SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

V12 Twin Turbo in SLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 190SL
Weight: V12 weighs less than 100 pounds more than V8. Six speed will use custom aluminum flywheel and manual trans which I bet will weigh less than seven speed automatic w/ torque converter.

V12 music will be enhanced by minimal exhaust: Dynatech highflow cats (about 2.5 pounds each) and straight pipes: Result is much lighter exhaust system.

Bigger wheels/tires offset by use of lightweight wheels and lower profile tires (e.g. 25 series tires versus 40 series).

And Obvous: Lightweight battery relocated to spare wheel storage area and spare wheel tossed.

Target: 3300 to 3400 pounds / 600 plus hp.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Alpina B7
Well guys, at the risk of getting my head flamed off and having this picture turn out to be from somewhere else, I've got a pic of the V12 engine and bits of the seats he was referring to. V12TT I need a few more detailed pictures, namely this one: A picture of the V12 with a note on top stating MBworld- OWNED! That would be the best. However, for now, this is the only pic of the engine i have.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:45 AM

SL600 190SL
SL65 additional weight may stem from modificaitons described by EVO:

"As you'd expect, the chassis has been further tuned by AMG to cope with the increased loads. The auto 'box clutch- packs are uprated, as are the drive- shafts and hubs, and the beefed-up differential casing contains a clutch-type limited slip. The roll-resisting ABC suspension is recalibrated, as is the almost indispensable ESP traction and stability control system. The brakes are significantly upgraded, too, with huge 390mm diameter steel discs up front clamped by massive aluminium eight-pot callipers. At the rear there are 348mm/four-pots that wouldn't look out of place on the front of many a serious sports car. As standard the SL65 comes with 19in rims shod with 245/40 rubber up front and 275/35...

And thus, some more weight then the SL55.

But here's the truly cool thing:

"The result is that humungous 612bhp, delivered on a little plateau between 4800rpm and 5100rpm, and truly spectacular torque - no less than 737lb ft (1000Nm) between 2000rpm and 4000rpm. The SL55 and even the SLR don't get close, developing 516 and 575lb ft respectively. In fact, the torque of this extraordinary V12 is capped, presumably so as not to destroy the rest of the drivetrain - unrestricted it would churn out almost 900lb ft (1200Nm)"
Old 09-30-2006, 08:07 AM

Looking for a new toy.
I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt...because I'd LOVE to see the results of such a project if nothing else *L*.

All jokes aside, the guy has posted some detailed info and seems to have some knowledge of what he's talking about. In the overall scheme of things the SLK is not an overly expensive car and there are people out there with crazy amounts of money to do, basically, anything they want. So why not take (again relatively) an inexpensive car and do with it something different that no one has done before...if for no other reason than you CAN!

Looking forward to more pics.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:59 PM

2007 Alpina B7
funny how since I posted a picture everything got quiet.. At any rate, if you do the motor and uprated T56, might as well fully unrestrict the motor and have 900lb ft. You'd be able to walk most cars on the planet, once you got traction. Let us know how things are going!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:36 PM

Automatics are better suited for transmitting and managing high torque to the pavement. Torque converter and electronic controls of the automatics produce firm but smooth shifts eliminating the number one cause of transmission failure, driver train shock load.

The 7G Tronic transmission is more then capable of handling high torque motors. MB rates there transmissions in terms of continuous and momentary loads, momentary are rated 35% higher. The 7 speed W7A700 transmission torque continuous load rating is 700Nm, /560ft/lbs x 35% (momentary load) = 756ft/lbs. There will never be a time when that motor will produce 756ft/lbs of continuous torque.

TCMs are also variant coded, Rear end ratios/ transmission ratios are written into the transmissions control module, if you use an automatic transmission and if not matched to the car, soft ware wise the transmission will go into limp mode when a gear ratio error is seen. You will need the help of a tuner should this happens, also the 7G transmission torque converter clutch apply shift strategy is open or slip mode, the torque converter clutch is never fully lock up. This slip mode produces a lot of heat; I would install an auxiliary transmission cooler in series with the exciting cooler, if you decide to use an automatic.

Good Luck with your project.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
wow. this is gonna be nice when its done
Old 10-02-2006, 03:37 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by cantdriveonly55
funny how since I posted a picture everything got quiet..
It's not the first time derelique goes bonkers on this forum... A bit childish I would say. It's not as if people haven't done monster swaps before, so this kind of mod doesn't surprise me at all.

People said it would be impossible to swap a V8 into a Mazda Miata (MX5), yet it's been done many times since.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Many of these questions can be answered by
- visiting AMG in Germany
- speaking to the man who installed the SLR V8 in Dubai.

Speculation over what is and what is not possible is largely irrelevant.

If it was my project I wouldnt start with a car at all but a whole subframe.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Shinigami
It's not the first time derelique goes bonkers on this forum... A bit childish I would say. It's not as if people haven't done monster swaps before, so this kind of mod doesn't surprise me at all.

