LugBolts - snapping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
LugBolts - snapping

Anyone else have this issue? I noticed that the SLK55 Lugbolts are smaller than the E55k bolts. 12 mm vs 14 mm.

I've been snapping my renntech bolts, Carlsson bolts like crazy and finally had adam make me some custom bolts that are a lot stronger.

Because of this I was thinking of centerlock system. can we convert our cars to a centerlock system?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Geez, I guess that's what massive torque will do to you. That's crazy that they're snapping off! Have you simply tried your stock bolts? Do they match (cone/ball) your AM wheels? PS, Are your wheels the correct hub size? If not, do you use hubcentric rings? I'm just wondering if you're not, perhaps that's the cause of extra, undue stress to the bolts.

Last edited by dsb; 12-30-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hrmp

Originally Posted by dsb
Geez, I guess that's what massive torque will do to you. That's crazy that they're snapping off! Have you simply tried your stock bolts? Do they match (cone/ball) your AM wheels? PS, Are your wheels the correct hub size? If not, do you use hubcentric rings? I'm just wondering if you're not, perhaps that's the cause of extra, undue stress to the bolts.
Can't use my stock bolts ... offsets are different. Yes they are the right type of bolts for the rims. The bolts came from renntech for the renntech rims and same for the carlsson rims. Renntech doesn't need spacers ... the Carllsson use hubcentric spacers.

I've snapped about 7 Renntech bolts and about 12 carlsson bolts all on the rear rims. Never on the fronts.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I just dont get it. Those lugbolts should be stronger than that. I've seen bolts snap on cars usually at an AutoX whereas you're snapping them off at the drag strip. It might sound like a dumb question, but are you certain you're torquing the wheels to 80ft/lbs? There has to be a reason they're snapping unless it's simply due to those sticky drag radials.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Those bolts are just poorly built.

Wait till he uses the new ones.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

torquing

They are being torqued at the recommended ft/lb by each of the different vendors ...

Heh I can't wait to use the new ones too ... of course they cost as much as a set of tires ...
Old 12-30-2007, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by SLK55R
They are being torqued at the recommended ft/lb by each of the different vendors ...

Heh I can't wait to use the new ones too ... of course they cost as much as a set of tires ...
Heat treated 17-24 steel.......

Now its time for more power....how about a pair of new cams?

Adam
Old 12-30-2007, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cams

You know my answer to that ...
When is Oliver arriving???

Btw I really want to know if we can find someone to widen the rear fenders an inch. I want to be able to throw 285 rubber back there. All this power and no good way of getting it to the ground is annoying.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
You know my answer to that ...
When is Oliver arriving???

Btw I really want to know if we can find someone to widen the rear fenders an inch. I want to be able to throw 285 rubber back there. All this power and no good way of getting it to the ground is annoying.
He might be coming in the middle of january. He's bringing Karl Otto with him again. Right now he's at a mountain ski resort in Germany so his reply is delayed by about few hours.

I'll try to find someone to do the custom widebody kit for ya.

How about port/polish your heads?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:38 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
+1 for the first widebody SLK!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
I am shocked to hear this happen, and not just once, but a few times. I have to admit, something does not sound right. There are cars with much more power then these still 5 lug and bolts should never have a reason to snap. They would only snap for a few reasons.

1. Incorrect bolt size
2. bolts over torqued
3. bolts under torqued
4. incorrect bolts for wheels
5. bolts to short

Correct bolts will not just snap. Even if they are cheap made in china bolts. they would not snap if they are correct.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:41 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I agree with Neal. It's definitely one those issues. Here's a question I posted awhile ago and two answers received. I think it sums it up nicely.

Originally Posted by dsb
Okay, MB makes hub-centric wheels @ 66.6mm. However, most aftermarket wheels have larger openings to accomodate various size hubs. In that case, you need a plastic/aluminum hub-centric ring to fill in the space.

My question is this.

Does the hub actually carry any load in either the OEM of AM form? Or, does it simply help center the wheel for balance? Is all the load really on just the lug bolts? And if you do need a hub-centric ring, should you opt for the aluminum one?

Thanks in advance... .

Originally Posted by SLcharger
The hub does not carry any load. The function of the hub-centric ring is only to center the rim to the hub. When fitting the wheel to the hub, the weight of the whole wheel is carryed by the centric ring, and if it is the plastic one, there is the risk that it will give in and the wheel is running slightly out of round. By using the Aluminum ring, you get a 100% centering of the wheel.

