Climate Control in SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Climate Control in SLK55

Hi Guys,
Most of the SLK55's available at the dealer do not have Digital Climate control

I need some opinions from current SLK owners in the US ( since it is not a standard option here) who do not have the DIGITAL climate control

Do you always have to fiddle with the air volume control to get you to a comfortable tempertaure?

Or for winter do you guys set the rotary temp , say to 72 and not fiddle much with air volume control since the climate control will take care of the rest?

Last edited by smjc_99; 01-13-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
I have the one with the digital numbers on it. I usually just leae it to around 22 (celcius) and it takes care of the rest keeping cabin temperature optimal.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:17 AM

I guess digi climate control works that way Shingami, But most of the cars on ground in USA do not have that Option unless it is ordered from factory. I was wondering how owners of non Digi climate control find the operation of Rotary temperature dial to be?

Since we do not have an Auto button does setting the temp to 70 or 72 takes care of the rest or do u we have to manually keep adjusting the air volume control for optimal comfort?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:20 AM

SLK 55 AMG
In the Swiss options catalogue, it states that by default, cars come with the Thermatic airconditioning system: "recuperation of residual engine heat, pollen/dust filter, air circulation contact with comfort mode and possibility to change this either for the driver, or passenger side of the cabin".

The Thermotronic system (which I have, i.e. with the digital display) in the Swiss catalogue says the following:

"In addition to what is offered on the Thermatic system, the Thermotronic system has an LCD screen, automatic regulation and distribution of air, sensors for sun light/heat and air quality control".

Basically, the digital one has the extra functions to regulate the quality and warmth of the air circulating in the cabin, whilst the standard one doesn't (if I understood this correctly).
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Received 134 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
Before purchasing my car, I did check that out with several dealers. I finally got a consensus that both systems are automatic climate control systems... You simply dial in or press in your desired temperature and the system automatically maintains it. There are a few minor differences including the cosmetic appearance, but they are basically the same. I have also read on the forums that quite a few people feel it's not a worthwhile option; money is better spent elsewhere.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:42 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
When I purchased my vehicle, the Digital Climate Control was part of a package costing $1700. It also included the garage door opener and rain-sensing wipers. Features that I don't care to have. Anyways, I passed on the option.

That said, I DID upgrade to the DCC afterwards. I purchased the module from MBENZL (do a search) for about $300-350. It was a 30 minute installation. It works fine and I prefer the look over the manual unit. Granted, they both work the same in regards to temp selection. However, the DCC automatically regulates fan speed and it looks better. For $300, DCC makes sense. For $1700, it wasn't worth it IMO.

Lastly, with the upgrade, I believe I missed out on 1 or 2 sensors. I do know there is a seperate vent control on the dashboard with vehicles including DCC. I do not have that either.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't change anything. Just get the DCC afterwards and save $1300 for other mods.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the replies:

DSB
When you had the Non Digital climate control does the system control the blower speed to get to the desired temperature that is set thru TEMP Rotay Dials ?

Chris,
What has been your experience?, the manual says that the climate control will maintain the desired temperature but I guess it will by either pumping more hor air or by pumping more volume
Old 01-14-2007, 11:23 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
From what I remember with the Manual unit, The temp control was automatic but the fan had to be continually adjusted. That was a bit annoying to me. Now, I just select the temp and leave it in Auto.

Also, The DCC has a button to quickly clear fog from the front windshield. I believe the manual unit does not have that function.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 134 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
Originally Posted by smjc_99
Thanks for the replies:

DSB
When you had the Non Digital climate control does the system control the blower speed to get to the desired temperature that is set thru TEMP Rotay Dials ?

Chris,
What has been your experience?, the manual says that the climate control will maintain the desired temperature but I guess it will by either pumping more hor air or by pumping more volume
I have the Digital Climate Control; Before purchasing my car I briefly considered importing a car from the US, so that’s when I checked into the climate control options. The Canadian cars have DCC as standard equipment. I cannot comment on the air flow characteristics of the other system as I have never used it. I was, however, under the impression that the fan and vent controls were automatic in both systems; I’m sure the dealer could clarify this for you.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
I have the non-digital temperature control and it does require constant fiddling with the blower speed. However I often find the seat and neck warmers sufficient and can avoid the temperature controls all together.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:31 PM

1990 560 SEC (modified), SLK55, CLK500
the fan controls have to be continuously adjusted...VERY annoying. DCC also looks much better.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:38 PM

SLK55, Aprilia RST
I originally declined the auto climate option because I thought the manual dials looked better, & felt it was over priced. However, in the end I changed my mind because I wanted the auto wipers & garage door opener. I leave the auto set on one temp for myself and a slightly higher temp for my passenger. The only time I fiddle with it is when I have the top down & the outside temp is near my setting (72F), making it blow more cold air than I want. In that case I turn it off. For cold days I just love the airscarf.