People said it would be impossible to swap a V8 into a Mazda Miata (MX5), yet it's been done many times since.
Brabus does it every day with all kinds of Benz cars.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:30 PM

SL600 190SL
Road and Track just tested the new 997 TT with a six speed manual and five speed auto. Five speed auto was FASTER in drag race! HOWEVER, despite speed, editors hoped the stick would stay around. Why? It aint just about speed. Once upon a time driving a sports car meant just that: Sport! My 512TR has a heavy clutch, heavy nonpower steering and a heavy shifter. It's work to drive but rewarding! I drive a car fast to enjoy the experience. To feel the sensation of shifting between gears and controlling the engine to transmission engagement.

Yes, the 7 speed auto would probably handle the power but you are also correct and noting the software issues. Also, even testers of the Black SLK55 have commented negatively about the auto box.

As for starting with a bare frame that's too much work. Been there. Done that. A merc is a magnifently designed/engineered/built car. Better to work WITH the existing design as much as possible.

Will likely use a stand alone (MOTEC) system to run motor but would like to use a modified Merc ECU if possible. I will contact MERC engineers for help!

Anyone have someone they know I should talk to about such mods to the ECU?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Many of these questions can be answered by
- visiting AMG in Germany
- speaking to the man who installed the SLR V8 in Dubai.

Speculation over what is and what is not possible is largely irrelevant.

If it was my project I wouldnt start with a car at all but a whole subframe.
I wish Mohammad Ben Sulayem in Dubai would explain how he twincharged his C32. I want to add TT to my C32 engine now. I guess it's easy for a guy in Dubai to do crazy swaps when you have loads of money and your own tuning shop, ie. Ben Sulayem Performance.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 AM

SLK55 AMG
Shinigami,

Bonkers? Childish?

Perhaps your a bit jealous of Halle, Pam, and Lindsey.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:08 PM

2007 Alpina B7
Any updates on the project?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
LOL, Derelique is still jealous. Go back to your .jpegs.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:41 AM

SLK55 AMG
mercedesftw,

Jealous of what? His car? The one we havent seen? The one that has zero pics showing any real proof? Or maybe im jealous of u......because ive always wanted to be a gullible lil **** ant....you want to see me jealous, show me proof and i will be.

Id love to see an slk55 with a ttV12 but that doesnt mean im going to get super excited like joe joe the idiot circus boy with his pretty little pet. Not when we have ZERO proof and this is a forum on the internet, where anyone can make up anything they want....hell, i heard one nut job say he was putting a Veyron W16 engine in his slk55

Now show us some pics that proves its real....like some one said, put a note on the engine....these things are not hard to do.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Well, my CLK is currently undergoing a jet engine swap, but we're having problems with the ECU so that is gonna delay it for another month or two.

But seriously, if this project is real, then it will kick serious ***. Definitely a hotter project than the SLR engine swap. Good luck, I'm sure everybody is looking foward to seeing the steps in this project as well as the final product.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:47 PM

2007 Alpina B7
He sent me some more pics of the V12 with "him" holding a measuring tape in front of it. The pics are pretty darn detailed for some he just picked up off google. And I cant seem to find any the same as the ones he sent. I responded and doubled my suggestion of putting a simple note saying "MBworld-- OWNED", but have yet to hear back..

on another note:
I'm adding another supercharger and afterburners to my exhaust on the S55. I want to be able to embarass everything out there, even the F/16 fighting falcon and the new JSF/YF24.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:05 PM

MT's are for drives who what to be in control and AT's are for drives who what to be out of control.

The conventional manual transmissions with a clutch pedal and shift stick will be obsolete in the near future and replaced by the semi autos such as Direct-Shift Gearbox, DualTronic and SMG II.

Try them for information on the ECU

http://www.beckmanntechnologies.com/policies.html
Old 10-07-2006, 05:56 AM

SL600 190SL
I'll take another pic of the motor tomorrow for "proof". Silly really.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:36 PM

2007 Alpina B7
hahaha. I believe you man, but if we could just see the doubters responses to a picture that is clearly of your motor, it would be all over!
Any updates on the install etc?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:08 AM

SLK55 AMG
it wouldnt hurt to have a pic of the seats too.....perhaps we can get of you standing by the motor looking coy.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:42 PM

1990 560 SEC (modified), SLK55, CLK500
how about a picture of you holding your credit (whichever has the highest limit) and another one of you holding your Driver's license. Come on, this is getting really silly. It's really simple, i'm around los angeles, just give me a ride in the car and i'll post back here.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55
Info from Homestead

I was told by one of the AMG people at the Homestead event that AMG has put the SLR engine in a couple of SLKs. They drove the car within the last month at a seperate event. (along with the new MB "batmobile" supercar.)
It was my understanding this was just a "play car" and o intent on manufacturing a lot of them.

Don't know anything else.

(This was not the Saudi car many of us have seen the video of.)
Old 10-10-2006, 04:55 PM

SLK55 AMG
Well wheres the pics?!?!?!?!?!?!?

mercedesft1,

Why cant u get your HERO to send some pics that prove he isnt full of *****?

maybe if u offer to do him a favor....hmmmmm....you ever hear of tea bagging?

sincerely,

Jealous Derelique

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12 Twin Turbo in SLK