The radial loads from the wheel is transmitted from the rim to the hub by friction between the two surfaces. When the lugbolts are tensioned with a torquewench, the lugbolt will stretch and the force from the bolt is pressing the rim to the hub, and friction does the rest. That is why it is prohibited to grease the surface, since friction thereby will be reduced. only greasing allowed is the thread of the lug bolts, never the conus

The axial loads ( sideway loads ) are taken directly by the bolts.
Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
centering rings and hubcentric wheels do transfer a good amount (a majority) of the load to the center hub ... lugbolts are not designed to hold up a car ....
Old 12-31-2007, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Well then, maybe the vendors that sold the lugs and wheels might want to comment on that?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by dsb
I agree with Neal. It's definitely one those issues. Here's a question I posted awhile ago and two answers received. I think it sums it up nicely.
Just to add to both those replys. Yes, the hub does carry a load. This is also noticied when you run wheels that require centering rings and dont have them in, you will feel a vibration because the wheel would be moving up and down, side by side when driving because the lugbolts cannot just hold the wheel in place perfectly while the car is moving at speeds.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by AdamG@EVOtech
Well then, maybe the vendors that sold the lugs and wheels might want to comment on that?
Did you call the vendors you got the bolts from? if so what did they say the reason was for snapping?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hub

both rims sit perfectly on the hubs. Its not a hub issue.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 AM

1990 560 SEC (modified), SLK55, CLK500
The hub only centers the wheel and holds vertical loads. When you accelerate and decelerate, the friction produced between the wheel and the hub mating surfaces should be bearing the majority of the rotational load...anyway...it's gotta be that amazing torque.

If it's really bothering you, i'll trade cars with you! btw, have you ever had catastrophic failure (wheels fall off) or do the just crack when you remove them?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
I'm glad I saw this post because I had a very interesting conversation with my car insurance company rwo years ago. I was driving on city streets at about 40mph. I hit a bump. Not too bad of a bump. Similar bump as will be seen on many metropolitan city streets. Well guess what happened.......my right rear wheel fell off and the right rear corner of the car was sitting on the ground. Completely true story. I came out of the car, totally bewildered. I picked up the rear wheel which by now was about 50ft behind me in the bushes. I inspected it and the lug bults had simply snapped off. I had aftermarket rims that had been on the car for the previous 2 years. No recent tire or rim change. You can imagine trying to explain that to the insurance company when filling a claim.

Ted
Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

failure

well most times I caught it when a lugbolt snapped and had it replaced quickly.

Unfortunately one specific time I did not catch this and all 5 lugbolts from the right rear snapped. Luckily no damage to the car.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
well most times I caught it when a lugbolt snapped and had it replaced quickly.

Unfortunately one specific time I did not catch this and all 5 lugbolts from the right rear snapped. Luckily no damage to the car.
I remember seeing that at our last Sacramento meet.... and yeah that was crazy seeing those lugbolts cracked

Did you get your new bolts yet?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yup got the bolts

now I"m waiting on the Renntech Rims to come back. I'll have them installed back on the car on Saturday. I sent them out to get flat black powdercoated!

I'll have adam take some pics after the install.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
now I"m waiting on the Renntech Rims to come back. I'll have them installed back on the car on Saturday. I sent them out to get flat black powdercoated!

I'll have adam take some pics after the install.
Nice
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 PM

2004 C230 Kompressor Sport sedan 6 speed manual, 2013 S550 Sport 20" AMG
Anti-seize compound on the lugbolts causes them to be torqued much higher than the wrench setting indicates. It's not recommended. Could this be the issue?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 AM

From Affalterbach to Zuffenhausen
I wanted to bump this thread, possibly get some resolution. Ive pm'd SLK55R about this but maybe others can comment as well.

I have the same problem, specifically with my C55. Renntech Monolites, 18x8.5 +32 F and 18x9.5 +36R. Wrapped in RE01Rs, received lugs from renntech, and snapped them. I assume that they sent me the right ones as I stated which wheel and car I had. My rears had to be cut as I've heard is common with MBs due to screwing up the parking brake. I had about 3 snap inside. They sheared right off, I can even post up pics if necessary.

Im hoping to find a solution though so I can put them back on the C55 or my SLK55 but am fearing snapping more lugs and a wheel falling off (Already happened once but luckily I was going slow and there was no severe damage).
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

torque rating

I switched to ... BMW lug bolts ... and just cut them down a bit. Also changed my torque to about 85ft/lbs. No snapping since.

I also changed the rear left hub which might have been the cause.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LugBolts - snapping