Speed; 09-29-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM

SL600 190SL
Thanks Cantdriveonly55! I've sent you some pics of a few of my cars and of the V12 TT in my garage.

To be blunt, I don't care if an SL600 "feels" heavier than an SL500 or SL65 over SL55.

Fact is I've had my V12 on a Longacre digital scale and it weighs 520 pounds with trace amounts of fluid, wiring harness, ECU, two turbos, two intercoolers, accessories, etc. What's more accurate? How a car "feels" or what a scale says a motor weighs? I'll go with the scale! Fact: This 60 degree V12 is not much heavier than the 90 degree V8.

I'm not sure how familiar folks are with the inherent balance of a V12 and imbalance of a V8, but check out their crankshafts: V12s need very little counter weights while V8s have lots of counterweight. I'd bet money the
V12 crank weighs LESS than the V8 crank. Next to the block the crank is by far the heaviest component in the motor. Moreover, the V12 is physically very small. It's a narrow block (60 degree) while the V8 is a wider motor (90degree).

As Hans and Franz would say on Saturday Night Live: "Hear me now believe me later!"
Again, the purpose of the post was posible assistance with tech experience. So, if anyone has any useful info please send it on.

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12 Twin Turbo in SLK