SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Cayman vs Kleemann

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 RX-7, SLK55
Cayman vs Kleemann

I was driving home from dinner with the wife & pull up to a light next to a Cayman S whom I'd slowly passed earlier on pretty desolate road. The P car has a fella & his girlfriend/wife w/him. I just drove normal but as we approach the highway on-ramp, he inches up on my quarter panel & takes the outside lane. We both proceed through the long curved on-ramp & he's going to show me his world class handling car...uh oh - maybe not . I sped up & hear his tires begin to squeal (the top was down) as his P-car is on the edge of adhesion - my SLK (having the inside lane) is hardly being pushed so I am able to put about half a car on him without pushing the SLK's limits at all.

Now, the curve turns into a straight & I hear is Cayman S motor start screaming - uh oh - his car didn't win the handling contest so he's going to show me, "this ain't no Boxster" (maybe he didn't see the V8 Kompressor badging on the SLK quarter panels or the Kleemann K55 S7 on the rear).

I NEVER push this SLK but this was just too tempting, so...... I mashed the throttle at ~ 50 mph. He hung next to me for about 1 second until the SLK starting getting traction (damn traction control light was still blinking @ 80 mph). In any case, he dissippated quickly. I looked back at about a buck twenty & had ~ 10 cars on him (he was still trying to catch up...and did when I just slowed back down & stayed at 70 mph for the ride home). He just drove by - I'm betting he was asking himself WTF happened. That guy got absolutely crushed.

Like I said, I don't really ever push the car (it's really the wife's car) but it assured me Kleemman power is pretty impressive.

Thought I'd share. See ya guys.
-Matt
Old 03-23-2008, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
I was driving home from dinner with the wife & pull up to a light next to a Cayman S whom I'd slowly passed earlier on pretty desolate road. The P car has a fella & his girlfriend/wife w/him. I just drove normal but as we approach the highway on-ramp, he inches up on my quarter panel & takes the outside lane. We both proceed through the long curved on-ramp & he's going to show me his world class handling car...uh oh - maybe not . I sped up & hear his tires begin to squeal (the top was down) as his P-car is on the edge of adhesion - my SLK (having the inside lane) is hardly being pushed so I am able to put about half a car on him without pushing the SLK's limits at all.

Now, the curve turns into a straight & I hear is Cayman S motor start screaming - uh oh - his car didn't win the handling contest so he's going to show me, "this ain't no Boxster" (maybe he didn't see the V8 Kompressor badging on the SLK quarter panels or the Kleemann K55 S7 on the rear).

I NEVER push this SLK but this was just too tempting, so...... I mashed the throttle at ~ 50 mph. He hung next to me for about 1 second until the SLK starting getting traction (damn traction control light was still blinking @ 80 mph). In any case, he dissippated quickly. I looked back at about a buck twenty & had ~ 10 cars on him (he was still trying to catch up...and did when I just slowed back down & stayed at 70 mph for the ride home). He just drove by - I'm betting he was asking himself WTF happened. That guy got absolutely crushed.

Like I said, I don't really ever push the car (it's really the wife's car) but it assured me Kleemman power is pretty impressive.

-Matt
He must've thought it was a 350
Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Nicely done, if that was me I would of gave him a few cars upfront and then mash the pedal and put 3 times the distance give the amount of horsepower and torque you have.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:04 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
What good is all that power if you never use it? I bet he was thinking wtf... questioning his purchase. Better yet, he's probably at home googling "Kleeman" right now as we speak.

Too bad you didn't get his contact information. Otherwise, Addicted2speed would have a buyer.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:07 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
I posted this "kill" in the wrong section. Oh well, no big deal I guess.

Addicted, are you selling your SLK per Dan's post above?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:33 PM

E36 M3, 82 f-150 4x4
Great story Yellow R1. I'd love to hear a story about you having the same results against an MB in your RX-7. I had one and loved it. Many members here look down on anything not MB, especially a "rice burner" as they are known on here. I would imagine you would not get the same embrace if the tables were turned. Don't get me wrong, MB's are incredible cars, AMG's are beasts(wish I could afford one). It's just that I read all about how people seem to look down on anything but MB. I'm quite sure your RX-7 would wipe the smile off of many MB drivers.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Nice representation!
Old 03-23-2008, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by gv96m3
Great story Yellow R1. I'd love to hear a story about you having the same results against an MB in your RX-7. I had one and loved it. Many members here look down on anything not MB, especially a "rice burner" as they are known on here. I would imagine you would not get the same embrace if the tables were turned. Don't get me wrong, MB's are incredible cars, AMG's are beasts(wish I could afford one). It's just that I read all about how people seem to look down on anything but MB. I'm quite sure your RX-7 would wipe the smile off of many MB drivers.
Not all MB owners feel that way...I love the Supras and RX-7s from back in the day...also the old 300Zs also.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
I posted this "kill" in the wrong section. Oh well, no big deal I guess.

Addicted, are you selling your SLK per Dan's post above?
Not really definitively selling it at this moment, but I'm moving to Boston soon and will need to get a bigger more winter-friendly car in September/October.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:00 PM

i like to ride my bike

-Matt
nice kill, but no real contest there! did you mod your suspension? Otherwise I have to really doubt that the SLK is better handlingwise.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:34 PM

E36 M3, 82 f-150 4x4
Originally Posted by c32used
Not all MB owners feel that way...I love the Supras and RX-7s from back in the day...also the old 300Zs also.
No, not all feel that way, probably only a small percentage do. The small percentage seem to be the most outspoken on their kill stories. Thank you for reading and responding to my post the way you did. I did not want to come across as disrespectful to MB drivers. As I said, I think they are great cars, one of the best made. It's just nice to see respect shown for other cars than the ones we drive. If I had found a twin-turbo RX-7 before I found my M3, that would be the car I would be driving. I've only seen one Supra on the road, it was behind a Mustang(not for long though), so much bigger than I thought it would be. It easily cruised by the Mustang and disappeard into the distance. Thanks again for understanding what I was trying to say.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by F_Porsche
nice kill, but no real contest there! did you mod your suspension? Otherwise I have to really doubt that the SLK is better handlingwise.
A stock SLK55 travles through the slalom 68.8 mph, the Cayman S at 70.6.
The SLK is a .91G lateral acceleration car, the Cayman S at .95.
If you think a 1.8 mph & a .04 lateral G# advantage are significant, you would be wrong (the numbers would further shrink due to & softer rubber compound & wider footprint on our SLK vs a stocker).

I was also in the inside lane (his car had to run faster to keep up with the SLK, which it couldn't, because the differences noted above are much too close to overcome his outside lane disadvantage).

GV, it's been my limited experience that people on the MB forum are pretty intelligent & win or lose, they don't really care what car you drive (as long as you don't drive like a fool & endanger anyone else). Thanks for the RX-7 comments - attached a pic for you.

Addicted, makes perfect sense & you are a wise man to plan ahead now vs waiting until the cold weather is upon you in 9 months. Good luck in your quest.

-Matt
Attached Thumbnails Cayman vs Kleemann-yr1b.jpg  

Last edited by Yellow R1; 03-23-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 AM

E36 M3, 82 f-150 4x4
I agree with you on that Yellow R1. Beautiful picture of the RX-7. It must be a real screamer when you get on it.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Nice kill. Dont know what he was thinking trying to race you in a gaymen They arent fast in a straight line
Old 03-24-2008, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
scream babay scream!

I agree with you on that Yellow R1. Beautiful picture of the RX-7. It must be a real screamer when you get on it.
Yeah I think I did scream a little when he got on it ... that thing is FAST!

Matt you will have to take me on a ride in that RX-7 again someday!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 PM

E36 M3, 82 f-150 4x4
Originally Posted by SLK55R

You're a lucky guy to sit in the passenger seat(with the seatbelt on of course). If you ever make a video of you guys going for a cruise, you gotta post it. Nothing sounds like a Rotary.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:11 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by SLK55R

Jessie, of course - anytime - it's just a car. From what I can tell, it's a mid 11 sec car (based on two stock C6 ZO6 pulls)? It's still running the stock twins so there is no turbo lag (nice for daily driving but limits top Hp - switching to a single provides ~ 550 rwhp but you get some lag - it has adequate power with the twins for me).

When I get out of the RX-7 & into the SLK, I feel like I have just emerged from a Pepsi can & entered a bank vault. It's a fun car as you may recall - just not built like a Panzer (it weighs 2,670 lbs...the SLK weighs 3,400).

GV, the RX-7 is pretty loud when the 2nd turbo engages ~ 4,000 rpm.

Black - he was clearly wanting to have some fun - nothing wrong with that.

-Matt
Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 PM

E36 M3, 82 f-150 4x4
I always did like Pepsi.
Yellow R1, You get 405whp with stock turbos?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
I always did like Pepsi.
Yellow R1, You get 405whp with stock turbos?
Yes, at 1.1 Bar.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM

E36 M3, 82 f-150 4x4
Yes, at 1.1 Bar.
That must sound insane!.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
Ahmad, I'm going to tell my bro what you said about Caymans S's!!

Here's some cool video footage of my brothers Cayman S modded by APR. It's VERY nice. Can't hang with Ahmads CLK of course.. who can!

CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR VIDEO http://www.bodmerdes********/Porsche/Cayman_APR.html

Last edited by bensitto; 03-29-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by bensitto
Ahmad, I'm going to tell my bro what you said about Caymans S's!!
Hey Leo! Your brothers Cayman isnt exactly a regular cayman!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:32 PM

2010 SLK 350, 2010 Infiniti FX 35, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1988 CRX SI
Nice presentation. No sound?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
True, definitely not stock.

There is sound on the video... turn up your speakers or update your quicktime. it's free. At http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Hey Leo! Your brothers Cayman isnt exactly a regular cayman!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
I just realized it's a Cayman S and not a Cayenne S you were talking about. I was like "Cayenne's are that fast?!"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman vs Kleemann